Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Liesel

Peter Pan At The Gaiety

They're idiots. JUST LIKE MHKs !!!!!! LOL!!!! See what I did there?!

I'd have to be stupid not to! Like an MLC! For they are also very stupid! HAH!!!

I also did not like the part when the one of the characters told the children that "most of them are here by accident, because their parents went drinking in Paramount City, and now they have to bring them to the pantomime when they would rather be in the pub"

Jesus, is that an actual quote?

Pretty much.

I've been to the last three pantomimes with the kids, and with each one it seems they're trying to get progressively more "clever" with their adult jokes and they seem to be losing sight of the fact that it's supposed to be a kids pantomime. Subtle adult humour is great, when it's done so the grown ups quietly snigger and the kids barely notice, but when they're making gags about semen being good for the skin, then I'm sorry, you're not doing your show for the right audience. Kids don't know who MHKs are, they looked blankly as you paraded signs with "VAT" on them and the above comment about all the children being accidents was ill thought out and tasteless at best.

The guy playing Hook was good though, he put in an entertaining shift as the bad guy and the chap playing Peter Pan did a decent job. The two pirates were alright and the girl playing the Squaw Wigwam character is always pleasantly reliable in these and didn't disappoint. In fact, I only thought there was one really poor performance which is pretty good considering they had to work with what I thought was a terrible script.

I'm not trying to knock them too hard as the kids were all entertained and had a good time. I hope next years is better though as if it isn't, it's probably going to be the last for me.

the above comment about all the children being accidents was ill thought out and tasteless at best.

I'm not trying to knock them too hard as the kids were all entertained and had a good time. I hope next years is better though as if it isn't, it's probably going to be the last for me.

You're a more patient man than I, as I think I probably would have been tempted to walk out at that point (although that obviously just draws attention to something that hopefully went over the kids' heads). The whole experience sounds very much like being cornered by a drunk relative or associate who can't help but blurt out stupidly inappropriate comments at precisely the wrong time.

I've been to the last three pantomimes with the kids, and with each one it seems they're trying to get progressively more "clever" with their adult jokes and they seem to be losing sight of the fact that it's supposed to be a kids pantomime.

Last years was a different production company. Last one this lot did was 2007's Jack N The Beanstalk.

I also did not like the part when the one of the characters told the children that "most of them are here by accident, because their parents went drinking in Paramount City, and now they have to bring them to the pantomime when they would rather be in the pub" It's not the best thing to explain to a child what they mean by - most of you are accidents, just ask your parents!

This is inappropriate, but I suppose it is little different from what our children hear on the likes of National Radio BBC1.

I remember hearing far, far worse than this from Chris Evans on morning breakfast time radio - and look what a star and multi-millionaire he became. At least this was at the theatre and you can get away with not having to explain to the children the meaning of the 'jokes' there and then, and generally most of it will simply go over their heads anyway.

I remember it being a very different case at the family breakfast table. Incidentally I did write in to complain to the controller of BBC Radio One at the time, Matthew Bannister. I got the courtesy of a reply which basically said tough mate, most people find Chris Evans very funny.

Apparently, this type of thing is termed pushing the envelope.

Expect a lot, lot more in future.

I remember hearing far, far worse than this from Chris Evans on morning breakfast time radio - and look what a star and multi-millionaire he became. At least this was at the theatre and you can get away with not having to explain to the children the meaning of the 'jokes' there and then, and generally most of it will simply go over their heads anyway.

Isn't the explanation simply that it's a joke?

I've been to the last three pantomimes with the kids, and with each one it seems they're trying to get progressively more "clever" with their adult jokes and they seem to be losing sight of the fact that it's supposed to be a kids pantomime.

Last years was a different production company. Last one this lot did was 2007's Jack N The Beanstalk.

A good professional panto is very hard to do as it needs to entertain both the kids and the adults. There will therefore be some jokes that go over the kids heads.

I always go with my family to the same theatre every year for their panto and it is absoultely brilliant. It appears to appeal to all and is very quick and sharp so no sketches etc drag. I do not necessarily expect the same standard in the IoM but I thought last years show at the Gaiety was a definite step up on previous years and I am disappointed thet did not give them another run.

That is nothing against the locals but in my view good Panto writing is a fairly specilaist art, you tend to see the same view names on all the better ones. and I thing that is the way the IoM should go.

Why do you all presume panto is for kids, now or historically

It should work at all levels, ie for the kids and for the adults who will normally be equal in number

Pany gto is suppsed to be irreverent, undermining and anarchic rude and funny

It should be teaching our kids wh it humour and sarcasm as well as politics. It should be risque, after all its cross dressed.

Childeren have enquiring minds, were you uncomfortable with the jokes or the questions?

Personally, I was uncomfortable with the fact that the script was absolute shit. The 'adult' jokes were boring and predictable, raising few laughs from anyone, and it was only the talent and determination of the performers that kept the whole thing afloat.

Mr Addie & I went to Peter Pan with a 5 and a 7 year old.

They enjoyed it a lot but got bored with the front of curtain chit chat. Tired old homosexual references and seamen and the 'accident' comments were tedious in the extreme.

But all the children there seemed to enjoy yelling and booing at Captin Hook and waving their light sticks like crazy. I think said 5 year old was the loudest there :-)

Good performances from Hook and Peter Pan and Tinkerbell. The Lost Boys were good for their ages though.

The girlies' wrigglings reminded me of the sister doing her Hawaiian turn in Dirty Dancing. Wonderful.

Would benefit from having a a good hour edited out somewhere. Dot Tilbury(?) and friend's childrens interviews were plain boring.

Tickets £49.00 2 Light Sticks £6.00 Icecream and drinks £9.00. Not the cheapest of days out.

Why do you all presume panto is for kids, now or historically

Well, whatever the history of panto, surely it is now pretty much accepted as primarily children's entertainment, with the odd bit of mild innuendo thrown in.

It should work at all levels, ie for the kids and for the adults who will normally be equal in number

Isn't that the complaint though, that it didn't work on all levels? It sounds like the grown up jokes just bored a lot of people and weren't subtle enough to seamlessly blend into the kid's material.

Childeren have enquiring minds, were you uncomfortable with the jokes or the questions?

I've always thought this the weakest of all the arguments for a certain kind of adult humour in children's comedy. "Well billy, some folks like a spunky fazoo, and yes, you were an accident" really isn't that much of an enlightening education. There is a stark difference between encouraging a child's curiosity and being provocatively crass just for the sake of it.

Good performances from Hook and Peter Pan and Tinkerbell. The Lost Boys were good for their ages though.

Can't argue with that. And Tinkerbell was definitely the first fairy I've ever found fanciable!

well, i enjoyed it. especially dot & tony (and peter himself was good)

gary chatel got a couple of cracking one-liners out:

after the interval, he said he'd been out on the prom for a quick blow with peter pan!!

a classic example of the single-entendre (such a rarity these days)

I dunno, but I thought it was rubbish. The men in the play were senile, and the women were desperate for attention from the sexually active children.

gary chatel got a couple of cracking one-liners out:

after the interval, he said he'd been out on the prom for a quick blow with peter pan!!

Oh, so that was actually a joke ... doh!