Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Declan

Massive Overhaul Of Govt Depts Proposed By Tony Brown

The fag packet containing the original draft is yet to be found.

Juan

So who gets the Credit for this groundbreaking, Island saving initiative??

On paper 13-10. Braidwood and Houghton changed their minds at some point (without telling us) and the vote went as recorded 12-11 to the Government.

Not surprised at Braidwood. Be interesting to see if he gets back on COMIN now in a re-shuffle. Much better than going back to licking stamps. Or, indeed, bugger all.

Braidwood probably fancies a seat on the shelf.

I thought he had it. As VinnieK said above he's a figment of his constituents imagination. He's my MHK and I've not even heard him speak about anything since he left Home Affairs about 5 years ago. However he's clrearly comfortable supporting the mediocrity around him. The only time he pushes the envelope is when he's franking jiffy bags.

Press Release 18 February 2010

“This is not good parliamentary practice.”

“I’m Confused dot Com”

These are quotes from Eddie Lowey MLC at yesterdays sitting of Tynwald. The subject under discussion was the Report of the Council of Ministers on the Review of the Scope and Structure of Isle of Man Government.

Chief Minister, Tony Brown MHK, presented his report for approval by Tynwald. He then informed the Court that the report he was presenting was not the one that he wanted approved. Members were asked to vote on the report in its current form and, if they did, Tony Brown promised to bring an amendment later so that what actually was approved at the end of the day was the one he really wanted.

Steve Rodan MHK objected to this as a Point of Order with Peter Karran and Eddie Lowey agreeing with him. At this point the Chief Minister should have been asked to withdraw his motion and return in the March sitting with the corrected document. There then followed lengthy discussions/arguments between the President of Tynwald Noel Cringle, the Attorney General, Tony Brown, Steve Rodan, Peter Karran and Eddie Lowey. At this point Eddie Lowey seemed to echo the feelings of the House in general when he stated “I’m confused dot com.” He also stated that parliamentary rules were there for a purpose and warned of the dangers of not obeying these rules. Unfortunately this warning fell on deaf ears and it resulted in the Court of Tynwald appearing to be making up the rules as it went along.

Amendment after amendment followed, with much heated discussion over the legality or otherwise of some of them. Phil Gawne tried to come to the rescue with his amendment but needed assistance from Tony Brown, the President and the Attorney General with the wording.

There were no costings and no costing implications with the Report. Peter Karran’s amendment asking for the Report to be sent to the Scrutiny Committee to ensure that it was value for money did not get a seconder.

It is extremely sad that a Report of this importance was rushed into being and then rushed through the parliamentary process.

Juan Watterson’s amendment would have allowed time for the Report to be properly consulted and discussed. At one point it looked likely to succeed but when it came time for the vote it was after midnight and many seemed to have lost the will to stay awake never mind concentrate. Members were even asking for clarity on exactly what they were voting on. It was defeated by one vote.

Needless to say, the Chief Minister eventually got his way.

“ENDS”

Kate Beecroft Party Chairman

Tel No: 853352

Mobile: 201918

Email: kate.beecroft@liberalvannin.org

At one point it looked likely to succeed but when it came time for the vote it was after midnight and many seemed to have lost the will to stay awake never mind concentrate. Members were even asking for clarity on exactly what they were voting on. It was defeated by one vote.

This was mis-managed. They should have adjourned irrespective of the President's desire to complete a particular piece of business, espeially one, we are told, is so important. Although to be fair anyone of them could have called for an adjournment. I suppose it must have been like poker fever and they all thought they were all going to get their win.

There was a case once where the typically long vote for an MLC was eventually rushed through in a similar manner and was actually carried out against the Rules of Standing Orders. There was a similar confusion as to what was going on. That MLC became a Minister and had one heck of a lot of power. I wonder what the implications are if it can be shown they should not have been in the post in the first place?

But, like when the cows have got to be in for the milking or whatever, the politicians were herded to do their task asap and damn the consequences. (Guess who was Speaker of teh House of Keys at the time!)

Edited by Theo

We are the hollow men

We are the stuffed men

Leaning together

Headpiece filled with straw. Alas!

Our dried voices, when

We whisper together

Are quiet and meaningless

As wind in dry grass

Or rats' feet over broken glass

In our dry cellar

T. S. Eliot

“I’m Confused dot Com”

“ENDS”

I note you have posted yet another press release from the Liberal Vannin Party, I presume you are therefore one of Peter's cronies especially as you seem to post prior to press releases being on the LVP website.

On the basis that you are one of Peter's lackeys could I suggest rather than rushing to post your party's press releases on here you actually concentrate on getting them on and working on the LVP's website. It took approximately a week to post the press release on the RHA and even after all that time the link still does not work!

“I’m Confused dot Com”

“ENDS”

I note you have posted yet another press release from the Liberal Vannin Party, I presume you are therefore one of Peter's cronies especially as you seem to post prior to press releases being on the LVP website.

On the basis that you are one of Peter's lackeys could I suggest rather than rushing to post your party's press releases on here you actually concentrate on getting them on and working on the LVP's website. It took approximately a week to post the press release on the RHA and even after all that time the link still does not work!

