Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Miss Roo

Bad Mood, Bad Tempered Or A Racist!

On Saturday at 2pm i noticed an Asian man running towards a stationary bus, i tapped on the bus to let the driver know there was someone else wanting to get on as i was walking beside the bus, as the man got to the end of the bus it started to move, the man managed to stop the bus and knocked gently on the doors for the driver to let him on, the driver took one look at him and drove off.

He was a bit pissed off to say the least but said he was ok, i walked away quite pissed off myself!!!

that happened to me once, i was later told that they are not allowed to open the doors when not at a official stop, nor are they allowed to re-open the doors once they have begun to pull away from a stop.

Difficult one that, could be all three, or any one. It's easy to attribute the race of the unsuccessful passenger but I can imagine the same scenario playing out with a white passenger. It's a shame really most drivers are friendly but there's the odd one spoils it.

that happened to me once, i was later told that they are not allowed to open the doors when not at a official stop, nor are they allowed to re-open the doors once they have begun to pull away from a stop.

When it suits.... It was an official stop because it was on the prom, but not being allowed to re-open doors is pathetic and insane, what is the reasoning behind this? (please dont say health and safety!)

Difficult one that, could be all three, or any one. It's easy to attribute the race of the unsuccessful passenger but I can imagine the same scenario playing out with a white passenger. It's a shame really most drivers are friendly but there's the odd one spoils it.

I have run for a bus or two like most people at some point but i have never had a driver pull off after looking at me, but yes i have to agree most are really friendly and helpful, although it has been a few years since i have got on a bus.

I don't think (or at least I hope) it was racist - I have come to the conclusion that bus drivers get cheapies out of driving off and leaving people - I was going for a bus a week or so ago from Kirk Michael (by the saddlery there) as my car was out of action and it is supposed to come at around 7:30 - 7:35 - I was dawdling along at about 7:25 and blow me if the bus didn't whizz pass. It stopped at the stop and I had to start running - I was so nearly there and the bastard bus driver actually made eye contact with me as I was frantically waiving my hand at him and he drove off - leaving me there, Twat is all I can say. I had to go home - my husband had to take me to work - with the three kids all the way to douglas and then rush back to get them all to school on time - MY HAT, I WAS CROSS.

When it suits.... It was an official stop because it was on the prom, but not being allowed to re-open doors is pathetic and insane, what is the reasoning behind this? (please dont say health and safety!)

Probably something to do with running to a timetable and having to be at the next stop on time.

Mind you our local bus is often at the bus stop early. The relationship between timetable and reality has leeway of about 5 minutes.

Edited by Moghrey Mie

i dont know the official reason but i would imagine that not being allowed to open the doors once pulling away from the bus stop would be to deter people from running for the bus.

perhaps people are dropping like flies from heart attacks when running for buses, or charging across the road and causing traffic accidents!

It often happens. Some bus drivers just have the idea that once the doors are shut you have had your chance. Some stop and open the doors and some don't. There might be a racist thing going on there but you can assume that unless there is a little more 'evidence'.

Sweeping generalizations For the Win!

I find MOST bus drivers to be superb and salt of the earth. Many a time I’ve been caught late and they have either held on or stopped as I ran, wheezed and flapped arms down the road towards the bus.

There are a couple out there who will drive off according to timetable even if they have seen someone running late to the stop although provided they’re not early they’re entitled to do this.

If ever they shoot off early from a stop then get it reported particularly if they see you running to a stop and still bugger off.