I'm gonna do it. My collection of LPs needs digitising*.

I'm not too sure if I need to clean the audio up or if it is worth doing.

Hardware wise I have a deck (not used for over 10 years) > decent amp > line-in to PC, and have Audacity software.

I wonder if anyone has any tips or suggestions. It is going to be quite time consuming and I a want to prepare myself as best as possible.

Cheers

*for information, includes Derek Batey's 100 Favourite Hymns and Val Doonican Val Rocks - but gently plus a good smattering of punk Rock

I'm gonna do it. My collection of LPs needs digitising*.

I'm not too sure if I need to clean the audio up or if it is worth doing.

Hardware wise I have a deck (not used for over 10 years) > decent amp > line-in to PC, and have Audacity software.

I wonder if anyone has any tips or suggestions. It is going to be quite time consuming and I a want to prepare myself as best as possible.

Cheers

*for information, includes Derek Batey's 100 Favourite Hymns and Val Doonican Val Rocks - but gently plus a good smattering of punk Rock

Did this to selected albums/tracks in my collection years ago, it IS time consuming and requires patience.

I put an hour or two per night over quite a few months to get everything 'digitised'

Before copying, I washed each disc in a mild shampoo and then recorded the disc while it was still wet, sounds daft I know but it really does make a significant difference. No dust and no static charge, less surface noise and less discharge clicks.

I know water and electrically powered devices don't mix, so you just have to be carefull.

Oh yeh, and don't go overboard and heavy handed with any 'Noise reduction software', as in a lot of life....less is more.

Good luck.

Just to add, the quality of your Turntable/Cartridge/Stylus will have the most effect on your end result. Start with a new stylus if nothing else.

Remember to set your recording software to 44100 sample rate/16-bit depth, this then enables you to burn CD's that will play on all CD players.

Edited by Sentience

Maplin sell a USB 'turntable' for around £100 - it has it's own built-in 'soundcard' and is USB powered, however I don't think this would be as good as using a decent deck with a decent cartridge and line out into a decent soundcard.

Spend a bit of time to get the audio levels correct, so the input volume is loud enough, but not clipping on the loudest passages of the music you wish to record.

Save everything as a 'clean' wav file (no processing/hiss/noise reduction) so you have the original copies, then you can play with copies of these files if you feel the need to process them.

I have used an old Sony mini-disc recorder in the past with pretty good results - record deck into the amp, record out of the amp to record in on the mini-disc, optical out into soundblaster live card on the pc - this gave me visual vu-meters with individually adjustable input level controls on the mini-disc recorder.

I found personally using the ADC on the mini-disc gave better results than the line in on the PC soundcard.

You can combine an electro-microscope with various other device you find lying around the lab to create a machine which will photograph the surface of the LP and convert its shape into sound files. It can also be used for crime fighting.

You can combine an electro-microscope with various other device you find lying around the lab to create a machine which will photograph the surface of the LP and convert its shape into sound files. It can also be used for crime fighting.

:lol: ^^^ hehehehe^^^ And as a pizza plate afterwards... :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
someone mentioned one of these to me the other day. Flash Turntable Direct Card Recording it is supposed to record to a sd card and separate the tracks for you then there is some software that will look up the track names etc when you put it on your pc.

I did this with some very rare stuff i have that has never been released on a digital format. As it has never been on digital, track name lookup wasn't possible.

Only advice I think might be useful, is to use a separate good quality deck which will spin at 78 rpm, sample it in a good A/D converter, at 16 bit depth (lps don't have enough dynamic range to warrant anything higher) and bit rate of 98.2 then use a wave editor to slow the recording back down digitally.

This obviously allows you to complete the exercise of scanning in the LPS at faster than real time, then you can listen to scanned image with a plug in such as a de-noising plugin like SOAP ( I used steinburg wavelab, but its a bit of overkill for most people), adjusting the settings as you listen to the music, then just do a global apply across the whole side of the LP when you get settings you like, then cut and trim the tracks, and batch convert the wav's to mp3's. (Also done in wavelab). I found click removal worked great, and a high pass filter at 30 Hz to remove rumble worked well : broad spectrum noise reduction damaged the audio too much. It probably too about 30 minutes to do each LP.

I think...but i might not be right...if you already have the tune on one medium, then you are allowed to download it for free off limewire or your preferred p2p program. Its because you've already bought it, so it's not illegal.

Why not just download em?

Yep, just get yourself a rapidshare account and download all you want ;) saves a lot of time

I think...but i might not be right...if you already have the tune on one medium, then you are allowed to download it for free off limewire or your preferred p2p program. Its because you've already bought it, so it's not illegal.

We had quite an in depth discussion about this point ending with Ans calling me a liar, and shortly afterward a penis-waving vacousity. It was the highlight of my time on this forum.

But the situation you are describing is how the law WOULD be if common sense and logic prevailed.

However, it does not. The situation is that you never own the media you only license it, so sadly you are criminal do as you suggest. Just like you are criminal if you tape a film off the TV or backup your CD collection.

Whether or not you have to feel any guilt about that though is a separate matter. Depends on whether you treat the law like its the Qur'an or rather just see it as guide to one's behavior.

Law apart. I have a load of LP's, singles that I bought quite legitimately years ago.

Bought CD versions of many of the same over many years. However have much vinyl which would like to have transferred to CD.

Does anyone know who does this commercially? (I think there used to be that DJ'ing type place on Victoria Street some years ago who offered this service)