Buying A Car Locally

What car are you looking for ? And at what price ? Most of the cars are well over priced on the Island compared to the UK some around £5k, I've worked in the uk and island selling cars new and used you will save £££££ going across but you will always get a deal here when most garages are only selling over the hundred mark of new cars, most registrations are within the hire car industry on the island.

I have friends in the Uk who own and run garages and the prices have started to drop on used, It's just most of the trade people on the island have never worked or been to a car auction in there lives and would'nt last 5 mins working for a main dealer in the uk they just tell you what they read or hear or want you to hear.

For a new car test drive here then buy across unless they can nearly match the quote from across, ( taking into account boat and time )

If you need anymore info reply anytime i will help, I have saved people £££££ on buying new or used in the past.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok then, find me a 5dr Disco or a 110 Landy/Defender.

up to 750 quid - with a new UK MOT so Ive got a chance for the Manx Test.

Red or Black would be nice.

I have looked on auto trader and between £500-£1500 theres over 100,

So you say ok then like its a task,

I've got nissan murano 3.5 v6 auto full uk spec £33.000 uk retail I buy for £17.500 new inc vat nissan note payed £7200 for the last one inc vat new £11k

I have looked on auto trader and between £500-£1500 theres over 100,

So you say ok then like its a task,

I've got nissan murano 3.5 v6 auto full uk spec £33.000 uk retail I buy for £17.500 new inc vat nissan note payed £7200 for the last one inc vat new £11k

so you can find us cars at half price,

I am all for buying local - but - the car dealerships over here appear to be very lazy and don't seem to appreciate the business they could be doing - nobody returns calls - cars are way way overpriced.

Dont want to see the Manx economy run into the ground but they do need a wake up call!!

Try Blackhorse cars at Birmingham - http://www.blackhorsecarsales.co.uk/ - excellent staff and after sales care...saved approx 3k on car purchase - all relative I suppose depends what you are looking for - but IMO if you look there the local rip off guys will be exposed. (even taking into account the ferry crossing etc)

But don't forget the shipping costs, number plates and have to get it through the Manx Car Test

I am all for buying local - but - the car dealerships over here appear to be very lazy and don't seem to appreciate the business they could be doing - nobody returns calls - cars are way way overpriced.

Dont want to see the Manx economy run into the ground but they do need a wake up call!!

Try Blackhorse cars at Birmingham - http://www.blackhorsecarsales.co.uk/ - excellent staff and after sales care...saved approx 3k on car purchase - all relative I suppose depends what you are looking for - but IMO if you look there the local rip off guys will be exposed. (even taking into account the ferry crossing etc)

But don't forget the shipping costs, number plates and have to get it through the Manx Car Test

plus if it has a fault and coverd under there warrenty you cant just walk back in and go hay fix this,

you will have to sort out a garage to to do the work and that normaly is at a set rate, which a garage will never do.

what happins in the end is thay pay for the bits you pay for the labour,

its the chance you take to get a saveing.

Its still a pain to sort out

i would be going away myself but as i fix me own it dont really matter about the labour charge

From my own experience, I can recommend David White Cars at Snugborough. My family & I have used David for nearly 10 years and he looks after you. Does the whole lot, including sorting out insurance. All you have to do is go & pick it up (and pay!). After sales also good with Milky Quayle servicing the vehicle for you :)

There is a lot to be said for going to the UK and if you've got the time it's great but for me, I like the peace of mind of knowing if there's a problem, I can just call in.

Beware buying from the local paper though. A friend of mine recently bought a little runaround for £650 - it lasted 48 hours. So it is worth getting someone who knows what they're talking about to have a look under the bonnet first. I'm sure one of the local auto rescue places do something similar to the AA whereby for a small fee they'll do a report. My friend would have preferred to lose £60 to them than £650 but hindsight is a wonderful thing :)

"But don't forget the shipping costs, number plates and have to get it through the Manx Car Test"

If you read my post correctly you would see that I did mention that the saving had taken into account the boat fare, etc ..ie .that includes ferry, hotel costs and local registration costs including number plates tax etc - the car was less than 3 years old so didn't need to go through the test - and it came with a manufacturers warranty no down side....

I personaly wont buy a vehicle on the island ever again, went to the main dealership I bought my french (first clue) vehicle from, similar vehicle up for sale for £8500 not quite the same spec as mine and with a dent in the tailgate. I had seen a vehicle I quite liked so went into showroom spoke to salesperson from Sheffield (second clue) who went on his computer and quoted me £3500 ???? So ----- I buy a vehicle from him for £11000 he makes a massive mark up - and he wants to make £5000 off mine !!!!!

I personaly wont buy a vehicle on the island ever again, went to the main dealership I bought my french (first clue) vehicle from, similar vehicle up for sale for £8500 not quite the same spec as mine and with a dent in the tailgate. I had seen a vehicle I quite liked so went into showroom spoke to salesperson from Sheffield (second clue) who went on his computer and quoted me £3500 ???? So ----- I buy a vehicle from him for £11000 he makes a massive mark up - and he wants to make £5000 off mine !!!!!

Forgot to mention the service manager, the most arrogant little prick you ever want to meet. That is why I get my French vehicle serviced elsewhere.

Edited by manxmackem

I've tried to buy there in the past. Turned up. No part ex at all. Asked what deal could be done for cash and no part ex and was told 'the sticker price' as were already selling this cheap enough. Total wanker - and not entirely surprised at the used stock they seem to be carrying if those are the sort of shit deals they offer the general public who have cash to buy.

Edited by thesultanofsheight