Electrical Component Help

Hi guys,

A few years ago, i modified a scalextric car so that the current off the tracks fed a relay, which switched on the current from 3 9v batteries (which were connected to the motor) sellotaped onto the back of the car. This was turning the stock 4v output to 27v output...i think. I havent had a chance to test it yet, as i didnt have enough track. The thing with this design is that now there is now speed control, its either on or off.

So...is there a 'dynamic' relay that i can buy? One whos input is proportional to its output? Also, that is small enough to fit on board the car. Also, does anyone have any unwanted modern track, or vintage cars?

Thanks a bundle

G

I would think the only way you would get this to work would be make the car -remote control using a PIC/PWM speed controller - from a model aircraft (for the size).

27v will burn out the 4v in a very short time.

I would think the only way you would get this to work would be make the car -remote control using a PIC/PWM speed controller - from a model aircraft (for the size).

Use a power transistor and some resistors to use the track voltage as a control voltage for the higher powered source.

PS : If this is just to get the car to go faster, when I was 8, you could disasseble the exiting motor, remove the motor windings and re-wind them better with more cable, producing a stronger motor.

I dont know why you have attached the batteries though, back in my day we just used to use a more poweful track transformer to overvolt the cars and made them burn.

Cool, thanks.

I was trying to make my old car better than my mates modern one, so modifying the track would just make both cars faster.

Not if you feed the lanes individually from different power supplies.

I was sure Scalextric used 12v supplies anyway. Certain my old one was. Used to have a Matchbox 'powertrack' that was a similar thing but tiny cars and 6v.

I like your idea though. I approve.

Not sure what else you could try aside from motor swapping/modding. You could try some stuff like coating the plastic part of the pickup in silicone to reduce friction, replace the axle bushings with tiny ball races, and try to make the tyres more sticky so you get better takeoff speed.

If you can find tyres with a slightly larger rolling radius (if they fit in the shell) you'd gain a little top speed too.

You sound like a health hazard to be around :), but who hasn't done this when they were 8.

If your only desire is to outgun your mates car going for uprating the power probably isn't the best way to go and weighing it down with batteries sure isn't going to help.

You're far better off with Crets ideas and also consider changing the gear ratios. Many slot car enthusiast sites should be able to help you with this.

If you're looking to uprate the power to the car, then you need to do it at track level not vehicle level, because the components would outweigh the benefit, if not from a weight point of view, from a stability one. Think of the scale and the size of the items required.

I think someone's been watching Mr May too much :)

I think someone's been watching Mr May too much :)

Just read this and thought, "FFS missed it. I went on BBC IPlayer to watch it, and my bandwidth is too low. I then started to download it and it said it was going to take 6 (SIX) hours. Bloody dongles are useless. I shall watch it in the morning though. (Please dont use this thread to slag off dongles, there is another thread for that. Great for surfing text sites, but nothing more.)

PS : If this is just to get the car to go faster, when I was 8, you could disasseble the exiting motor, remove the motor windings and re-wind them better with more cable, producing a stronger motor.

from what I remember in the dim and distant past with rc cars less = more, take the motor apart remove a few windings from the armature and it will go faster.

Thanks Cret, sounds good.

Yep. May has re-kindled the interest.

@MickeyBlue, i have done that before, it doesn't work, the car just spun round in circles. The car wasn't usable afterwards.