Another Parking Ticket Rant....

Knoxville

I went to my car yesterday to find a ticket and thought, how the hell did I get a ticket....I'm half an hour back early to my car. Opened up the ticket and saw it was " failure to show vehicle licence ", looked in my window and its still there ( bottom left hand of my window, very clear to see ).

Rang up the number on the back and was told " well you'll have send us a letter telling us why you think you dont have to pay for the ticket " to which I replied " well isn't it just my word againist the person that issued the ticket "..... reply, " well yes it is but we do take a fair view ".

I refuse to pay the £40, when my vehicle licence was clearly displayed.

What would happen if I refused to pay this, I know it would go to court or something like that.

As at the end of the day, its my word againist the person who issued the ticket. If I was in the wrong I would pay the ticket, as I've had some parking tickets when I've over stayed ( due to being busy and realising when its too late ) and paid them straight away.

It really annoys me that I got this ticket, because some think mutant who wears a high-vis top and walk around looking at cars couldnt see my parking disc, which is pretty damn clear to see and the fact I've parked in the same area numerous times and never got a ticket either.

It makes me think they must have a quota to fill, issue so many tickets a day.

I would like to take this further, if they agree I wasnt at fault also. So who would be the best to contact?

Sorry, just really has fucked me off.

If you or I had made this mistake at work, surely we would be held accoutable for such an error.

So why shouldnt the person who issued the ticket.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you were half an hour early back to your car (assuming that it was on a disk zone which is for 1 hour), did you look around to see if you could see the parking inspector in the vicinity and ask them about it as they wouldn't have been too far away would they?

When you write the letter enclose a photocopy of your vehicle licence to prove that you have one.

looked in my window and its still there ( bottom left hand of my window, very clear to see ).

Depending on whether you mean left hand side whilst sitting in car, or whilst looking at the car, the rules state "Display a tax disc on the passenger side (kerb side) of the vehicle’s windscreen. If there’s no windscreen or you have a motorcycle or sidecar, display the tax disc on the kerb side of the vehicle." so maybe they just looked in the wrong place for it.

If you were half an hour early back to your car (assuming that it was on a disk zone which is for 1 hour), did you look around to see if you could see the parking inspector in the vicinity and ask them about it as they wouldn't have been too far away would they?

When you write the letter enclose a photocopy of your vehicle licence to prove that you have one.

looked in my window and its still there ( bottom left hand of my window, very clear to see ).

Depending on whether you mean left hand side whilst sitting in car, or whilst looking at the car, the rules state "Display a tax disc on the passenger side (kerb side) of the vehicle’s windscreen. If there’s no windscreen or you have a motorcycle or sidecar, display the tax disc on the kerb side of the vehicle." so maybe they just looked in the wrong place for it.

I was in a rush to get away, as I was going to pick up my GF from the airport. I had a look around on my way out of the road to see if anyone was there but I couldnt see anyone.

Yeah, left hand side ( passenger side ) when in the car.

I've posted it off now, I never thought to enclose a copy as I thought it wouldnt matter, since the dispute is over me displaying the disc.

I'm a little confused Knoxy, was the ticket for failing to display a parking disc or was it for failure to display a vehicle licence (AKA a tax disc)?

Hi PB, its for a failure to display a tax disc ( 11.1 IIRC on the back of the ticket ).

I gather they dont take pictures, otherwise the person who did this ticket is going to look an utter cock.

I'll post up what ever replies I get, as if they dont cancel it, its going to be a long battle.

OK I see. In you initial post you referred to a mutant in hi viz not seeing your parking disc. I was just wondering if you were getting the discs mixed up. I now see that you are claimng that your tax disc and parking disc were both cirrectly displayed and clearly visible.

Sneaky feckers aren't they. Checking for tax discs too. Hope they don't see my motorbike. I have a vague idea where the disc is but on the bike it certainly aint!

Did this recently. You take your ticket to the ticket office at the court offices, and ask for a form saying you are contesting it. You hang on to your money till the appeal gets assessed - and in the meantime the fine goes on hold on the system.

You get a letter saying what the outcome is. In your case I suspect if your tax is out of date you will have to pay the ticket (and maybe even get a visit from a copper and a fine too for being an awkward git if you appeal and it ain't renewed), if your tax is in date and clearly on the system you might get away with it.

Usually 'failure to display a licence' either means your tax is out of date or missing.

If it was on the windscreen and the tax is up to date, then I don't understand the ticket either.

Same thing happened to me a couple of years ago, although this time they were correct as my tax disc had fallen off the windscreen and into the footwell, I wrote them a letter explaining what had happened and they replied with a bit of a bollacking telling me you must display your disc at all times ( I KNOW BUT IT HAD FELL OFF AND I DIDN'T KNOW ) but they did withdraw the penalty, so if you appeal I'm pretty sure you will be Ok. Good Luck