Coffee

Miss Roo

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whats going on with these eateries one minute the coffee is good the next its rancid week and tasteless!!!

Please tell us where the best and worst coffee's are served on the Island.

Hate myself for saying it, but for a constantly good, freshly ground and yet cheap coffee it's hard to beat MacDonalds. Spill the beans is also good. Java good, but pricey.

The food is largely muck, but they do a good coffee.

I agree I took my children to McDonalds last week and chanced a coffee- I have to admit it was suprisingly good

Whats going on with these eateries one minute the coffee is good the next its rancid week and tasteless!!!

Please tell us where the best and worst coffee's are served on the Island.

In answer to your first point I think it is down to bad training by the owners, lack of supervision and sadly on occasions a 'couldn't care less' attitude. There are a few good places but a lot of inconsistent ones. IMO there is nothing worse than thinking you've found a place that makes a good coffee and going back next time to discover that the previous occasion was a lucky accident.

Elsewhere on the Forum I have mentioned the Beans Bar in Ramsey. Small, run by the owner who knows how to make a good coffee, very friendly and worth the drive from Castletown which is bereft of really good and consistent coffee places. (I can almost feel AT shuddering).

In NZ recently found a great coffee place. The owner kept a very close eye on his staff and on one occasion took back coffees from us and replaced them because they were not to his standard.

on the Forum I have mentioned the Beans Bar in Ramsey. Small, run by the owner who knows how to make a good coffee

Is that the place opposite the RNLI shop ? It's good. But does not seem to be open regular hours.

The other coffee place, where Stephensons' bakery used to be, is rather disappointing.

I've always found the Garrison consistently good for coffee.

It is better than Callow's Yard but personally I still find their coffee bitter - it is very much a matter of individual taste of course.

Is that the place opposite the RNLI shop ? It's good. But does not seem to be open regular hours.

Yes. I think that she is closed Mondays(?) Also because it is essentially a place she runs herself she doesn't seem to be able to be open for such long hours. But lovely coffee and home made scones.

Slightly off topic but one thing I don't get is people who say for example "I can't have an expresso I'll be bouncing off the wall - too much caffeine"

FFS it's a coffee not an armful of heroin.

It's even said by people when debating whether to have a coca-cola for God's sake!

Is it just me or are they just drama queens?

Anyway I'll add my name to those who like McD coffee, when I can bear to venture in there

I've always found the Garrison consistently good for coffee.

It is better than Callow's Yard but personally I still find their coffee bitter - it is very much a matter of individual taste of course.

Yes. I think that she is closed Mondays(?) Also because it is essentially a place she runs herself she doesn't seem to be able to be open for such long hours. But lovely coffee and home made scones.

I agree, always pop in there when in Ramsey.

Slightly off topic but one thing I don't get is people who say for example "I can't have an expresso I'll be bouncing off the wall - too much caffeine"

It's even said by people when debating whether to have a coca-cola for God's sake!

Anyway I'll add my name to those who like McD coffee, when I can bear to venture in there

Does it make you feel dirty...hehe

I try to avoid caffeine as far as possible. I have a thyroid issue and the caffeine makes it go a bit crazy. I can actually feel it 'working' at the back of my throat. No nice. Because I avoid caffeine - and have done for a couple of years - when I do have it it has some mighty powerful effects. As an example, I met a friend in Ottakars on Tuesday (or whatever it's called this week) and she bought me a speciallity coffee. A delightful creme brulee affair that tasted rather good. I assumed she'd got me a de-caff one but worked out at 3am when I was still up reading the paper and dusting the piano that it was the caffeine version.

Drama queen? Hell yes - but not when it comes to caffeine. The strangest thing is that for the first part of my life I drank loads of caffeinated tea and coffee with little effect. I'm certain now it's the build up in your body that builds tolerance.

Try the caffeine challenge - go a month without any caffeine and then get yourself a nice big espresso.

I'll see you downstairs at 3am. Duster at the ready, :)

You even have to detox off it, the withdrawal effects include headaches, irritability and that master of them all paranoia

Drama queen? Hell yes - but not when it comes to caffeine. The strangest thing is that for the first part of my life I drank loads of caffeinated tea and coffee with little effect. I'm certain now it's the build up in your body that builds tolerance.

That must be it. I normally drink this stuff, and I can barely stay awake.

I'll see you downstairs at 3am. Duster at the ready, :)

Now how could anyone turn down an offer like that :wub:

have a double shot of Taylors lava java then tell me you don't feel a bit hyper

have a double shot of Taylors lava java then tell me you don't feel a bit hyper

I'll vote for the Taylors Hot Lava Java - get it from Shoprite whenever I see it in there.

Most coffees you see have a rating between 1-5, the Hot Lava Java is 6 - I call it the 'Spinal Tap' of coffees - wonderful dark chocolaty flavour and probably the nearest legal alternative to a load of speed.

I'll vote for the Taylors Hot Lava Java - get it from Shoprite whenever I see it in there.

Most coffees you see have a rating between 1-5, the Hot Lava Java is 6 - I call it the 'Spinal Tap' of coffees - wonderful dark chocolaty flavour and probably the nearest legal alternative to a load of speed.

It may have a high caffeine content (which is mostly a factor of the roasting time) but pre ground coffee does not keep its flavor. Coffee loses the majority of its flavor and smell within less than an hour of being ground.

Nobody who likes coffee buys a pre grind. You might as well be drinking instant.