Mt Mobile Phone Call Charges!

In this climate of darkness and bafflement between providers, tariffs etc is there not a market for somewhich is billed in arrears, for the calls and texts you make over the month at a fair price?

Rather than trying to work out whether getting a free Wii, plus 300 free minutes off-peak per month and 200 minutes to a similar network (etc ad nausium) is better than some other equally complicated offer..... couldn't the providers just decide : "it's cost x to make a call/text and we want to make y profit so calls and texts are x+y"... ?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just find that us loyal Manx Telecom customers don't get a fair deal in comparison to PAYG.

I've had a mobile phone for nearly 15 years under Manx Telecom and there are always offers for PAYG and not such a good deal for Contract holders. Yes these offers on PAYG are to groom new customers so they spend on the network but the long term customers seem to get some deals but nowhere near the scale of PAYG.

lower tarrifs with none of the bullshit free bundles etc would be fine by me.

If this allegation by Cable and Wireless is true, Manx Telecom need to hang their head in total shame :angry:

Clickety to Sure Cable and Wireless Headline - MANX TELECOM ACCUSED OF MISLEADING CUSTOMERS

Last Ten

C&W must be blind & desperate - even I knew about this! http://www.manxtelecom.com/personal/mobile...go-changes.aspx

It is all getting a bit tit for tat IMO. C&W advert on Three (I think) states they're the cheapest PAYG rates but looking at their website, clearly it's MT - then again, tomorrow it could be different. Welcome to the world of competition :D

Edited by The Doctor

My wife changed from MT payg to Sure payg last Friday as I was also on Sure. She wanted to keep her old number and the Sure setup took a matter of minutes with a porting request sent to MT. When mine was done, the port was almost instant but my wife's took 5 days!! As she had no credit left on het MT sim card, she couldn't call out on that so she had to have 2 phones, 1 to receive calls through MT and 1 to send calls through Sure. It appears that the hold up was with MT who obviusly didn't like her moving so made things difficult...We certainly won't be going back to them!!!

It appears that the hold up was with MT who obviusly didn't like her moving so made things difficult...We certainly won't be going back to them!!!

how long does it take to port

how long does it take to port

But where is the fun in the logical answers. Of course MT held a board meeting and spent hours and hours trying to make it hard for a single PAYG sim card to port.

http://www.manxtelecom.com/personal/mobile/call-charges.aspx

http://www.surecw.com/isleofman/page-607

http://www.wire9.com/index.cfm

Pricing for all the networks are as clear as day on all of the network sites. Mudslinging between networks is very common in the UK, I didnt think it had a place on the Island but it looks like it might have started.

If this allegation by Cable and Wireless is true, Manx Telecom need to hang their head in total shame :angry:

Clickety to Sure Cable and Wireless Headline - MANX TELECOM ACCUSED OF MISLEADING CUSTOMERS

Last Ten

Any views on this post?

Well how true it is, MT seem to lie from every statement they make, this story on checking is very true, a sneaky backdoor way in making charges look good yet conning PAYG customers by charging more per short call i.e. as often happens you get a voice mail or answer phone and hang up you get ripped off, all bar about 2 of the so called customer service have less clue than a C rate Indian call centre and overall with Broadband, landline and mobile MT has the qualities, value for money and service level of a combined EasyJet/IOMSP/Ryanair company. But thats what happen when you get a monopoly and stay smug.

Its all very see through and School boyish. Sure Guernsey has just gone onto per second billing, Sure IOM went onto per second billing back in June/July. I think all of the Sure networks use this method now. What better way of advertising than a good old slanging match, they would not have dared say anything while another branch of the network was still operating as most PAYG networks do (by charging a set rate rather than per second.)

I feel I got a load of old flannel when I first got my Blackberry and the MT salesman told me what B/W I was entitled to per month, for internet and email, as I travel away quite a lot and need access to it. Expecting a bill of less than £80 mine was nearly £300. No recourse, so make sure you always read the small print, and don't listen to simply what you are told. I think it is also a good idea to periodically check what you are getting charged anyhoo, too many of us fail to do so.

Last summer Vodaphone dropped roaming charges as an experiment / promotion. Does anyone here know whether that applied on the IOM or whether it was only EU? If the UK and EU operators all drop roaming charges completely sooner or later as seems likely and that applies here then presumably there would then be no reason not to use them.

I just find that us loyal Manx Telecom customers don't get a fair deal in comparison to PAYG.

I've had a mobile phone for nearly 15 years under Manx Telecom and there are always offers for PAYG and not such a good deal for Contract holders. Yes these offers on PAYG are to groom new customers so they spend on the network but the long term customers seem to get some deals but nowhere near the scale of PAYG.

lower tarrifs with none of the bullshit free bundles etc would be fine by me.

I agree with that too. I've had the same MT number / contract since 1997 and there's never any deals on the table on the contracts which is insulting really as they've had 12 years of fixed charges out of me.

As I understand it you can now keep your MT number and move it to Sure which I'm thinking of doing under a new Sure contract. I also work quite a bit in the Channel Islands and notice that Sure seem to treat the offshore Islands as one network. On my new Sure PAYG 'back up' phone l have not seen any roaming charges last time I was in Guernsey and it just hooked up without showing any "roaming" logo on my handset. That would seem a much cheaper option to me than roaming at rip off rates for short calls.

MT need to get their act together and look after customers who have kept them going for the last 10 years or so.

Edited by oldmanxfella