New Owners Callow's Yard?

John Wright

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest, if Mr T had come to me (or perhaps anyone) and asked me about his revolutionary new shopping concept in the heart of Castletown I could have told him, in the time it takes to sink a pint in the Gluepot, it's a bit of a non starter .

You are John Harvey-Jones and I claim my £5.

To be honest, if Mr T had come to me (or perhaps anyone) and asked me about his revolutionary new shopping concept in the heart of Castletown I could have told him, in the time it takes to sink a pint in the Gluepot, it's a bit of a non starter .

You are John Harvey-Jones and I claim my £5.

I remember John Harvey-Jones doing a programme about the IOM and saying something along the lines that it was a brilliant place and would be ruined if it didn't remain a well-kept secret. Does anyone know what year that was because I've been trying to find the newspaper report?

Understand that the newsagent in Callow's Yard is closing and that Mr T is 'in negotiations' with the one in Arbory Street. 'Rumour' has it that they will only move if they can be an 'independent' shop not one of Mr T's profit centres.

I remember John Harvey-Jones doing a programme about the IOM and saying something along the lines that it was a brilliant place and would be ruined if it didn't remain a well-kept secret. Does anyone know what year that was because I've been trying to find the newspaper report?

I don't remeber his series Troubleshooter covering the Isle of Man specifically - other than when he covered Norton I believe - I might be wrong on that. Troubleshooter was broadcast in the 1990s.

He did visit the Island in 2001 (I'm pretty sure of that) and gave a speech here I believe at a meeting/conference he was invited to, saying: 'I travel the world speaking at many conferences and meetings, but you have here the best-kept secret that I have found.'

He died in 2008 aged 83.

I don't remeber his series Troubleshooter covering the Isle of Man specifically - other than when he covered Norton I believe - I might be wrong on that. Troubleshooter was broadcast in the 1990s.

John Harvey-Jones in the stores at the Morgan car factory:

J H-J "So, what stock control system do you use?"

Store-man "Well I look at the shelf, and if there's not many left, I order some more...."

John Harvey-Jones in the stores at the Morgan car factory:

J H-J "So, what stock control system do you use?"

Store-man "Well I look at the shelf, and if there's not many left, I order some more...."

No doubt why they have just celebrated 100 years and are now the largest British owned car maker!

He did visit the Island in 2001 (I'm pretty sure of that) and gave a speech here I believe at a meeting/conference he was invited to, saying: 'I travel the world speaking at many conferences and meetings, but you have here the best-kept secret that I have found.'

He died in 2008 aged 83.

Thanks Albert - that's a start (I did keep the the Examiner report on his speech but it's just stuffed in a very large box along with hundreds of other cuttings that I'll never get around to putting in some sort of order!)