I have to have my toast cold. If I'm at a hotel or guest house I always ask them to bring the toast out first,so it goes cold. Then thick real butter and jam or my favorite - Marmite and peanut butter.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And have done for years.

I have to say I have recently rediscovered toast. For years I fell for that old wives tale about keeping to margerine, and toast had been bland and needed eggs or beans on it to be remotely edible.

Recently a friend of mine died, and I helped his daughter clear the house, including the fridge contents which included a couple of unopened packs of butter she gave me. My god, I forgot how it tasted, and have been munching toast for a good few weeks now with tons of proper butter. I've even rediscovered Ramsey bakery bread.

Margerine is off my shopping list now, except for butties I make in the morning and sometimes take to work, cos I struggle to keep the butter remotely spreadable in my fridge. Any hints how I can do this?

Margerine is off my shopping list now, except for butties I make in the morning and sometimes take to work, cos I struggle to keep the butter remotely spreadable in my fridge. Any hints how I can do this?

My gran can take the butter straight from the fridge, and spread it onto super soft thin bread with hardly a tear made.

Whilst she feels reluctant to pass down this holy-grail-for-spreading-enthusiasts (I've offered to manage her if she'll take the act on tour); after much watchings I think it's down to the technique. Instead of spreading with the blade of the knife, she does it more with the point, in a sort of dragging motion.

I have to say that I have had some success since adopting this technique.

Life's good

Tesco sell a bread called "Tiger Loaf" and the smell of it is out of this world, it comes uncut but the the nice staff in the bakery are vey happy to slice it for you in seconds.

Anyway i like/love to have my tiger bread toasted, buttered with butter of course (not margarine) and topped with Bonne Maman Black Cherry Conserve.

Tesco sell a bread called "Tiger Loaf" and the smell of it is out of this world, it comes uncut but the the nice staff in the bakery are vey happy to slice it for you in seconds.

Anyway i like/love to have my tiger bread toasted, buttered with butter of course (not margarine) and topped with Bonne Maman Black Cherry Conserve.

I agree, Roo. Tiger Loaf is wonderful! Ever since I saw Frank Galagher instruct his daughter to butter the toast all the way to the edges, I can't do it any other way. What a mush-head I must be for letting Shameless influence my eating habits!

Besides Tiger Loaf, there's nothing like a toasted piece of cinnamon raisen bread, mmmmmmmmm.

I struggle to keep the butter remotely spreadable in my fridge. Any hints how I can do this?

Two options:

1. Keep your butter in a cool place, but not refridgerated. Like in olden days before health and safety told us we'd die if we kept it above 4 deg C.

2. Buy a brand of spreadable butter.

Edited by BigDave

I am with you all the way there Tiger Bread is the Rolls Royce of breads, a loaf rarely lasts longer than 30 mins once the wrapper is off and the Tiger bread rolls even less.

On the recommendation of Roo, I picked up a Tiger loaf yesterday from Tesco. Bloody fantastic. There's only half the loaf left. It's the first time I've ever enjoyed bread (untoasted) rather than toasting it - delicious.

• 2 weeks later...

It has to be the begginning or end of the loaf, must be brown bread. I like mine properly burnt, with enough butter to cover it.

My toasted cinnamon raisin bagel with butter was a delight this morning for my breakfast :)

That is my breakfast of choice - but with Rhubarb and Ginger Jam (which is increasingly hard to find on the island now that shopshite have stopped stocking the Baxters variety).

• 2 weeks later...