Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man

Purchased Windows 7 to upgrade from the dreadful Vista and my installation crashed midway through and won't resume. Looks like I'm stuck with Vista. What a fucking pile of crap.

I don't understand why anyone would choose an 'Upgrade' option. Every OS should be a fresh install.

Backup your data, format C and install from scratch. It's the only way that makes sense to me.

I don't understand why anyone would choose an 'Upgrade' option. Every OS should be a fresh install.

Backup your data, format C and install from scratch. It's the only way that makes sense to me.

From Windows Vista onwards if you purchase an upgrade licence at the point you enter the serial number the installer checks the serial number to see if it is an upgrade licence or not. If you have purchased an upgrade licence then you can not clean install it - it will not continue the install and you have to re-install the original OS and run the upgrade from there.

You would purchase the upgrade option as it is significantly cheaper than a full version.

Ahh, I didn't think there was an Upgrade Only option this time round. My mistake.

Edit: It's the XP version that has no upgrade path, I see now.

My wife uses Windows and is eligible for a W7 upgrade.

Clearly Vista is crap and hopefully W7 will be an improvement.

As I will be murdered if this upgrade fucks up her laptop I would be interested to hear other users' experiences before I try an upgrade or a clean install.

I never really thought there was a huge amount wrong with Vista after SP1, you just needed a hefty machine to get the best out of it.

However, I've sandboxed W7 for some time now and I've been very impressed. I've been pretty much waiting for the retail to hit before I take the plunge but I'm looking at setting aside an afternoon next weekend to get it up and running on my main machine. This is the first MS OS I've ever had the confidence to install on my main machine without waiting for the first service pack. That's how confident I am with it.

Been running W7 since RC and I've had the RTM version for a while - it's a nice little OS and to be honest probably worth a little hassle to upgrade. Just been playing with the shake option :)

Ans - the blocked upgrade came as a surprise to me when my Dad purchased the upgrade from XP to Vista and gave it to me to do... Thanks Dad !!!

I've been using W7 for about a year - installation is very simple, I am very impressed.

I think I mentioned before my son and I have been using W7 for CAD and 3d CAD/modelling in 64bit xp was good for it vista a little better due to you could add more memory now W7 is smoother than a cashmere codpiece I cannot fault it for this type of application i.e. high end graphics and rendering with intensive continual mathematical background tasks

Vista SP2 is fine, a lot of complaints about Vista are down to people running it on low-end machines. Less than 1GB of RAM and/or a single core processor - don't bother.

Mrs Fiesta is entitled to a free W7 disc for her laptop, but Vista on there runs fine so we'll just leave it.

It also doesn't help that manufacturers pre-load their machines with an amazing amount of crapware, which bogs down the OS before you even have a chance to use it.

W7 is better than Vista, but they're largely the same under the hood, truth be told.

W7 is better than Vista, but they're largely the same under the hood, truth be told.

Very true, but as you say W7 is very smooth indeed.

Are you sure you don't have the "Advanced" install option available? I'm told (by HP sales though so they could have just been telling me anything!) it should be possible to perform a clean install from upgrade media, although I'm still waiting for ours - fingers crossed for Monday and I can confirm!

Edit: Try this > Click!

Edited by BigDave

Windows a load of crap ! I was finally persuaded by my son to buy a Mac, never looked back everything works without drama and software priced reasonably too !

Windows a load of crap ! I was finally persuaded by my son to buy a Mac, never looked back everything works without drama and software priced reasonably too !

Are you sure it's the operating systemn and not yourself?

Are you sure it's the operating systemn and not yourself?

I know enough to invent work arounds for peripherals which do not work in windows and to do clean installs etc so do not consider myself a tech virgin, however what I do know is that the Mac platform is far more stable and user friendly than Vista and many of the so called new features in windows are merely catch ups to Mac. Windows only has its market position because of clever marketing and very cheap and originally free supply to manufacturers.