Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
nickyw

Shop Local And Buy Manx - Beat The Vat Black Hole!

Then I assume no local contractors submitted an expression of interest.

If local firms don't express interest then how do the Government know who wants a chance to tender?

Then I assume no local contractors submitted an expression of interest.

If local firms don't express interest then how do the Government know who wants a chance to tender?

T contract was not advertised in the Local Press for some reason.

Also the cleaning of the toilets has been awarded to the UK Contractor.

*11. Market Hall – Refurbishment of Toilets

The Committee considered a written report by the Acting Property Maintenance Officer in relation to

the proposed scheme to provide three unisex toilets and a disabled facility at the Market Hall.

Members had previously approved a proposed ‘Healthmatic’ design-and-fit scheme, with an initial

capital cost of £80,000.00 and a ten-year maintenance contract of £20,000.00 per year. The terms of

the contract would be that Healthmatic would clean the Market Hall toilets as regularly as they were

currently being cleaned and if any maintenance issues arose, they would send out their trained

employee to correct the fault.

Building Regulations approval was required before the scheme could proceed at the Market Hall and,

following this, there would be a three-week period for public consultation. Provided there was no

public objection to the scheme, Healthmatic had indicated that they would be on site in September

2009 with an estimated finish date of late October 2009.

During the construction period, temporary facilities (one gents’ toilet and one ladies’ toilet) would be

required at a cost of £35.00 per week per toilet (to include all consumables and a weekly empty).

These temporary facilities could be facilitated on the paved area outside the Market Hall, subject to

approval by the Department of Transport. It was suggested that they would be required for a twelve

week period and the hours of operation would be as currently existed for the Market Hall toilets.

Resolved, “(i) That particulars of the report be noted on the minutes and that approval be given to

implement the proposed scheme for the refurbishment of the Market Hall toilets;

(ii) That approval be granted to Healthmatic to undertake the proposed scheme, subject to Building

Regulations approval;

(iii) That the temporary facilities be emptied three times a week (this to be undertaken prior to 8.00am);

and

(iv) That the approval of a coin-box operation scheme be re-affirmed, but with the charge being set at

20 pence.”

(iv) That the approval of a coin-box operation scheme be re-affirmed, but with the charge being set at

20 pence.”

20p for a crap.

£9 million for a crap council.

18 councillors - witless.

And Tesco tell DTC

The Committee were advised that a retail impact study has been carried out by Tesco, the conclusions

of which are that this proposed extension would not affect the existing retail trade in Douglas.

Members were sceptical of these conclusions, but were not clear if these were valid grounds for

objecting to the application. The Assistant Chief Officer (Corporate and Development) again read out

Business Policy 9 from the Isle of Man Strategic Plan. Members noted that the proposed extension

would be entirely devoted to sale of non-food items. There was concern that this would change the

store from one which was predominately food retail to one which was mostly for the sale of non-food

So given all the money thrown away on Douglas Quay, all the visitors enticed to this wonderful area will now need 20p to pee.

Winner.

If the facilities are nice, clean, and well maintained I would be happy to pay 20p.

The main toilets in Liverpool 1 are 20p and are maintained well, in fact I would rather pay to use them than a lot of the free facilities around the city.

If the facilities are nice, clean, and well maintained I would be happy to pay 20p.

The main toilets in Liverpool 1 are 20p and are maintained well, in fact I would rather pay to use them than a lot of the free facilities around the city.

And they should be clean, £20,000pa for two days work a week cleaning contract.

They should fit one of these in your House of Keys, at 20p per crap, they'll soon fill the Black Hole,maybe overflow it.

Edited by ThankU

So given all the money thrown away on Douglas Quay, all the visitors enticed to this wonderful area will now need 20p to pee.

Winner.

Or alternatively nip around the corner into The British and use there toilets. I am sure that will please them!

Also the cleaning of the toilets has been awarded to the UK Contractor.

I wonder who the UK contractor decides to subcontract the contract to?

£20,000 a year to keep two bogs spick and span - the unpaid council members would be better paid taking up contract cleaning at those rates .... oh hang on some do already.

Just a thought about local

If govt subsidises steam packet supermarkets could bring in food cheaper - possibly knock on effect is that we get cheaper food. That sounds great to me as according to the front of the newspaper ive got 3k per year to make up.

cheap meat, cheap bread, and cheap milk, plus buy one get one free etc etc.

sod local i need cheap food.

If govt subsidises steam packet supermarkets could bring in food cheaper - possibly knock on effect is that we get cheaper food. That sounds great to me as according to the front of the newspaper ive got 3k per year to make up.

put the price up and you just have to not buy that new car this year :D

John - I think that is a very short-sighted view! We don't need cheap food, we need to be able to feed ourselves. We need to pay our farmers what it costs to produce good quality, safe food, and keep them in business. We must not become over reliant on imported food. This will become much clearer over the next twenty years as demographic trends and/or global warming make food scarcer worldwide. Maybe one day the export of foodstuffs will be the biggest business in the Island! In the meantime, we should all be grateful for the Manx businesses that do contribute so much to our economy, even if it means paying a small Manx premium. Don't be fooled into thinking Tesco are interested in doing anybody but themselves any favours.

In the meantime, we should all be grateful for the Manx businesses that do contribute so much to our economy, even if it means paying a small Manx premium. Don't be fooled into thinking Tesco are interested in doing anybody but themselves any favours.

Small Manx premium? Well you wouldn't be referring to the £1.20 a loaf we pay for stale bread then. That's not a small Manx premium. That's a great big f**k off piss take.

In the meantime, we should all be grateful for the Manx businesses that do contribute so much to our economy, even if it means paying a small Manx premium. Don't be fooled into thinking Tesco are interested in doing anybody but themselves any favours.

Small Manx premium? Well you wouldn't be referring to the £1.20 a loaf we pay for stale bread then. That's not a small Manx premium. That's a great big f**k off piss take.

Absolutely, we have our own flour mill and bakery yet its cheaper to import the bread from England!

Greedy/cheeky fookers!!!