Cyclists Liability

Yes, and only 1 ,500 law-breakers amongst them too!!!! Of course it could have been 30,000 extra people using public transport which would have been even more beneficial.

Why's that more beneficial? Those 30,000 cyclists are a lower buden on the healthcare system than 30,000 passengers on public transport.

I wonder what the count would be if the sensible changes to the highway code was revised as proposed, with cyclists allowed down one way streets and permitted to turn left at red lights.

I was road raged this weekend on my bike, which made my day :)

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, and only 1 ,500 law-breakers amongst them too!!!! Of course it could have been 30,000 extra people using public transport which would have been even more beneficial.

Why's that more beneficial? Those 30,000 cyclists are a lower buden on the healthcare system than 30,000 passengers on public transport.

Sorry about the road rage incident.

On the public transport issue - the more people you can get into a bus or a train the less per capita CO2 emissions there are as you are maximising the efficiency of a 'fixed transport asset', the lower the cost of the ticket to use public transport will be due to high take-up of services and ultimately the more people who will be attracted to the publc transport system - and not just cyclists but car users too. Imagine the positive effect on public transport costs of an additional 30,000 passengers twice a day.

It will also reduce all forms of congestion which includes the dangers to others caused (evidently) by 20% of the cyclists in Westminster (who sound to be road raging pedestrians!).

PS: it would mean walking to the bus stop or the Tube - another excellent form of exercise for health!

Edited by manshimajin

Na, it was funny, though you do feel a little exposed on your bike when someone in a large vehicle is raging at you..

On the public transport issue - the more people you can get into a bus or a train the less per capita CO2 emissions there are as you are maximising the efficiency of a 'fixed transport asset', the lower the cost of the ticket to use public transport will be due to high take-up of services and ultimately the more people who will be attracted to the publc transport system - and not just cyclists but car users too. Imagine the positive effect on public transport costs of an additional 30,000 passengers twice a day.

Right, but 30,000 extra people on public transport would mean more public transport, so more co2, emissions, transport for the staff involved, etc. 30,000 people on bikes is zero co2. That's ignoring the healthcare benefits.

Na, it was funny, though you do feel a little exposed on your bike when someone in a large vehicle is raging at you..

Right, but 30,000 extra people on public transport would mean more public transport, so more co2, emissions, transport for the staff involved, etc. 30,000 people on bikes is zero co2. That's ignoring the healthcare benefits.

Well both have health care benefits and the extra passengers might well fill up the gaps - and of course if one staggered start times it might be possible to make the public transport even more efficient - and as said woud do away with the negative elements of cycling as reported - i.e. bad road behaviour of 20%.

Are you going to name & shame, or at least tell us the juicy bits?

I did take the reg number and stuff, but decided it wasn't worth it. Just some guy who thought I shouldn't be on the road, decided to yell at me and make abusive gestures etc. Shame of it was, he had a young kid in the back, what's that teaching them?

Yey again the Douglas Copration have seen fit to close the Douglas Promenade Cycleway from the War Memorial to the Bottleneck to allow it to be a carpark. Always strikes me as verty strange this, which is the safer option ?

1 Bikes away from mainstream traffic in an area with a 5 mph speed limit (like any car driver obeys that) on a legal right of way that is still open to pedestrians!

2 Bikes in mainstream traffic with vehicles exceeding 30 mph who overtake, brake and reverse into parking spaces without any consideration and then give you a volley of abuse when you point out that they nearly knocked you over.

I for one will still use the cyclepath.

I was down on Sunday and watched from the cafe at Davisons as a couple of families out for a bit of healthy exercise had to turn round and go back up the prom, this was at 10 am, guess how many cars were parked on the prom? .... 1 and it looked like it had been there overnight as it had seaweed all over the front.

Whilst on about parking are the Corpy going to sort out the confusing signs on the seaward side, one lot that states NO PARKING on the seaward side and one lot that states Car SHOULD NOT be parked on the Seaward side at High Tides (so it must be ok at other times)

Come on Just John let us have the Corpy reasoning?

Edited by Loaghtan

I think the reasoning is the bikes are supposed to stay inside the white lines (which we all know is virtually impossible as people walk in em and bikes are coming the other way). Because of that, the only way to get to the bike lane is to drive into the traffic on the exit bit by the sea terminal where it's very narrow.

A better solution would be for the prom traffic to exit through the bottleneck car park, leaving the walkway and cyclepath clear for pedestrians and cyclists.

Yey again the Douglas Copration have seen fit to close the Douglas Promenade Cycleway from the War Memorial to the Bottleneck to allow it to be a carpark. Always strikes me as verty strange this, which is the safer option ?

1 Bikes away from mainstream traffic in an area with a 5 mph speed limit (like any car driver obeys that) on a legal right of way that is still open to pedestrians!

2 Bikes in mainstream traffic with vehicles exceeding 30 mph who overtake, brake and reverse into parking spaces without any consideration and then give you a volley of abuse when you point out that they nearly knocked you over.

I for one will still use the cyclepath.

I was down on Sunday and watched from the cafe at Davisons as a couple of families out for a bit of healthy exercise had to turn round and go back up the prom, this was at 10 am, guess how many cars were parked on the prom? .... 1 and it looked like it had been there overnight as it had seaweed all over the front.

Whilst on about parking are the Corpy going to sort out the confusing signs on the seaward side, one lot that states NO PARKING on the seaward side and one lot that states Car SHOULD NOT be parked on the Seaward side at High Tides (so it must be ok at other times)

I think you will find you can still cycle, it is only the actual cycleway order that has been suspended so as to allow cars to use it, but what is in place is a one way system which as a cyclist it is illegal to go against, so I would suggest you obey the law for these couple of weeks so as not to give anti cyclist groups more ammunition, and of course ride with care at a suitable low speed as cars and pedestrians also have a right to use the area during this period. And before you mention about speeding cars action is being taken.

Some shots and a report from the new official 'cyclists can go the wrong way' roads in London:

http://realcycling.blogspot.com/2009/12/is...ontraflows.html

Looks quite well done, particularly like the signs to warn pedestrians to look both ways. This would be good in Douglas I think, particularly Athol Street, Tynwald Street and Finch Road, because those one ways create quite a long detour when you're on your bike.

Some shots and a report from the new official 'cyclists can go the wrong way' roads in London:

http://realcycling.blogspot.com/2009/12/is...ontraflows.html

Looks quite well done, particularly like the signs to warn pedestrians to look both ways. This would be good in Douglas I think, particularly Athol Street, Tynwald Street and Finch Road, because those one ways create quite a long detour when you're on your bike.

I think if you let cyclists go the 'wrong way' down one way streets there should be a strictly imposed speed limit to protect pedestrians (and motorists). I hate to say this Slim but I suspect that a number of the cyclisti will believe that they can zoom down these streets without any thought to the pedestrians. It really needs a collaborative attitude all round - not just expecting the pedestrians to realise that someone may be coming the wrong way down a one-way street. I have little faith in the sense and attitude of some UK road users...

I think if you let cyclists go the 'wrong way' down one way streets there should be a strictly imposed speed limit to protect pedestrians (and motorists). I hate to say this Slim but I suspect that a number of the cyclisti will believe that they can zoom down these streets without any thought to the pedestrians. It really needs a collaborative attitude all round - not just expecting the pedestrians to realise that someone may be coming the wrong way down a one-way street. I have little faith in the sense and attitude of some UK road users...

You could be right, but it could take some measures like this to help create respect too?

Anyway, will be watching these changes elsewhere with interest.