Coffee

Miss Roo

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Slightly off topic but one thing I don't get is people who say for example "I can't have an expresso I'll be bouncing off the wall - too much caffeine"

FFS it's a coffee not an armful of heroin.

It's even said by people when debating whether to have a coca-cola for God's sake!

Is it just me or are they just drama queens?

Anyway I'll add my name to those who like McD coffee, when I can bear to venture in there

have a double shot of Taylors lava java then tell me you don't feel a bit hyper

Taylors do a nice decaffeinated, strengh 4 which is great for me because i love the strong flavour but not the caffeine.

The coffee in the Green Leaf and Bean on the Quay is fairly good, they also have a good range of teas - charmingly served in a teapot with a Chinese style bowl instead of a cup - it's all in the detail!

I really like a handle when having a hot drink, especially with little ones around, my friend and i popped into the Green Leaf in the summer for lunch but as she had the baby on her knee it was quite impossible to drink without the handle, it is lovely in there though, looking forward to going again sometime.

• 1 month later...

Two places on the Isle are well ahead of the others. I moved here 5 years ago from Roma and only recently has there been any coffee worth drinking. First is the Velvet Lobster on the key in Douglas, second is Pappagallis on Parliment St. in Ramsey. Now that's if you like a real espresso based coffee that tastes like coffee. Strong but not bitter.... a coffee with flavour, not a single shot with loads of milk.

• 1 year later...

costa is good costs arm and a leg tho.theres java coffee okay but food terrible!avanti in the strand its new nice coffee and food bit pricy on few items just avoid the alpine!!however my son likes mcdonalds coffee and just about everything else they do

• 1 year later...
Whats going on with these eateries one minute the coffee is good the next its rancid week and tasteless!!!

Please tell us where the best and worst coffee's are served on the Island.

In answer to your first point I think it is down to bad training by the owners, lack of supervision and sadly on occasions a 'couldn't care less' attitude. There are a few good places but a lot of inconsistent ones. IMO there is nothing worse than thinking you've found a place that makes a good coffee and going back next time to discover that the previous occasion was a lucky accident.

Elsewhere on the Forum I have mentioned the Beans Bar in Ramsey. Small, run by the owner who knows how to make a good coffee, very friendly and worth the drive from Castletown which is bereft of really good and consistent coffee places. (I can almost feel AT shuddering).

In NZ recently found a great coffee place. The owner kept a very close eye on his staff and on one occasion took back coffees from us and replaced them because they were not to his standard.

Sadly the Bean Bar has closed down now, such a shame sad.png

Has it actually closed? I know it was for sale (I don't really drink coffee all that often tbh and I haven't been past the place for a good while).

Costa Coffee are on the way though, not sure when exactly.

Has it actually closed? I know it was for sale (I don't really drink coffee all that often tbh and I haven't been past the place for a good while).

Was in last week and overheard the lady that runs/owns it saying closing end of the week.

Nice coffee but was always a lottery finding it open.

Was in last week and overheard the lady that runs/owns it saying closing end of the week.

Nice coffee but was always a lottery finding it open.

A big shame as it has always been consistent and good. I hate going to a coffee shop where one day it's OK and the next it has no resemblance to previously. Some places don't seem to train staff and then supervise them on quality.

Fewer trips to the North...