Planning Objections

Im no NIMBY - but I wish to object to a planning application.

I know who to write to, what I am objecting about and why.

My only question is, seeing as its the 1st time I have ever objected to any planning, how much detail do I need to go into? It is fine just to put on the grounds of traffic, noise, height of proposed errection, incorrectly applied for, impact on the local environment etc etc. - or do I need to be specific in relation to my property only?

edit coz Im a thicko

Edited by x-in-man
Im no NIMBY - but I wish to object to a planning application.

I know who to right to, what I am objecting about and why.

My only question is, seeing as its the 1st time I have ever objected to any planning, how much detail do I need to go into? It is fine just to put on the grounds of traffic, noise, height of proposed errection, incorrectly applied for, impact on the local environment etc etc. - or do I need to be specific in relation to my property only?

Go into as much detail as possible. Everything that you put down will help the planning officer in making a decision, providing they grant you party status first that is....if it specifically affects your own property (right to light etc) then there's a better chance of your objection being considered.

What's the hell is wrong in adopting a 'NIMBY' attitude anyway? (a serious question)

It makes perfect sense if you don't want a thing near to you or your neighborhood and if the majority of people don’t then such should not happen.

I see this application as the thin end of a wedge, it will be a shop, petrol station, school, row of shops, supermarket etc etc etc next!

All because people buy a house in the country, and expect the thrills of a town.

What exactly are you objecting against and for what reasons?

I would say put in as much detail as possible, relationships between the proposal and yourself, what impact it will have on your domestic amenity, privacy ect.

Even if you aren't granted third party status your objections will still be considered, just not with the full rights of appeal ect.

I don't know about the rest but the traffic/highway concerns you write to the network planning dept D.o.T. Sea terminal, but it will only be accepted if the proposed development increases traffic behond what the road can take or the visibility splay from the exit is not adequate, if this is so the network planning will have already objected.

See the Government website link http://www.gov.im/dlge/planning/plan/appli...ons/comment.xml

I suggest you provide an outline of your case and save the main information for the Appeal documentation - you must be an interested party

http://www.gov.im/dlge/planning/plan/appli...ns/decision.xml advises on the Appeal process.

Objecting and taking it to Appeal are very different. It might be in your interest to check for compliance with the Strategic Plan and any Local or Area Plan as decisions are usually based on policy and not practicality!

You can also speak to the local planner direct to get advise and discuss your potential objections. If you can, speak with the applicant and inform them that you are going to object - dont forget you may end up being neighbours so you may as well try and get on and discuss problematic issues.