Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Pierrot Lunaire

Roses Of Picardy

musical terminolog

What does this mean?

... musical terminology.

Sorry if it was confusing...

Not confusing, just spelt wrong which, given how clever you are trying to appear, I found funny. Childish? Maybe, but then humour, like music, is a matter of personal taste isn't it?

Riotous. It's lucky I am wearing a well-fitted jacket or my sides may well have split.

I can only imagine the near uncontrollable mirth you must feel when re-reading your own posts.

musical terminolog

What does this mean?

... musical terminology.

Sorry if it was confusing...

Not confusing, just spelt wrong which, given how clever you are trying to appear, I found funny. Childish? Maybe, but then humour, like music, is a matter of personal taste isn't it?

Riotous. It's lucky I am wearing a well-fitted jacket or my sides may well have split.

I can only imagine the near uncontrollable mirth you must feel when re-reading your own posts.

You are quite an unpleasant person aren't you?

Hey, you started this. I made a typographical error. Come on now...

Yeah, but you are though aren't you? On another thread you have described someone as a 'smug cunt', although I strongly suspect you are in fact Pierrot Lunaire. Be honest, remember honesty is a virtue and you are a big fan of virtue.

Yeah, but you are though aren't you? On another thread you have described someone as a 'smug cunt', although I strongly suspect you are in fact Pierrot Lunaire. Be honest, remember honesty is a virtue and you are a big fan of virtue.

Well in the other thread I was quoting. Various other people also made this remark too. And there is the defense of fair comment. Also of course I am not PL... that's.... retarded. Sorry, but it is. I have in my time here been variously accused of being various users and I have asked Ans or someone to prove it's untrue, but he has better things to do. It's strange because up to now I've only ever been accused of being people that I tend to agree with not people I completely disagree with. Perhaps people will think I am also Censorship when they read this thread... Let's just forget all about it now. I made a mistake, and I am sorry I didn't proof-read my earlier post carefully enough. Everyone on here has made typographical mistakes including your good self. Forgive and forget....

Not the sort of music you want to be tripping your tits off to though is it?

No, I normally do that to 'Oops upside your head, I said oops upside your head', but I am just an old square.

Gosh...

Well! Gosh indeed! One attempts the betterment of others in the nicest possible way, and for what? Some people are SO sensitive.

What distressed me about the music is that the recording quality is awful and the baritone is, at best, mediocre. The composition has never received significant non-contemporary critical acclaim because it is, again at best, tedious and derivative. The lyrics, I might add are nothing more than self indulgent Victorian claptrap. The overall effect of this is like listening to a castrati singing with a bucket on his head whilst sitting on a washing machine on full spin.

I beg to differ of course. I was never painting the song as musically important or innovative. It's a good song, no more, no less. And of course the recording quality is awful in comparison to modern day recordings, but at nearly a century old, it's vintage audio as my link states. This to me, lends yet more charm to the strong links with the first world war, which I feel is the most powerful aspect of the work.

Now on to what distresses me about you; it's that you seek to justify what is entirely a matter of opinion by attempting to baffle me with musical terminolog (you picked the wrong person but more on that later).

Try not to work yourself into too distressed a state, I wasn't trying to baffle you, but simply trying to impart to you what little knowledge I have gleaned from listening to this song. I can see now that my attempts have been anything but welcome but don't be too hard on me for that. I was hitherto unaware that you possessed an in depth musical knowledge and a multi instrumental talent bordering on virtuosity. I now feel that I have much to learn from you, therefore it could be argued that contrary to your claim I actually picked the right person! One is ever learning after all.

As I am sure you know most every piece of popular music at least from the time of Tallis up to and including modern popular music makes use of its key's minor – it's like saying “this car is special because it has wheels”. How can this possibly be difficult to understand and, more importantly, what point are you making?

And, if you don't mind, let the learning begin. Because you've lost me already. "Makes use of it's key's minor" what exactly? A major key's relative minor? The diatonic minor chords of a major key? (You know, chords Ⅱ Ⅲ Ⅵ). The point I was making is lost here, because the song in question is in a minor key. Please elucidate.

