Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
jimbms

Mountain Road Closed

Not in the slightest - It's just that if people start off with a falsehood - in this case that road tax exists, then the whole of their argument is pointless. If I have a 'fetish' for anything, it's discussion based on fact, although I know that facts aren't always appreciated on here.

The main point of my post was not to argue whether or not road tax exists. I was merely stating that we are (in some way or another)paying to use the roads be it by means of road tax, vehicle tax etc. and that a reduction of these costs would be fair if the road(s) in question were to remain closed for any length of time.

But some people just can't help themselves.

Do you feel better now that you have butted in and bigged yourself up by displaying your unlimited knowledge in such interesting and complicated matters?

Get a life Trottel!

But why? remember vehicle duty is not there to pay for road maintainence, if it was horse riders, pedestrians and cyclist would have to pay as they also use the road.

Actually, I think it would be appropriate that cyclist's and horse riders etc. should pay for the privilege to use the roads!

Edit: Pedestrians cross the road, the other examples use the road!

Edited by Orange

But why? remember vehicle duty is not there to pay for road maintainence, if it was horse riders, pedestrians and cyclist would have to pay as they also use the road.

Actually, I think it would be appropriate that cyclist's and horse riders etc. should pay for the privilege to use the roads!

can worms opened :ph34r:

im sure slim will be along in a min :)

Ok you've done it now, Slim will now come round and give you a 3 hour earbashing on the merits of cycling and how they should be given priority in all circumstances even if the highway code says otherwise. :whistling:

Ok you've done it now, Slim will now come round and give you a 3 hour earbashing on the merits of cycling and how they should be given priority in all circumstances even if the highway code says otherwise. :whistling:

Read/heard it all before... :rolleyes: Everyone is entitled to an opinion! But seeing as it has been established that we are not paying for "road tax" but for the privilege to use the road (as Professor Doctor Road Tax Kevster has kindly pointed out) it seems to me that this is the only possible option.

I pay to use road X, cyclist's Y and Z are in the way holding me up by riding two abreast thus preventing me from using the road to it's full extent. Considering that I have paid for the use of this road should the non-paying Y and Z not get out of the way until those who have payed have passed by?

Sits back and waits...

Read/heard it all before... :rolleyes: Everyone is entitled to an opinion! But seeing as it has been established that we are not paying for "road tax" but for the privilege to use the road (as Professor Doctor Road Tax Kevster has kindly pointed out) it seems to me that this is the only possible option.

I pay to use road X, cyclist's Y and Z are in the way holding me up by riding two abreast thus preventing me from using the road to it's full extent. Considering that I have paid for the use of this road should the non-paying Y and Z not get out of the way until those who have payed have passed by?

Sits back and waits...

No

Sits back and waits...

The people with no children and no debt are supporting the people who claim child allowances and/or mortgage tax relief or who live in state subsidised housing programs. Or who use the state schools.

On the other hand it's the unborn children and grandchildren who are going to pay for the capital programs which will keep in work people who should be maybe looking further afield for the sake of their descendants.

It's complicated and we are all inter dependent. We can't all start blaming each other.

Most cyclists also pay road tax. And if they don't they certainly share the costs of road tax via the price of the stuff which they buy.

Be courteous to me and bide your time when I'm riding my bike, or my partner is on her horse, and I won't moan about your unnecessary child benefit, free education or mortgage tax relief.

Made it through to Douglas by 7.55. A good 50 minute drive.

Mountain Road clear but the streets are treacherous.

Pedestrians take caution.

Bowring Road, Ramsey was closed by the police today at around 8.00 am - like an ice rink - we had to abandon our cars and totter down the hill into town - saw three pedestrians fall - where oh where were the gritters? Why can't we cope with this?

because it was not forcast and they would have only got to work at 8 themselfs apart from the odd driver that was on standbye if any were

so quite understanable that there was none out

Did I hear from manx radio this morning that the gritters had been out since 3?

Bowring Road, Ramsey was closed by the police today at around 8.00 am - like an ice rink - we had to abandon our cars and totter down the hill into town - saw three pedestrians fall - where oh where were the gritters? Why can't we cope with this?

I was gingerly driving down there at 7.30am and some stupid woman decided to cross the road about 40 yds in front of my van, she fell over and I had absolutely no chance of stopping due to the ice, even at 5mph, I was saying 'get up for God's sake or you'll get run over!' - luckily for both of us she did, but I agree it is one of those places that should be gritted first in Ramsey

A ltlle bit more snow on Douglas Prom over night.

Lovely sunrise though.