Web Hosts Introducing Ftp Lock

I have had notification from a web host that they will be introducing 'ftp lock' to prevent website hacking, but that will interfere with a couple of automatic ftp uploads I have running (weather and webcam etc.). They say it will likely be introduced by most other hosts too.

They can accept defined i.p. addresses but not dynamic addresses, and the maximum 'unlock' period is 28 days, but I'd go and forget that and wonder why things had stopped !

They say thay can't do anything with dyndns etc to get around it, (can you not retrieve the current i.p for a dyndns address ?) nor disable it permanently.

Is this going to affect anyone else's automatic uploads ?

Maybe time for a bit of self hosting now I've got a better upload speed on adsl2+

You could switch to Wimanx and get a static IP for free.

all very well but I got an adsl2+ upgrade for free from MT on an 18month contract

Surely if you do not turn off your router the ip address will not change???! (Good as long as no powercut etc... unless you have UPC)

You could switch to Wimanx and get a static IP for free.

all very well but I got an adsl2+ upgrade for free from MT on an 18month contract

Surely if you do not turn off your router the ip address will not change???! (Good as long as no powercut etc... unless you have UPC)

that's the unpredictable bit !

and don't call me Surely :lol:

On the web cam side ... is there not potentially an email solution to this ? For example it should be relatively possible to script or otherwise automate the sending of files via email depending on what OS you're running. And you can email files to various of the online album sites.

Your website could then embed the image from the 3rd party site.