Monday Racing Cancelled

bluemonday

Considering the millions/billions this Island has, we should be thoroughly ashamed of ourselves for the piss poor facilities we have, it's a feckin joke! I've seen village fetes look more professional than this toss. There should be a permanent camping area, concreted with pathways with water and power outlets, top notch shower/hygiene facilities...if they can do it for the wealthy yacht owners at the marina's why the hell not for the riders? Also throw in a large lounge/communual area.

Completely agree. If we really believe we have a tourist experience to offer, then there has to be a better response than we have seen today. It was pretty shameful, not least because there were so many people trying to help, but had no way of delivering.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ummmm, kinda think the point is being missed. If it didn't cost that damn much to get over here and home again by boat (ferry) then tourists of whatever kind could afford to spend more money on their chosen accommodation.

The paddock and campsites are a case of needs must in many cases, not a case of need to be part of the Caravan Club or hardy camping brigade!

Edited by PROOKAL

Ummmm, kinda think the point is being missed. If it didn't cost that damn much to get over here and home again by boat (ferry) then tourists of whatever kind could afford to spend more money on their chosen accommodation.

The paddock and campsites are a case of needs must in many cases, not a case of need to be part of the Caravan Club or hardy camping brigade!

And where would they park their mobile workshops, no matter where you race most competitors camp

And is the DTL co-oridnating anything to help? No. I have offered my washing machine, bath and tumble dryer to anyone getting in touch with the Welcome Centre, but they haven't been told, or taken the inititiave themselves, to co-ordinate anything!!

We really do not deserve a tourism industry.

Quite a lot of us do not want a tourism industry, especially if the tourist is on a bike.

And is the DTL co-oridnating anything to help? No. I have offered my washing machine, bath and tumble dryer to anyone getting in touch with the Welcome Centre, but they haven't been told, or taken the inititiave themselves, to co-ordinate anything!!

We really do not deserve a tourism industry.

Quite a lot of us do not want a tourism industry, especially if the tourist is on a bike.

And what type of industry do you want

Considering the millions/billions this Island has, we should be thoroughly ashamed of ourselves for the piss poor facilities we have, it's a feckin joke! I've seen village fetes look more professional than this toss. There should be a permanent camping area, concreted with pathways with water and power outlets, top notch shower/hygiene facilities...if they can do it for the wealthy yacht owners at the marina's why the hell not for the riders? Also throw in a large lounge/communual area.

Maybe that question is one that the politicians might like to reply to?

A more straight forward question for every politician to answer might be;

Do you as a politician, want the TT and MGP to continue ... or not?

However, I'm just going to spin this round a little to see where it goes; if it comes down to finance, would the public pay more tax (or something) to pay for it?

Quite a lot of us do not want a tourism industry, especially if the tourist is on a bike

That’s a very bold statement to make Domino, so to see if it will ever stand up, can you qualify the term "Quite a lot" in terms of numbers or percentages, and where you derive these figures from ???

Oh, and before anyone jumps, I’m asking this question in general terms, and not just in relation to the mention of "Bikes" ;)

Don't be daft KMC the statement is patently true. Quite a lot of people think pretty much anything.

It's obvious that sizeable proportion of the Island wished the mgp & tt would cease. Not a majority, but you wouldn't want to invite them all to tea-tea.

is anything happening tonight ?, roads were supposed to be closing 6pm but there's still cars passing the bungalow on the cameras, no commentary on manx radio

this is on the iomtoday site but dated 28th August, are they spychic or something or did it really happen last week ?

Published Date: 28 August 2009

THIS evening's Manx Grand Prix races have been cancelled following a crash in the Oriisdale/Alpine area of the course, just north of Kirk Michael.

The Junior Classic and Lightweight Classic classes were due to get away at 6.30pm after the action was postponed from a 2.45pm start with the threat of bad weather imminent.

Roads around the Mountain Course were due to close at 6pm but will now remain open.

However, the section of road between Ballaugh Bridge and Orrisdale north has been closed by police as emergency services attend to the incident. Motorists are being warned to avoid the area at the time.

Edited by Tempus Fugit

It's obvious that sizeable proportion of the Island wished the mgp & tt would cease. Not a majority, but you wouldn't want to invite them all to tea-tea

Declan,

I was referring to tourism in general, and not just the Bike related visitors - See my post!!

Oh, and before anyone jumps, I’m asking this question in general terms, and not just in relation to the mention of "Bikes"

If the numbers are high with regard to not wanting visitors to the island, then whats the cause of this decision?? There must be a reason behind it, and it would be nice to know??

I've spent more time on the island over the last 40 odd years as a visitor and tourist, and only in the last 10 years have I included the TT and as of last week, a first time short visit for the MGP whilst also attending a friends daughters christening.

And I didn't say "High" I said "If" the numbers are High!!

In any event, it would still be interesting to know why these people don't want visitors to the island - After all, it's not theirs to keep out of reach of others or anything??

I'm just curious as to the reasons behind there thoughts, that’s all!!