One of Peter's lackeys, that gave me a laugh. I get a mail saying "please release immediately", I post it on a number of forum, what's your problem with that? I will post press releases when they are made, not against any rules so why not? The LVP website is updated frequently, if I happen to update this forum more regularly so what?

I have done the necessary and you. at least, have read it, job done.

If you would like to contact Kate Beecroft to mention the updating of the website her e-mail address is there for all to see, please feel free to use it at any time but as she has a business to run as well as a busy personal life do expect some delay getting back to you. happy to be of service sir/madam.

One of Peter's lackeys, that gave me a laugh. I get a mail saying "please release immediately", I post it on a number of forum, what's your problem with that? I will post press releases when they are made, not against any rules so why not? The LVP website is updated frequently, if I happen to update this forum more regularly so what?

If you would like to contact Kate Beecroft to mention the updating of the website her e-mail address is there for all to see, please feel free to use it at any time but as she has a business to run as well as a busy personal life do expect some delay getting back to you. happy to be of service sir/madam.

I do not want to divert this thread but I presumed that as you were posting LVP press releases prior to them being on the LVP website you had or have an official or semi official position in the party. I never stated or suggested that it was against the rules, what I did suggest was that ensuring the LVP website is up todate might be more important that posting them or forums or press releases. This is especially the case where the press release refers the reader to the website.

I do not mind what you update more frequently or who does it, however I would have thought it would have been in the interests of the LVP to ensure that its website is up to date. Presumably the website and the press releases are there to try and impress or tempt electorate, especially now many of us have little respect for Tony Brown. In my view having a website that is not up todate, or has missing links, especially when press releases have been issued directing you to it is not the way the electorate.

If you believe that my reading a press release is job done then I think you need to reconsider. Surely the point is that I read and I am influenced in a positive way. Reading and not being able to follow up on as stated I can in a press release to me is not even job half done as it actually gives a very poor impression. Equally so is suggesting that because your Party Chairman has a business to run as well as a busy personal life expect a delay if you contact her and expect a reply. I do wonder if your party Chairman is too busy to reply to members of the electorate whose support she would presumably be seeking come election time whether she is an appropriate person to be Party Chairman or to have stood as an MHK. Sorry I can not come to Tynwald today but I do have a business to run and a busy personal life, hopefully see you next sitting. PS please put the cheque in the post.

The latter is a bit tongue in cheek, but I am an individual who would like to see party politics work at least tried in the IoM but dispair at the half arsed way that the one party we have is trying to go about it. e.g it has a leader who has stated he does not want to be Chief Minister, in which case why is he the leader of a political party, and as far as I can see can not muster candidates to stand at every commissioners election

If a press release is written and emailed, the technology is there to have it displayed on a website in seconds with a few extra clicks. Use a blog or similar for the releases on the site and she/you could update it instantly or even from her/your phone. Being busy isn't an excuse.

If a press release is written and emailed, the technology is there to have it displayed on a website in seconds with a few extra clicks. Use a blog or similar for the releases on the site and she/you could update it instantly or even from her/your phone. Being busy isn't an excuse.

As I said I do not want to divert this thread and I do not have the website knowledge to agree or disagree with you. But to me it is an example of the pitiful state of poiltics in the IoM that somebody seeking my vote can not ensure there web site is up to date, does not seem overely concerned of the matter or that they have time to deal with such matters. This just not just apply to the LVP but if such a message is given out now it does not not give you much encouragement going forward.

I'm beginning to worry that democracy as a way of life in the western world is dead in the water, subverted by career politicians and civil servants achieving only their own personal objectives.

Trouble is, I can't think of a viable alternative.

A directly elected Chief Minister with a real mandate from the people?

But...our people, at least those who vote, are as populist as the politicians they elect. An elected CM would inevitably be Peter Karran. I don't bear any particular grudges agaisnt Peter, btw, but the idea of him being CM ("I was educated in't'huts) fills me with fear. If it wasn't Peter, no doubt Miss Muffet's dad would be next in line...aagh.

What a arrogant snobbish statment to make!

OK Peter Karran is not the most elequent of people in conversation but he's certainly no thicker than some of the arrogant twats we have in there at the moment and have had in the past!

I'd vote for PK simply because

1. I believe he is an honest man who would be prepared to fight hard in the best intersts of the IOM ,rather than kiss the asses of the UK establishment in the hope of a telegram from the queen and a little bauble on retirement.

2. He couldn,t fuck up and waste as much as the current lot if he tried

3. I,m from t'huts :)

Im with you on that one, I have always found PK to be honest and even if a bit slow speaking

you can understand what he is standing for.

He will stick up for the everyday person and help anyone he can.

My vote goes to him everytime.

:P

. but when it came time for the vote it was after midnight and many seemed to have lost the will to stay awake never mind concentrate. Members were even asking for clarity on exactly what they were voting on. It was defeated by one vote.

There is a saying:

"A conclusion is simply the place where you got tired of thinking"

and some more (from http://www.vegard.net/features/one-liners/):

"A day for firm decisions! Or is it?"

"A bad plan is better than no plan"

"According to my calculations the problem doesn’t exist."

Edited by Theo

Well keep your powder dry and don't change horse midstream for nothing is certain but death and taxes and stupid is as oh you get the idea etc, etc....