Bitten To Buggery...

...Does anyone else have the same problem as me in that whenever you attempt to anywhere more exotic than a trip to the UK, that you will more often than not be bitten to buggery by mozzies (or any other kind of nasty nibbler)??

I am due to go away in a few weeks time to Spain (god forbid I ever venture somewhere really tropical). Last time I went, I got badly bitten and swelled up Veruca Salt style - attractive.

Jungle Formula or the Boots insect "repellent" both seem to make sod all difference. In fact, I sometime wonder if it actually attracts them. However, if I don't have any spray on, I will always also get bitten. I have plenty of things to deal with the bites once I have them but would rather like to find some solution to prevent this from happening in the first place.

I read somewhere that you could take some kind of tablet to help but, typically, I can't find the article that I read now. I asked at Boots and they said the only thing they could think of was concentrated vitamin B tablets as this is meant to make you exude some kind of anti-mozzy smell and puts them off you. I am sure this wasn't what I had read about though, although I will certainly give this a crack.

I may well just have to accept that I am damn tasty (for the insects at least - better than nothing I suppose) but any tips would be appreciated...

Cheers muchly

PI

Edited by Princess Incognito
I use 'Avon skin so soft'. It works for me although it does make you smell like your gran. Its what the marines use i believe also.

Someone told me that this worked. It doesn't. All it did to me was make the little bastards stick to my skin, they then bit me before dying by drowning in the oily stuff. It also irritates old bites. I think it was all a marketing ploy by Avon.

garlic supplements worked a treat for me when travelling...

Oh right, hadn't heard of that one. May as well take some of those supplements as well to add to my tablet collection...

Sleep within a mosquito net.

Good plan for when sleeping. If only wrapping oneself in a mosquito net was acceptable dining out wear in the evening and then I would have a total solution!

I use 'Avon skin so soft'. It works for me although it does make you smell like your gran. Its what the marines use i believe also.

Totally hadn't heard of that one either....I am glad I asked for tips.

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

We were advised by some Greeks, to use lemon, lemon and more lemon. They have lemon on every plate and in almost every drink. It ran through their blood and prevented any bites at all, ever! I have to say, it seems to work.

If on hols and we forget to do the lemon thing before going out for a meal, we ask for a drink with lemon, or a plate of lemon slices and use them to dab pulse points.

If you leave the crushed lemon on the table, you may well stay clear of the little devils.

Or buy those very inexpensive waxy sticks or lemon roll-on things or even real lemons! And don't forget your ankles!

We were advised by some Greeks, to use lemon, lemon and more lemon. They have lemon on every plate and in almost every drink. It ran through their blood and prevented any bites at all, ever! I have to say, it seems to work.

If on hols and we forget to do the lemon thing before going out for a meal, we ask for a drink with lemon, or a plate of lemon slices and use them to dab pulse points.

If you leave the crushed lemon on the table, you may well stay clear of the little devils.

Or buy those very inexpensive waxy sticks or lemon roll-on things or even real lemons! And don't forget your ankles!

We were told the same in Portugal a couple of years back, works a treat