Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Speckled Frost

Water/concrete Concrete/water

Sorry, not been on here in ages but I need to throw this out there because it's bugging me.

They say that jumping from a great height into water is like jumping on to concrete.

But if you jump 20-30 feet into water you should be fine while you're likely to break bones if you jump from the same height on to concrete.

So, what is the pivotal height where water becomes like concrete?

It seems if you wore something really sharp which tapered nicely, you could probably survive falling into water and some considerable height.

I'm going to bear that in mind

But then you'd go in much deeper than you wanted and end up all drownded.

Good point.

I would need some flotation device like airbags in a car but this is all getting terribly inconvenient carrying around all this stuff in the unlikley event I will fall into water from a great height

If you had those to inflate as you submerge, you would probably surface too quickly and get the bends. So you ought to incorperate some sort of hyperbaric chamber type device too.

I think the height is about 100 feet, so once a falling body reaches a speed of approx 60 miles per hour or there abouts,

the result is that when you hit the water, the water can no longer move out of the way, so the effect is the same as hitting concrete.but I dont think there are any bridges that high in the Island,

I don't think it's just a height issue actually.

For instance, if you fall out of a boat that's not moving and you're a couple of feet above water - no big deal. If you fall out of a boat going 50mph at a couple of feet - Ooyah!

Has the concrete set or not?

Maybe surprisingly but higher than a couple of feet and it wouldn’t make a great deal of difference.

As people have said depends on your shape when you hit the water, and (just as importantly) your shape whilst you're in the air