Isle Of Man Newspapers Shop Local Campaign

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bumping as they're running a new campaign in the Courier this week.   They are challenging local retailers to 'step up' and stock items that people currently buy online and are also asking their rea

an interesting question would be how much do Gov Depts spend on advertising with IOM Newspapers. I imagine that it is a sickening amount.

How appropriate for this close to Christmas - that old chestnut. Yaaaaaaaawn.

What I love about this campaign is urging people to shop local, and then running advertising features which promote UK companies rather than local alternatives - there's one in the courier this week which suggests Thorntons for chocolates instead of, for example, Rolys, and Dorothy Perkins for boots instead of any number of local shoe shops. And before anyone says we have local branches of both employing local people, the feature didn't suggest going to strand street - it recommended shopping online, and not through shopiom either!

Its due to the newspaper using generic, UK-produced filler material dressed up as 'feature' so advertising space can be filled around it. It's bought in from the UK, written by UK workers and promotes UK brands - it makes an absolute joke out of any shop local campaign

That outlook shite which comes with the courier is always full of the same crap - UK-produced content to justify having a glossy mag which you can charge top dollar to advertisers for.

If they are that keen on supporting local industry, how about employing some local writers to create features, or even having the page layout done here rather than in the UK?

For an example of what wonderful supporters of local shops iom newspapers is, have a look at their online shop HERE

:angry: Manx Radio are another one encouraging people to shop off Island, Brindley was talking to Ebay twerps today ,she sounded as if she thought she was THE expert, Turkeys on line ?

Its worse when you have manx radio staff writing articles in iom newspapers encouraging people to buy online,especially when both businesses rely on revenue from local advertising.

Ok but its mildly NSFW Click if your an adult and all that warning stuff

If you email them they are willing to offer free local delivery on a lot of stock, or at least they use to.

That's local?

Even if the local shoop is part of a larger chain, at least it is employing locally, so I don't have a problem with buying from Strand Street at all.

Yes its local, why would you question it?

I've been thinking about it and most of the stuff I buy I don't think you can buy on the Island. The main problem is, knowing who sells what, they probably won't have the exact thing you want in stock. You have to waste your time looking around the shops knowing they won't have it in stock, if they order it for you, you'll still have to go back in to town to collect it and pay their mark up.

I use the internet to research what I want to buy, so the logical next step is just to add it to your basket and get it delivered to your house. Why would I go in to town to then have to deal with sales assistance who don't know what they are talking about trying to sell you something else? You try going in to a photography shop and explain you want coloured gels to put over your flash so you can balance your flash with the ambient colour of the tungsten or florecent lighting in a room and see what blank look you get. (the idea is put an orangish gel on flash, to match the tungsten lighting in a room, then set white balance in camera to tungsten, it should all come out looking normal instead of orange.)

The few items I do buy locally, are usually because I need them now, or things like clothes and food and drink that doesn't make sense to buy online.

Below is a list of what I've recently bought, online and local, most of the online stuff you probably couldn't find on the Island or you would waste every lunch time running around all the shops looking for it.

Even most of the local stuff is bought from Game, Tescos, M&S so not really local.

The only good customer service I've seen recently was the guy in Esquires he was helpful, and when I came out from trying on a pair of jeans he had layed out all the other jeans with my size on top to make it easy for me to buy another pair on impulse which I did.

Home brew kits and equipment

Radio controled helicopter & parts

VW campervan parts

passive cooled graphics card with HDMI

TV Wall mounting bracket

Speaker mounting kit

Custom spec computer & monitor

Kitchen Lino (cheaper even with delivery)

Prescription swimming goggles

Data recovery software

Coloured flash gels

Photographic black cloth backdrop

Local

HDMI Cables

SATA Cables

Beer

Wine

Food

Jeans

shirts

slippers

car tyre

car service

games console (wish I hadn't)

External hard drive

Petrol

Edited by Manxman27
Ironically, this thread fails to identify any real irony.

OK, here's the irony- the IOM government is berating us for not shopping locally but I wonder if anyone can remind me, what was the name of the local IT company the Government paid £300,000 to for the ShopIOM site?

