Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Dave Hedgehog

Another Government Strike Thread

As for all the whining about the taxpayer , government workers pay tax too .

Funnily enough we know that. Public servants should be carrying on too about how much they are having to pay for the very generous PS scheme through their tax.

It would be great if public servant taxpayers also contributed to private sector employees pensions in an unfunded defined benefit scheme - that way everyone would be happy.

I really cannot believe that a strike is being considered at this time and over, currently, very advantageous pension entitlements. Does Little Miss Moffat live in the same world as the rest of us and, for that matter, her membership? Sadly, she really is not a chip off the old block. Bernie made some interesting observations about the Labour Party's, allegedly unorchestrated, attack on the IOM and the role of unions in assisting in a 're-education'. Whereas, Miss M has demonstrated no such strategic thinking beyond STRIKE!

By the by, where on earth does that really annoying accent come from? The accent alone would be OK, but it is the affected drawly, lazy delivery that really raises my hackles. As a spokesperson, perhaps it is better that she doesn't speak because she scores nil for content and presentation.

I was about to defend her against slurs on her physical attributes, but then realised her hair and accent (or rather delivery) are all within her control. So yep, open season.

So as a spokes person as long as she doesn't speak or appear in a picture or news article I'm sure everything else is perfectly ok !!!

Well, apart from the foot in mouth disease....

footmouth25W.jpg

Just to sidetrack it a bit - talking about strike action when money is being wasted on things such as "a Hockey and Badminton Development Officer (3 Year Limited Term)" position (25k upwards)

http://www.gov.im/isleofman/vacancysearch....ll=1&page=4

It just makes a private sector employee a bit peeved off...

I think we are of the same opinion TSOS. She just doesn't strike me as someone with the wit or gravitas to be taken seriously. There are two aspects to most roles: substance and presentation. If your presentation isn't spot on then, to stand any chance, your substance has to be dazzling. Not sure that there is a good score on either in this case.

I think we are of the same opinion TSOS. She just doesn't strike me as someone with the wit or gravitas to be taken seriously. There are two aspects to most roles: substance and presentation. If your presentation isn't spot on then, to stand any chance, your substance has to be dazzling. Not sure that there is a good score on either in this case.
I don't see anything wrong with her hair.

why are there so many narrow minded uninformed morons on here? i came to this island ten years ago having been recruited by this government. at the time i was promised the same pension that i would have got in the uk. i thought that their word was good and left my home and family on the strength of this. i bought an overpriced property and settled down to serve the people of this island. i now find a bunch of farmers and shopkeepers are playing with peoples lives and futures because of their inability to run a small population. no wonder the uk has stopped subsidising this haven for the rich, where if you have more than 100,000 you dont have to pay tax on it, or if you run a lucrative business you get zero tax to pay. wake up and smell the coffee. tax the bloody rich and stop screwing the ordinary people trying to make a living. they are messing with our pensions and health care and have no idea of the effect this will have on the people of this island.

i know theres a boat in the morning but i was asked to come here by your government and i was promised the same benefits that i would have got if i stayed in the uk.

why is there a pensions crisis? jurby prison, iris project (still not working) nobles hospital, airport extension. etc etc etc. i've paid in for 22 years why should i give that up?

But the Island runs by allowing the rich to get richer. It is the ugly nature of the Manx economy. It is no different from any other country, except it is better at doing it. But given its size it is dependent on this. To apply progressive taxation to the rich and apply taxes to the corporations. It would mean that these companies and people leave. The Island's economy would shrink and people would have to leave. Which isn't such a bad idea in my opinion if it is a slow process. Better than the allow the status quo to continue.

why are there so many narrow minded uninformed morons on here? i came to this island ten years ago having been recruited by this government. at the time i was promised the same pension that i would have got in the uk. i thought that their word was good and left my home and family on the strength of this. i bought an overpriced property and settled down to serve the people of this island. i now find a bunch of farmers and shopkeepers are playing with peoples lives and futures because of their inability to run a small population. no wonder the uk has stopped subsidising this haven for the rich, where if you have more than 100,000 you dont have to pay tax on it, or if you run a lucrative business you get zero tax to pay. wake up and smell the coffee. tax the bloody rich and stop screwing the ordinary people trying to make a living. they are messing with our pensions and health care and have no idea of the effect this will have on the people of this island.

i know theres a boat in the morning but i was asked to come here by your government and i was promised the same benefits that i would have got if i stayed in the uk.

why is there a pensions crisis? jurby prison, iris project (still not working) nobles hospital, airport extension. etc etc etc. i've paid in for 22 years why should i give that up?

So you were duped?

I think we have woken up and smelt the coffee, most did some time ago. Government employees, on the other hand, have not even ground the beans.

Funny how the private sector seems to have all the answers now, isn't it? What with them being the ones who made such an awful mess of things in the first place.

no wonder the uk has stopped subsidising this haven for the rich, where if you have more than 100,000 you dont have to pay tax on it, or if you run a lucrative business you get zero tax to pay.

Your post unfortunately shows up the calibre or lack of it that many in the private sector believe many employed in the public sector have.

If you have more than £100,000 you do may tax on it! If you elect there is a tax cap of £100,000 if single or seperately assesssed or £200,000 if jointly assessed. That basically means approximately £600,000 of Manx or Untaxed income if single or £1.2million if married and jointly assessed. Nothing likeyour stated figure of £100,000.

In addition if you run a lucrative business yo do not get zero tax to pay even ignoring taxes such as VAT, employers National Insurance. Whilst the company may be taxed at 0% you are required to distribute 55% of profits by way of dividend if a trading company or 100% if a non trading company owned by Manx Residents. If you do not the manx resident is deemed to have received such a dividend and taxed accordingly. Therefore whilst the company may not be taxed directly there is a mechanism to ensure that the profits are paid out and taxed.

i've paid in for 22 years why should i give that up?

I would not expect you to and neither I expect would the majority of IoM Residents. The argument is that the pension you receive should more fairly reflect what you have paid in. At present it does not and if a member of the private sector wished to have a pension that was equivalent to a public sector pension they would have to contribute a considerable amount more that you are or have paid.

Funny how the private sector seems to have all the answers now, isn't it? What with them being the ones who made such an awful mess of things in the first place.

I am not quite sure wht you mean, but I assume you are talking about the recession. The recession is not the fault of the private sector, it is down to one man - Gordon Brown. His borrow and spend culture that he advocated (and still does) caused rampant inflation in house prices and caused people to go into ridiculous amounts of debt. This, along with some bad banking practices which mainly emminated from the USA cause the recession here. Not businesses in the private sector.

why are there so many narrow minded uninformed morons on here? i came to this island ten years ago having been recruited by this government. at the time i was promised the same pension that i would have got in the uk.

And the answer is:

Oh really. Now where does it say they can't change your T & C's? Oh, it doesn't.

If you don't like it then vote with your feet - LEAVE THE SERVICE!

i've paid in for 22 years why should i give that up?

How can you have paid in for 22 years when you've only been on the island for 10? If you transferred your pension across what rate did they give you - year for year?

Also, what percentage of your salary do you pay into the scheme and what is your currently expected return?

Blah blah blah no wonder the uk has stopped subsidising this haven for the rich, blah blah blah

Actually, the IOM collects over £600,000,000 a year in VAT and associated taxes, pays it all to the UK who are now saying we can have something like £230,000,000 back. We are the ones subsidising the UK. In my opinion, we should keep the lot and stick two fingers up at the one eyed git and his clan.