Dig For Victory!

mollag

Any thoughts on the refusal of permission to establish new allotments in Onchan? I may not have all the facts but on the face of it, it seems a poor decision.

In a recent Hoo Flowery-Whiperwill programme he revealed that Councils in England have a charter obligation to make free land available for allotments if requested by ratepayers.

Perhaps there is a dusty clause in the Manx equivelent?

IMHO i think allotments are great idea and should be encouraged.

Edited by mollag

I agree, they are a great idea and should be encouraged. I have always been in favour of Douglas Corpy setting some up.

They were supposed to be setting some allotments up by the cemetary on Johnny Wattersons lane. People were told to register interest, which we did and recieved a letter to confirm interest. Since then (about a year ago) we have heard naff all.

Can you enquire John?

EDIT to add link: http://www.douglas.gov.im/shownews.asp?ID=3042

Edited by slinkydevil

We should be discussing it again at Council next wednesday, they are still defo going ahead, as I have my name down for one as well.

I think its just the planning process that slows it down.

But i will also email the Town Clerk's assistant to get a update.

edited for crap spelling...

Edited by Just John

Heard about that, ridiculous decision, think the reason they gave was that it would change the look of the place, WTF !!!, change it from a field to a bustling area where people act as a community and grow their own food, is that not a good thing ?, wonder if the same argument will be given when (cough) they refuse Tesco planning permission for their new store (cough !!). Farmland is meant to be used to produce food, thats what its there for !!, perhaps when the imports from the UK run into trouble because of the current cold snap there may be some recognition that it would be a good thing if we produced more of our own food on the island instead of importing crap from the UK or further afield

Can't help but wonder if pressure has been exerted from the food importers and suppliers to prevent this, or some rich arse who's house overlooks the field, of course we'd never know as that would all happen behind closed doors

As is so often the case, something that seems like a wholly positive move forward is stifled by the government

I'm just grateful I live in PSM where we have some allotments and they have just created more

I'm pretty sure I heard something over xmas about issues with the allotments at the Braaid ? - anyone know anything about that ?

Good on Harvey Briggs anyway for having a go and trying to improve things

Any thoughts on the refusal of permission to establish new allotments in Onchan? I may not have all the facts but on the face of it, it seems a poor decision.

In a recent Hoo Flowery-Whiperwill programme he revealed that Councils in England have a charter obligation to make free land available for allotments if requested by ratepayers.

Perhaps there is a dusty clause in the Manx equivelent?

IMHO i think allotments are great idea and should be encouraged.

I was one of the guys who had expressed an intrest in an allotment and I am bit peeved about it.

I did some research with the council about a year ago and there is provision in the local by-laws which state that if 6 people express written intrest in allotments then the council must seek out land to use. There is further provision that states they may purchase this land. This is why they are still looking for land.

What makes me laugh about these allotments was the excuse that people having to drive to the allotments will have a negative impact to the enviroment. What crap. They allotments up in Andres are used by people all over the island. I know a family in Douglas that have one. It's a pathetic excuse.

I had heard that Mr Briggs children were unhappy with him offering this land because they thought the council may re-zone it as housing (as they have done to the old allotments) and they have complained about it. Now like most manx rumours it is probably horse poo but you never know..

Heard about that, ridiculous decision, think the reason they gave was that it would change the look of the place, WTF !!!,

yep would make it look like a field full of pallets and shit,

eye sore if i ever did see one.

maybe this one would be ran better and look tidy, but the one i see every day is a shit tip

Harvey Briggs has given over land before from the Ballakillmartin farm. The far side off the river in Molly Quirks was the last piece i believe.

Just shows what arseholes work in the Planning and, imo, the first thing they should do is appoligise to Mr Briggs and get it right for once

You always get quite a few people who sign up for these things, and then lose interest after a while, and standards can soon drop. They need to make sure allotments are kept to a certain standard, and not look like a travellers site. Many can soon look like that.

Growing your own is not as easy as it looks on telly. Most often, it's monotonous and back-breaking work, and mostly wet weather, muddy sludge and cold - never mind the pest munching your spuds - so you need to be dedicated - which is the main reason Tesco's/Shoprite's fruit and veg depts are so popular.

The allotment at St Marks,the cars are parked on the bend on the road.Not ideal.

You obviously did not hear the interview on MR the other day.

They have been given permission to widen the entrance but the hard standing has been turned down

because the wording on the planning application wasnt quite correct!

What wonderful planners we have.