Oh yes, that's right, the local company is Venda, based in the USA.

I've been thinking about it and most of the stuff I buy I don't think you can buy on the Island. The main problem is, knowing who sells what, they probably won't have the exact thing you want in stock. You have to waste your time looking around the shops knowing they won't have it in stock, if they order it for you, you'll still have to go back in to town to collect it and pay their mark up.

I use the internet to research what I want to buy, so the logical next step is just to add it to your basket and get it delivered to your house. Why would I go in to town to then have to deal with sales assistance who don't know what they are talking about trying to sell you something else? You try going in to a photography shop and explain you want coloured gels to put over your flash so you can balance your flash with the ambient colour of the tungsten or florecent lighting in a room and see what blank look you get. (the idea is put an orangish gel on flash, to match the tungsten lighting in a room, then set white balance in camera to tungsten, it should all come out looking normal instead of orange.)

The few items I do buy locally, are usually because I need them now, or things like clothes and food and drink that doesn't make sense to buy online.

Below is a list of what I've recently bought, online and local, most of the online stuff you probably couldn't find on the Island or you would waste every lunch time running around all the shops looking for it.

Even most of the local stuff is bought from Game, Tescos, M&S so not really local.

The only good customer service I've seen recently was the guy in Esquires he was helpful, and when I came out from trying on a pair of jeans he had layed out all the other jeans with my size on top to make it easy for me to buy another pair on impulse which I did.

Home brew kits and equipment

Radio controled helicopter & parts

VW campervan parts

passive cooled graphics card with HDMI

TV Wall mounting bracket

Speaker mounting kit

Custom spec computer & monitor

Kitchen Lino (cheaper even with delivery)

Prescription swimming goggles

Data recovery software

Coloured flash gels

Photographic black cloth backdrop

Local

HDMI Cables

SATA Cables

Beer

Wine

Food

Jeans

shirts

slippers

car tyre

car service

games console (wish I hadn't)

External hard drive

Petrol

Have to agree about Esquires, both the lads that own it are really helpful and I also got a nice pair of jeans from there, usually find I have to go to Tynwald Mills, so its good that they stock makes that fit.

OK, here's the irony- the IOM government is berating us for not shopping locally but I wonder if anyone can remind me, what was the name of the local IT company the Government paid £300,000 to for the ShopIOM site?

Mock ye not

A hat has been sold to an American............

Mock ye not

A hat has been sold to an American............

Yes but it took some 2 hats to opt for an off Island company.

Its worse when you have manx radio staff writing articles in iom newspapers encouraging people to buy online,especially when both businesses rely on revenue from local advertising.

Funny - I thought you were talking about me until I remembered that I've always been PRO local shopping as long as the customer isn't ripped off by high prices or crappy service standards. I started a thread here some months ago about buying tyres online because local businesses couldn't be bothered quoting me happy (and then being relieved that they were being supplied by National in Derby Square anyway). And I wrote a column in the Independent a few weeks ago supporting the call to shop local wherever possible, but suggesting that local retailers couldn't be complacent in expecting people to do that if the prices and service weren't comparable.

Both times there were complaints from local retailers accusing me of killing local businesses. For the record, I'll shop locally whenever I can, and if the price is only a little higher than the more convenient online option (we all have a living to make). If it's something I NEED sales assistance with, or may have to return under warranty, I'll shop locally. If it means wasting a day trudging around Douglas for something I can do much cheaper in a couple of mouse clicks, there has to be a compelling reason not to choose the latter, and being scowled at for daring to want to buy something that's overpriced (for WHATEVER possibly justifiable reason) doesn't quite cut the mustard.

Did all my Christmas shopping on the IOM. And the IOM newspaper campaign actually did kind of influence me to think about that.

But all that is undone as I bought all my presents online.

On a side note where do people buy furniture on the Island? I looked for months to find decent living room furniture locally but there is sod all choice and its bloody expensive. Ended up getting some, actually quite a lot, very good quality stuff from across for less including shipping than the cost of a similar standard sideboard locally.