Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
jimbms

Mountain Road Closed

Nothing on local news websites but seems no buses at the moment.

eta

Just announced on Radio - no buses, review around 9am

The Snow was pretty heavy this morning at about 4.30 and some unlucky f*cker crash outside the Railway pub (U/Mills).

Hope they are ok.

Edited by The Thriller

Well at least it gave me a chance to get the camera out

Edited by RC-Drift.com

what's all this about no buses yet again, don't they think anyone goes to work on a saturday ? yet will expect all the shops to be open as usual, they would complain if they couldn't go shopping in Marksies 'cos none of the staff could get to work !

They're wimps the lot of them !, and the police still putting out the 'tretcherous' message, (from the comfort of their nice warm station !) and if your journey isn't absolutely necessary, stay at home, it's just as well these conditions are rare on the Isle of Man

/rant

doesn't explain why buses don't turn up on time (or maybe they had gone more than 20 minutes early) twice in a week when there isn't even any snow !

you ring the bus phone number but you never get an apology or explanation, just that they will speak to the inspectors :angry:

I once heard (a long time ago) the boss of the bus company state "you get the bust service you deserve", but I don't know how to take that, whether he meant it as a compliment to the service he was supplying or a sideswipe at the travelling public, but the underlying theme hasn't changed !

Edited by Tempus Fugit

I drove from Port St Mary to Ramsey via Douglas at about 7.15 this morning.

NOTHING gritted. It starts snowing.... get the f**king gritters out. I know its Saturday and heaven forbid that a DOT worker would use any initative and go in early

They just opt for the easy option....'ROAD CLOSED'.

It was forecast... watch the weather.

I was on the mountain when they closed it - and also announced the buses were not running until 11am.

Yep, that trecherous half inch of snow would take a good 20 minutes to clear. Best close the road then.

Still closed at 2pm.

Gets on my tits some days.

Rant over

I drove from Port St Mary to Ramsey via Douglas at about 7.15 this morning.

NOTHING gritted. It starts snowing.... get the f**king gritters out. I know its Saturday and heaven forbid that a DOT worker would use any initative and go in early

They just opt for the easy option....'ROAD CLOSED'.

It was forecast... watch the weather.

I was on the mountain when they closed it - and also announced the buses were not running until 11am.

Yep, that trecherous half inch of snow would take a good 20 minutes to clear. Best close the road then.

Still closed at 2pm.

Gets on my tits some days.

Rant over

Gritters had been out all night

Snow plough and gritter have been busy this morning, were on the bungalow cams, looks like the road may be open later if they get it cleared all the way to the Creg

edit: still working between Bungalow and Brandywell

(all they need then is to clear the parking area at the bungalow and make room for burger vans and you've got a snow park for a couple of days, maybe !)

Edited by Tempus Fugit

Mountain Roadclosed again this morning

Went over it last night at around 9pm. Walls of snow between 4-5 feet high either side of the Verandah. Well weird driving through it!

Temp went down to -1 and it was starting to sleet a little up there, so I wondered if it was going to snow again......

With the high walls of snow at the side of the road, once they start to melt, then some are going to fall into the road with will cause a few problems with people swerving to avoid them!