Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Nunderweiza

Bipolar Support Group On The Island ?.

http://www.mdf.org.uk/

your friend could try here, it has an e-community and if there is a group on the island they will probably have a presence on the board.

Just wondered if their was one as I have a friend who is asking.

I think that they were thinking of setting one up, and then changed their minds.

Ha ha, that's funny! If only all those stupid people with mental disorders could just pull themselves together eh?

Got any nigger jokes whilst we're in this territory?

Got any nigger jokes whilst we're in this territory?

No. I'm not Bernard Manning and I don't find racist gags funny in the least.

But mental disabilities are fair game?

No, not ever.

I think that they were thinking of setting one up, and then changed their minds.

Whilst people with Mental Health problems have a cause for being that way. Boredom chose to be a complete arsehole of their own accord.

Hope they never have reason to regret a comment like that.

Back on topic.

i very much doubt you will find any or much help from the Mental Health Services unless you've been put into the system as such. I'm sure thought that there will be some sort off Charitable org out there which will help. They also seem to have the most contacts and feedback with Mental health prob imo.

GP's can miss it very easilly as it's very hard to diagnose unless you have day to day contact with the problem. Even top specaillist can miss it.

Good luck with your search and hope your friend gets sorted.

Contary to Boredoms belief, Bi-polar is not funny in the slightest.

the link i posted was taken from the Isle of man colleges website, mental health bipolar section, just to clarify.

Just wondered if their was one as I have a friend who is asking.

I can't see how this posting was meant, or taken as a joke / jibe, because a bipe doesn't suffer from indecision.

The condition is so sad and sweeps across every social and intelligence divide.

If doctors have the time, and a ten minute appointment won't do it, the road forward to recovery or understanding is very long.

A lot of bipes are extremely intelligent people, one being Stephen Fry who wrote an excellent book on the subject. (Can't think of the title but it is daft).

I feel for the OP's friend because I am sure he or she would rather have something such as a broken leg or anything physical rather than something that is hard to acknowledge, never mind fix.

Contary to Boredoms belief, Bi-polar is not funny in the slightest.

Hence my point using the 'n' word, but if anyone was offended by the bluntness with which I made that point, I apologise.

(Although the same basic point would hold true for just about any mental illness, most of which are misunderstood, many of which are widely misrepresented, and a frightening number of which are often held in the status of 'not existing at all'.)

Boredom's attitude isn't offensive as such, I've always believed that a person chooses to 'become offended' rather than have 'offence pushed upon them' - but speaking as someone who's lived very closely with depressive disorders and bi-polar for the last 15 years (I don't have them but people close to me do), it's certainly a very Neanderthal approach to take.

Finally, I don't believe that any topic should be beyond the reach of debate, and humour and satirists, there can't be any 'holy ground' - but if you're going to go into certain areas, make sure you've got the intellect to make it worthwhile - (Chris Morris, for example, and his dissection of the moral hysteria surrounding paedophilia) - Boredom spectacularly failed to make the grade with his post, hence my getting a bit pissed off with his stupidity.

Having witnessed how people are handled with Mental Health matters over here, there certainly needs to be a support group of some sort.

Mental Health is a veritable industry on this island. We have our very own Mental Health Act of course and, as with any Act on this Island, those administering the Act can use it just as they feel fit. Which may seem fair enough on the face of things, but we have some pretty useless but highly paid people employed in our Mental Health services who are given powers way, way above their capabilities.

I have little doubt that there might be some employed in the Industry just now who are well-meaning but there are certainly others who have found themselves in a right cushy number for life.

Get a job in Mental Health. You know it makes sense.

Never knew much about the subject until I read this a few years ago. Good read

we have some pretty useless but highly paid people employed in our ______ services who are given powers way, way above their capabilities

Search and replace, any department of your choice

Lighten up...I have a mate seriously affected by this too...and he thinks laughter is the best medicine.

Fookin humour police :angry: