Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
WilDDog

Wanted Manx Kitten

Jay I really can't see how it can be stopped, the only way would be to get your parents a dog.

[Perhaps if cats had to be licenced in the same way as dogs, their owners might try to keep them on their own property.

That's gonna be pretty hard to do, Jay, unless the owners walk around with their cats on leads! <_< Mind you, a bloke who lived up the road from me used to do that :lol:

Jay I really can't see how it can be stopped, the only way would be to get your parents a dog.

I suggested the dog solution , but they don't particularly want to keep a dog. Apart from the responsibility that goes along with it, they're not really in a position to exercise a dog regularly as neither of them can walk any great distance.

There dosn't appear to be an easy solution, in fact, there dosn't appear to be any solution!

Yes Minnie, I've seen People with cats on leads too, but very few of them and I don't know whether it would be possible to persuade cat owners to keep their cats on leads to exercise them!

What about you WD? Will you be taking your little kitty out for a walk on a lead?

Buy a spinkler system for the garden and switch it on when they come. Cats hate water.

It's A little impractical, You can hardly leave a sprinkler on 24/7.

They've even tried a device that detects movement and then emits a high pitched sound inaudible to humans which is supposed to scare cats but that seemed not to work either.

A frustrating aspect is when talking to cat owners about it they appear not to want to acknowlege the problem exists, I'm sure if they realised the disgusting mess and general nuisance their animals cause they might think twice before letting their pets roam.

Edited by Jay

You wouldn't have to have it on 24/7.

It would be conditioning. Just switch it on when they come in and eventually they would know not to go into the garden because they would invariably get wet.

Jay Wrote

What about you WD? Will you be taking your little kitty out for a walk on a lead?

The cat isn't for me, I was asked to see if anyone new where to get one, it wouldn't be staying on the Island.

I'm like your parents, looking for a way to stop them fouling in the garden, I might have to get another dog.

You wouldn't have to have it on 24/7.

It would be conditioning. Just switch it on when they come in and eventually they would know not to go into the garden because they would invariably get wet.

But how is anybody to know when they are going to make an appearance?

A lookout would have to be maintained around the clock!

Me thinks Jay is a nasty cat hater  :angry:

No I'm not a cat hater at all Minnie, far from it, and if other people like to own cats that's fine by me.

But the fact is that cats belonging to other people are allowed to roam when and wherever they want and make a disgusting mess in my parents garden.

I'm not suggesting anything too radical, just that maybe if cat owners (like dog owners) had to licence their pets and not allow them to roam free, it might go a long way towards solving the problem.

We used to get our neighbours cats taking sh*ts in our flower beds all the time until the hosepipe was turned on them.......They can sure shift fast.

you can get cat replelant, citrus smelling type things that cats dont like not sure if they work tho.

Yes I know cats don't like water but as I explained earlier, it's very impractical.

Pepper sprays and various other sprays such as those mentioned by Tee have had no effect either. (unless you can deliver them head on!)

I really don't see why some cat owners, (I say some because there must be a number of responsible cat owners out there) let there pets roam about knowing they must be making a mess somewhere. Dog owners don't get away with it anymore and I can't see why cat owners should be treated any differently.

As I told Minnie, I'm not a cat hater or against people keeping cats, I just wish they would look after their animals properly and to appreciate the fact that a lot of people don't like to have piles of their cats xxxx in their gardens.