Musical taste is a matter of opinion, it's not like the more perfect fifths you've got the better it is. Do you score melodic and harmonic minors differently?? – what nonsense.

A suspicious mind might wonder if you weren't just tossing random musical phrases around with a view to appearing informed. Luckily I am not suspicious so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and let you explain. Any composer would score melodic and harmonic minor scales differently. Of course they would, they have different notes in them you see! But seriously, what are you on about? They are both scales simultaneously employed in minor keys. And the use of perfect fifths in the tonal system is more than a matter of opinion. They have a specific function. There are rules.

As to listening to 'more and varied music' I will only reply that I am a concert-grade pianist (and pretty proficent violinist and baritone) and last week attended two operas (one in Sicily and one in Gozo), next week I am off to La Scala

Very impressive. Almost a dream come true.

I have a box at the Barbican in February to hear Beethoven's first and last – my children also say I should diversify my taste but they tend to mean into music post the Beatles. Dick.

That should be a good concert. Good luck finding your seat though. You might want to check the authenticity of your tickets. There are no boxes at the Barbican you see.

Edited by Pierrot Lunaire
  • Like 1

I have a box at the Barbican in February to hear Beethoven's first and last – my children also say I should diversify my taste but they tend to mean into music post the Beatles. Dick.

That should be a good concert. Good luck finding your seat though. You might want to check the authenticity of your tickets. There are no boxes at the Barbican you see.

Now, that IS funny!

Or a bit sad if Pierrot Lunaire and Wazir are the same person.

Pierrot, you have failed to address any of my points at all.

The fact is that I (and various other people) expressed an opinion and you have decided that because they disagreed with your view then they must 'not have understand'.

This is why people think you are smug cunt as has been pointed out variously across the forum.

You are entitled to have a view about your impression of the music, however it is complete bullshit to suggest that people who don't share it are less educated than you or have failed to understand something.

Yes, I made a mistake before - I am in Row D. I have a spare seat if you are interested - there are lots of fifths in it along with various shifts into the relative minor so I'm sure you'd like it....

Pierrot, you have failed to address any of my points at all.

I thought I'd addressed all of your points.

The fact is that I (and various other people) expressed an opinion and you have decided that because they disagreed with your view then they must 'not have understand'.

Sorry, I not have understand that.

This is why people think you are smug cunt as has been pointed out variously across the forum.

Well, you and JimCalagon. Not too much variety there. And I fancy such vulgarity is a facade barely masking inner insecurities.

You are entitled to have a view about your impression of the music, however it is complete bullshit to suggest that people who don't share it are less educated than you or have failed to understand something.

I didn't intentionally suggest any such thing. I was just hoping to encourage others to share a small moment that I find more poignant than being publicly seen and not heard, for a couple of minutes. And such a strong Manx connection!

Yes, I made a mistake before - I am in Row D. I have a spare seat if you are interested - there are lots of fifths in it along with various shifts into the relative minor so I'm sure you'd like it....

It's tempting, but I might find your snoring a little off putting. And don't forget, the Choral is in D minor! Which doesn't have a relative minor!

• Like 1

Fuck off you pair of idiots...

Maybe they can pick on me now instead of making small talk to each other

that 'music' really is appalling.

It's a shame you see things that way. A shame for you that is. I wonder what dismays you so much in this 'music'? Are you instinctively distressed by minor keys? That would be a tragedy on a par with losing the use of any two limbs, rendering a huge part of the musical repertoire inaccessible for you. If this is so, try to focus on the chorus, which enters on the dominant of the relative major. Granted, we are forced to wait until the last bar and word for resolution, but I feel the whole chorus gives us all hope after the solemnity of the opening verse. Don't you agree? The only other thing I can imagine distressing you is the use of extended harmony. Maybe you struggle to get your head around anything more complicated than basic triadic harmony, possibly only in root position at that. There are some rich extended chords used in this piece, I can hear 11th chords throughout, and at least one 13th, to say nothing of augmented and flattened fifths. I can understand these might leave you feeling a little bewildered, but maybe you just need to listen to a lot more, and varied, music. Good luck!

post-6293-1259071228_thumb.jpg