Would You Smack Your Children?

Cronky

The Kiwi's have just has a national referendum on whether or not parents should be allowed to smack children:

NZers vote 'NO' for smack as criminal offence

90% voted in favour of smacking.

Now, whoever said NZ was PC?

No they didn't - 90% of people voted that smacking shouldn't be made illegal.

Quite a different thing to being "in favour of smacking" in fairness.

The Kiwi's have just has a national referendum on whether or not parents should be allowed to smack children:

No they didn't - 90% of people voted that smacking shouldn't be made illegal.

Quite a different thing to being "in favour of smacking" in fairness.

Good point

Take them to lao's class and therefore other kids will smack them for you.

I personally would not smack my Daughter, and dont agree with smacking, though I was smacked as a child it did me no hard... but sadly if its allowed it could be taken too far.

i would smack my child,

but then again how do u define a smack, and in what contect it is used

is it just a little smack on the ass, that does not hurt but the child knows thay done wrong, or even a smack on the arm, no real pain but the child knows its done wrong.

its all about moderation and used in the right way,

like if your smacking a child for every bad thing it does then that is wrong, not a right way to be. and the child will never learn.

but sometimes it is needed. not every child some are better than others.

it did me no harm, but then again i wasent smacked everyday or even everyweek, but there was times when i was a right little bugger and smacking was the last and only thing i knew.

but we all diffrent and we all know which way we will bring our children up, some will use a smack like above otheres would never dream of it. and then theres some that just go to far.

I wouldn't smack any child but I would smack you all with my boobies!

And when they smack they really do SMACK !!!

:blink:

A smack is very different to physical abuse or a beating. Sometimes, the only thing to bring a child down is to smack them, if they get into a paddy, reasoning and cajoling does nothing, but a smack to the bottom just stops the escalation. Also, if a child is being particularly willful, especially in a dangerous situation, then a smack brings them to the realisation that really Mum is the ultimate controller in that situation. Having said that, I only smacked my children a very few times. I never 'enjoyed' it and only used it as a last resort, and never used it as a punishment for a past offence, much more effective was to show immense disappointment. It is now years since I have been in the position where a smack was in the offing, how glad am I.

I don't think smacking should be illegal, it shouldn't be encouraged and, certainly, many a blind eye to real physical abuse should be avoided. But you have to allow parents, most of whom do actually love their children, the right to bring their children up in the manner and under the strictures that come naturally to them - they know their children best, and should be allowed to get on with the job as best they can. Society and law should be a safety net, not a prescription for every eventuality, not unless society would like to take care of my kids for the odd weekend when I could do with a rest, because that is what nannies do, isn't it?

Stopping smacking will go no way to preventing awful tragedies like Baby P, but it will make parenting for the majority much more difficult and could act as a state-imposed abrogation of a parent's obligation to do their best.

Take them to lao's class and therefore other kids will smack them for you.

I personally would not smack my Daughter, and dont agree with smacking, though I was smacked as a child it did me no hard... but sadly if its allowed it could be taken too far.

I believe that argument is a fallacy - there are plenty of existing laws and protection mechanisms that clearly deal with assault and abuse and detail the differences between those crimes and smacking.

i.e. there's a big difference between a parent giving their child a slapped arse in Tesco, than those giving their child a punch in the face or a punch/poke in the ribs in Tesco. The open hand across the arse "the smack" is a generations old symbol of that difference.

The only people this debate really affects are those bringing up disciplined and better behaved kids who smack when 'negotiations have failed', and there is little recourse other than to lay down the hand and final judgement of parental law in a firm way. To suggest smacking be made illegal is an attempt to do nothing more than criminalise them, when without those disciplined and better behaved kids the world would have completely gone to hell in a handcart by now.

All credit to you if you can negotiate, but it ain't always possible - however much those against smacking may think it always is. How can you always negotiate with a person who doesn't understand how the world works, won't pay any attention to something that might get him/her seriously injured 'just cos his mate is doing it', continually causes damage for divillment, and maintains that opinion through that lack of knowledge? Families need boundaries. If you can't respect your own, you won't respect those of others and society. It's easier negotiating with terrorists sometimes.

I do however think it's only fair to warn kids about impending smacks. I used to use a 'traffic light' system, growling at the kids that they were on 'orange' and then growling louder they were on 'red' alert. It gave them time to think about what they were doing and why I was asking them not to do it, and if they didn't - smack! My rules, firm but fair, and they grew up to be two great kids who I am really proud of. edited to add: and I only ever smacked them few times, so it seemed to work well for our family.

Edited by Albert Tatlock

I see where you and Gladys are coming from, its just my own personal feelings on the matter. I suppose I can count my blessings that my Daughter was never so naughty that I felt the need to smack her, she has been known to push the boundries like any 10 yr old, but having already installed a good discipline system in place with excellent boundries, she respects this with out the need for any physical contact from myself.

My Daughter is also growing up a great kid without a smack ever needed.

edit to add.. I think the down fall is discipline in general, no amount off smacking will bring respect for right & wrong IMO