Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Bobs

Mlc Election

Declan under no circumstances would I stand

I am semi retired, my partner has been seriously ill, we are taking it slowly and peacefully. I spent 30 years of 60 hour weeks and available to clients all day and night. Why would I or any sane person want to be on call to 80,000 24/7 365/365£

I am looking to spend more time away doing what I want to do

I was approached once by Peter Karran, but in view of my posts, which are sensible, sincere and not in the least extraordinary, and the way you are trying to portray them, I don't suppose he will ask me again. I did stand for the Keys in a 1982 bye election and romped in second, and thank my lucky stars I did not win

In the LV health plan topic please set out what you want from health care in the UK or further afield and state is the LV proposal enough in scope, effect, admin and exclusion or do you and we need more?

If they're going for local celebs then I think Samantha Barks and Beckii Cruel should be put forward for consideration too!

I'm all for this.

At the start of each Tynwald meeting on Tynwald Day, Sam could do a song and dance, Beckii a dancie thing (actually she is too young yet to be an MLC) Geoff Corkish and Noel Cringle and Bash the Bishop could do a few songs too (I think they fancied themselves to be a hit like those singing priests from Ireland, that said they do have good voices)

And Kevin Woodford could rustle up a quick barbie.

I am sure that the world would see us in a far better light and we would get all the publicity that the Island seems to crave.

Not to forget other members of Tynwald, I am sure that the rest of them could be put to good alternative use in their various areas of expertise too. They should really put themselves to good use on the Tynwald fairground and make some money off the punters. For example, I believe Brenda Cannell once did a mean haircut and we could give her one of the tents on the fairground. The speaker, being a pharmacist type, could have a white suit and top hat and sell bottles of magic elixir like they do in the Westerns.

Cret could have a stall selling tat and that (it's actually good stuff, I am often in the shop).

I'm not really sure what the rest could do but I am sure they would have more fun on the fairground putting their former skills to use rather than sitting like waxworks on the hill.

The point being, we desperately need to make up the cash for the coffers and I am sure that such a business plan approach to Tynwald Day would go down well.

Declan under no circumstances would I stand

I can understand perfectly the reasons why you wouldn't wish to stand. I do think however that you are exactly the sort of man who should be in public office. You have the experience, integrity and are your own man when it comes down to considering the facts, and I am sure the Ministerial system would not co-opt you into doing things you knew were not in the best interests of the electorate for the sake of personal preferment. Also I know that you believe it is in the best interests of democracy to have Government policies and proposed legislation properly scrutinised before they are implemented. The existing system has failed to do that.

Sam could do a song and dance, Beckii a dancie thing (actually she is too young yet to be an MLC)

Sam is too, i'm sure you have to be 21 to stand for MLC. it would certainly liven the old boys club up though

Sam could do a song and dance, Beckii a dancie thing (actually she is too young yet to be an MLC)

Sam is too, i'm sure you have to be 21 to stand for MLC. it would certainly liven the old boys club up though

It may require a couple of defibrulators to be placed in the chamber though.

It may require a couple of defibrulators to be placed in the chamber though.

What was that you were saying about spellcheckers?

I have never said my spelling was perfect, in fact quite the opposite, plus the fact I couldn't be arsed.

I'd prefer to see voters/taxpayers have some say in who gets into Legco.

The ability to assemble an acceptable meal from a carrier bag of assorted food items isn't really a logical precursor to 'high office'

The ability to assemble an acceptable meal from a carrier bag of assorted food items isn't really a logical precursor to 'high office'

Ah , well. I don't often disagree with you BM, but on this occasion I think you are wrong.

When we are all on the equivalent of wartime rations due to no boat/planes/jobs/ income. As we sit in poverty, wondering how we got into such a mess, then Mr. Woodfords talents should come in very handy indeed....good job the fields are full of rabbits,only there is little choice when most things are freighted over.

Even though the election is a secret ballot, we do have a say in who is elected in that we can contact our MHKs and ask them who they are going to vote for.

We should question if they are going to be worth the cost of at least £1000 per week, although to be fair we don't have that luxury when we have little say in employing all the legion of highly paid Civil Servants.

If they're going for local celebs then I think Samantha Barks and Beckii Cruel should be put forward for consideration too!

I'm all for this.

At the start of each Tynwald meeting on Tynwald Day, Sam could do a song and dance, Beckii a dancie thing (actually she is too young yet to be an MLC) Geoff Corkish and Noel Cringle and Bash the Bishop could do a few songs too (I think they fancied themselves to be a hit like those singing priests from Ireland, that said they do have good voices)

And Kevin Woodford could rustle up a quick barbie.

I am sure that the world would see us in a far better light and we would get all the publicity that the Island seems to crave.

Not to forget other members of Tynwald, I am sure that the rest of them could be put to good alternative use in their various areas of expertise too. They should really put themselves to good use on the Tynwald fairground and make some money off the punters. For example, I believe Brenda Cannell once did a mean haircut and we could give her one of the tents on the fairground. The speaker, being a pharmacist type, could have a white suit and top hat and sell bottles of magic elixir like they do in the Westerns.

Cret could have a stall selling tat and that (it's actually good stuff, I am often in the shop).

I'm not really sure what the rest could do but I am sure they would have more fun on the fairground putting their former skills to use rather than sitting like waxworks on the hill.

The point being, we desperately need to make up the cash for the coffers and I am sure that such a business plan approach to Tynwald Day would go down well.

Perhaps they could get Kieran do do his duck impression "wark wark wark" :D

Even though the election is a secret ballot, we do have a say in who is elected in that we can contact our MHKs and ask them who they are going to vote for.

We should question if they are going to be worth the cost of at least £1000 per week, although to be fair we don't have that luxury when we have little say in employing all the legion of highly paid Civil Servants.

Or at least we could ask them who has put their name forward. it would be nice to know.

They can put themselves forward but they need supporters to be included in the lottery ballot

At least he has the ability to do it without spending a fortune on external consultants before spending a fortune to create a half finished egg and chips.

Yes and we'll magically know if they're telling the truth or not. The public has no say in the election of MLCs, not through MHKs or any other way.