I know we need speed limits in built up areas, but the road to Peel now has about 3 stretches of about half a mile or so which is derestricted, the latest gem is the stretch from Snugborough to nearly at the Highlander is now 30mph.

Aint that just a tad O.T.T. even for Hannays Maruaders ?

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Leaving Ramsey via Kirk micheal to Douglas I was shocked at how its changed in very little time.

Used to go that way as there wasn't much in it (about 40 minutes), now there are 30mph and 40mph limits everywhere, some of which are ridiculous.

Just because someone crashed and killed themselves at a silly speed there is now also another 40mph limit, people forget the meaning of that "derestricted" sign, Its a suitable speed for conditions.

The majority of drivers do 40mph everywhere anyway, most tailgate through 30mph limits (at being forced to drive at the MAXIMUM limit), yet at 50mph limits or 60mph limits they then disappear only to reappear at the next 30mph limit!

The majority of drivers do 40mph everywhere anyway, most tailgate through 30mph limits (at being forced to drive at the MAXIMUM limit), yet at 50mph limits or 60mph limits they then disappear only to reappear at the next 30mph limit!

This is my absolute pet hate

I can't stand people who speed their way through towns and then slow poke their way over the mountain or similiar

There is a really stupid one on the Castletown-Douglas road. 50mph all the way along out in the sticks, except for...about 500 metres along the Fairy Bridge strait which is delimited. This is no doubt to scare the fairies as they are making tea under the bridge or to deter people from stopping and pinning messages on the tree by the bridge. Why???? Must see what speed I can get up to before having to brake for the bends.

I agree with the comments about tailgaters - but to be charitable maybe they are 3/4 blind and need to keep close to cars in front of them for guidance? Possibly we are doing them a great and charitable service.

Just because someone crashed and killed themselves at a silly speed there is now also another 40mph limit, people forget the meaning of that "derestricted" sign, Its a suitable speed for conditions.

it was 30mph all the way up the hill today, poles with repeater (30) signs all the way up the hill to the ballagarey lights

anyone know where I can buy an Isetta or a P50 ?

There is a really stupid one on the Castletown-Douglas road. 50mph all the way along out in the sticks, except for...about 500 metres along the Fairy Bridge strait which is delimited. This is no doubt to scare the fairies as they are making tea under the bridge or to deter people from stopping and pinning messages on the tree by the bridge. Why???? Must see what speed I can get up to before having to brake for the bends.

I agree with the comments about tailgaters - but to be charitable maybe they are 3/4 blind and need to keep close to cars in front of them for guidance? Possibly we are doing them a great and charitable service.

The one you refer to only seems silly short because they've whacked a 50mph limit on the S bend after Blackboards (heading towards Douglas). Otherwise it would be unrestricted from out of Ballasalla all the way to just after the Fairy Bridge.

It's actually the tiny section of 50mph which is daft in my opinion, especially as they've now put the anti-skid stuff back down there. After initially removing it and putting the 50mph limit up instead, they've now put it back down but left the 50mph limit.

it was 30mph all the way up the hill today, poles with repeater (30) signs all the way up the hill to the ballagarey lights

anyone know where I can buy an Isetta or a P50 ?

Aren't the current 30mph signs up the Ballahutchin just because they're doing roadworks there are the moment? I'd assumed that's all it was and that the unrestricted section would reappear once the roadworks had finished, unless this is yet another "stealth" speed restriction that's been stuck in there.

I don't think there's any need for any speed limit signs anywhere since wherever you go, there's always some arsehole in a Rover or a Volvo that sticks to 40 no matter where they are. They cause big tailbacks (test fail) but then when they reach a 20 or 30 zone they carry on through at 40 because they've decided that 40 is a safe speed and that's that. They've never crashed after all. Just probably caused a few & never noticed.

Ho hum. That's how it is and it's only going to get busier here folks. Try to accept it and get used to it since you can't change it.

Everything happens by stealth these days, speed limits included.

Politicians need to take back control. I suspect most of them don't because they cop out - so the lobbyists get what they want - and when people complain politicians can say 'not down to me mate!". It's all down to Mr Nobody as usual.

Edited by Albert Tatlock
To answer the OP's Q:

A: When there's an all-island speed limit that didn't involve any fuss, debate or consultation.

And yet when consultants are hired or a sub committee formed, people bleat.

Anyway, this is just a temporary limit while work is carried out:

"18 Sep 2009 to 2 Oct 2009 - A section of the A1 Douglas to Peel Road, Ballahutchin Hill from the property Brookvale House to the west entrance to Ballahutchin House in Marown (as indicated by signs), shall be subject to speed limits specified in the schedule during the times specified in the Schedule from 18 Sept 09 until 2 Oct 09 or until the drainage work is complete, whichever is the earlier."

I don't think there's any need for any speed limit signs anywhere since wherever you go, there's always some arsehole in a Rover or a Volvo that sticks to 40 no matter where they are. They cause big tailbacks (test fail) but then when they reach a 20 or 30 zone they carry on through at 40 because they've decided that 40 is a safe speed and that's that. They've never crashed after all. Just probably caused a few & never noticed.

Ho hum. That's how it is and it's only going to get busier here folks. Try to accept it and get used to it since you can't change it.

So most crashes are caused by people driving under 40 miles per hour?

Hmmm Maybe we shouldn't have speed limits but speed minimums so all you speed nut danger junkies can race around at top wack happy in the knowledge when you crash into someone at 60+ (120+ if you believe some cocks on this forum) you weren't breaking the law.

So most crashes are caused by people driving under 40 miles per hour?

Hmmm Maybe we shouldn't have speed limits but speed minimums so all you speed nut danger junkies can race around at top wack happy in the knowledge when you crash into someone at 60+ (120+ if you believe some cocks on this forum) you weren't breaking the law.

That's not the point that's been made, as you very well know.

In perfect conditions, 40mph on an open road is too slow, certainly when I did my test I was expected to reach 50mph under such conditions. However, the average fossilised remains propped up behind the wheel, myopically starting dead ahead (and probably unable to move their neck at all, come to think about it), pootles along at 40mph, never making any effort to perhaps slow down further to allow vehicles behind to pass, or actually travelling at a higher speed more appropriate for the conditions.

This in itself however, whilst annoying, is tolerable. It's when they get to a 30 zone or even a 20 zone however, and they carry on at exactly 40mph, even past a school with the 20 zone in effect, that you have to wonder if the person is even remotely competent to be behind the wheel of a car.

I've overtaken a driver like this in a derestricted zone (not going particularly fast you understand, just more than 40mph), only to have them catch me up in the following 30 zone, because I felt it wise to travel at less that the posted speed limit because there were a lot of children around.

Not to this old geezer though, it was still a one-size-fits all 40mph, whatever the conditions and whatever his surroundings.

There should be basic driving competency test at 65, and every five years thereafter. Not a full driving test, just an examiner sitting in with someone and letting them drive their own car around a route they're familiar with for 15 minutes or so, to see if the person involved is still possessed of the basic skills required to drive safely.

Edited by Cresta Fiesta