I've just installed a couple of these Netgear DG834G ADSL+2 compatable wireless routers, and the problem I'm having is with Vista laptops, they connect fine for a while, but next thing you know they are saying connected with limited connectivity, which means no internet. This seems to be because the network card has dropped the DHCP address it did have and has defaulted to 169.254.168.216.

The only way I've found to get it working again is to remove the powercable from the router for 10 seconds then plug it back in. Then I can connect and get assigned an IP address and it works again until the next time.

I had this happen on my wife's laptop a few years ago, I just used WEP instead which I don't want to use this time.

Has anyone else had this, and how did you sort it out?

Not really fixing the problem but you could specify a fixed IP in the alternate configuration tab in the IP settings. That way it'll still pick up an address on other networks and yours but can fall back to a fixed IP.

Also try here.

Edited by tribz
I've just installed a couple of these Netgear DG834G ADSL+2 compatable wireless routers, and the problem I'm having is with Vista laptops, they connect fine for a while, but next thing you know they are saying connected with limited connectivity, which means no internet. This seems to be because the network card has dropped the DHCP address it did have and has defaulted to 169.254.168.216.

The only way I've found to get it working again is to remove the powercable from the router for 10 seconds then plug it back in. Then I can connect and get assigned an IP address and it works again until the next time.

I had this happen on my wife's laptop a few years ago, I just used WEP instead which I don't want to use this time.

One solution, or something worth trying, might be to assign fixed IP addresses to your machines rather than using DHCP. On the LAN setup page of the router admin interface.

I sometimes have a similar issue with that router on our network. FWIW we are running Macs and Linux. No Windows. So Vista may not be the issue. I normally end up just turning the router off and on again.

I think that the issue may relate to machines getting assigned conflicting IP addresses.

I'm pretty sure it's a Netgear issue, specifically a bug that was introduced in a recent version of their firmware, across (as fas as I can tell) most of their product range.

Assigning fixed IPs will work (but you'll have to do it on the clients and the router - one or the other won't fix it with 100% consistency).

Alternatively you could switch brands, I went to Belkin (after years with Netgear) and I haven't had a hiccup with IP addressing across my entire network since I made the switch.

(This is on a network with nearly 15 clients, including wireless and wired, Vista, XP, Win7, 360s, XBox, NAS, wireless printer etc.)

I've also heard reports of exactly the same problems with regards to DHCP on other networks, the common thread is always a Netgear router.

I had the same problem and two 'experts' sorted it for me.

Except they didn't.

In the end I'm borrowing someone elses old router.

Works ok now.

When I can be arsed, I'll change back to the old original router - not netgear.

I had the same problem and two 'experts' sorted it for me.

Except they didn't.

In the end I'm borrowing someone elses old router.

Works ok now.

When I can be arsed, I'll change back to the old original router - not netgear.

This is what I'm saying man, it's a Netgear issue.

You can fudge it with statics but even then it can go wonky when DHCP leases in the same range expire.

I was a big Netgear fan for years but their recent firmwares have been shit, and their newest Rangemax or whatever they're called routers are shit from a hardware perspective too.

Not sure what firmware I'm on now, I'll check later, but at my collegues house I gave both laptops a static IP address, reserved those addresses from the DHCP pool, then in power managment on the network card, removed the tick from Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power. I also disabled IPv6. Seems to have done the job.

MT had special tweeks added to the firmware for the current netgear ADSL2+ routers they are supplying.

The wireless is total cack on them tho i run mine from the garage and my bedroom has Low signal strength on all channels, i would ditch the router and try a net gear RangeMax or Linksys.