• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... and user friendly than Vista and ...

You really should give Windows 7 a fair go - it is excellent, much more user-oriented than VISTA, a major improvement.

I will do, I don't have any bias except to say have been very pleased with Mac but do have a windows desktop so will put it on that.

have ordered the upgrade disk that came with Dad's vista with the new PC (may never use it but as it's free may as well order it) and am looking to get pro/ultimate to replace my near 3-year old vista install which is starting to break

Windows Vista (SP2) was superb, i don't know what all the moaning was about it. The most stable OS i have ever used. Windows 7 is even better.

The old Mac vs PC argument has been going on for ages. The fact remains, apple macs are good for what they do, but if you want to do more then edit photos and be locked to a limited software library (compared to Windows) you have to use a PC. That's not even including gaming.

Edited by somewhatdamaged

Windows Vista (SP2) was superb, i don't know what all the moaning was about it.

The moaning almost exclusively from people trying to run Vista pre-SP1 with about 1gb of ram. Those people should never have upgraded from XP.

I'll give another vote to Windows 7.

I was delighted when I plugged a POS chinese no-name serial-usb converter into a laptop running Windows 7 enterprise.

It said it wanted to check the internet for drivers, I scoffed at it and said "OK, give it a try".

Blow me if 5 minutes later it was working perfectly.

I've had no compatibility issues on my workstation here at work either.

Microsoft seem to have done a good job first time round !

• 1 month later...

http://community.winsupersite.com/blogs/pa...the-answer.aspx

Mixed results all round though.

I've been fully using Windows 7 exclusively on my main box now for a week or so and it's utterly lovely. I actually quite liked Vista (after SP1) but this is a big shift in the right direction. It's kinda hard to define exactly what makes it different or better, it just is.

I recently received my Windows 7 upgrade disc from Dell, is it possible to do a clean install using the upgrade version?

Yep. I did a Lenovo one last week - just bunged the disc in, chose advanced install and formatted the existing Windows partition first. Went straight on no bother, and completely clean.

There is supposedly an upgrade check, but provided there's something there when the disc first runs it seems to like it - you can then format and wipe out whatever was there before.

Edited by BigDave

another vote for W7 from me i have been using it for the best part of 4 months now and i have to say compared to vista the CPU ussage is so much more efficent. I jus feel that it has a better user interface and allround running capabilities dont get me wrong i was using vista on a 4GB machine before anyone say i was using vista on a crap machine but windows 7 overall stability is much on par with the mac OSX thats on the market today =D

Windows 7 now installed, don't seem to be many drastic changes but the odd thing will need getting used to.

Think it took up about 9GB in total?

Pretty much everything worked straight off the bat, just a couple of drivers I had to download.

I'll be sure to post any problems should they arise, cheers guys :)

Edited by Virtual_Boy

I've just stuck Windows 7 Professional on our little Samsung NC10 netbook as well (I was bored!). I'm pleasantly surprised how quick it runs even on the little Atom processor. I'm also impressed with Samsung for updating all the drivers and support apps for it!

i run windows 7 ultimate and have been running the earlier rc1 and even the very first beta. the changes since the first beta are very noticable seeing as though on the first beta it still said vista on most of the menus etc and it didnt have the new task bar or anything, i have run vista and 7 and xp on the same machine, its a 5 year old machine with 2 gig ram and a 320 gb hard drive and a 64 bit processor and it ran vista smoothly and i am extremely impressed with the 64 bit version of 7, if this is anything to go by the next one will be amazing, i also run a mac as well and its quite old but mac osx just works, whereas windows has been a hassle in the past, im neutral about the pc mac war i have both and use them both for similar things and i have found most of the everyday tasks are easily achieved on both.