Parish Walk 2010

Hi,

Every year the Parish Walk comes around and I think I really should try that - well this year a reminder went off on my mobile phone on New Years Day to remind me to register so I did!

I have never done anything competative in my life, never been remotely sporty and I am nearer 50 then 40 so this is a big thing for me! Hubby and I do a bit of walking tho.

What I would like if anyone can help is guidance on how much I should be walking each week so when the walk comes round I can get to Peel at least, and I can't back out now because I have sponsors already! I intend to walk a few evenings and do a bigger walk at the weekends.

Thanks in advance! :)

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I would like if anyone can help is guidance on how much I should be walking each week so when the walk comes round I can get to Peel at least, and I can't back out now because I have sponsors already! I intend to walk a few evenings and do a bigger walk at the weekends.

Plan to extend your training walks by a mile or two every couple of weeks. Watch out for adding too much distance too soon, you want to avoid injury. I'd say if you're aiming for peel, you want to be able to comfortably walk 15 miles or so in training, including some hills.

Buy some 1000 mile socks, they're ace for avoiding blisters!

Couldn't agree with this more! i get blisters so easily these are a lifesaver. They're about £8 a pair from intersport but definately worth it

Also get the trainers you'll be wearing on the day as soon as possible, so that your feet have time to get used to them

I would recommend that you have more than one pair of trainers, maybe 3 pairs and train in all 3 pairs, pick out the most comfy pairs and keep them to one side for the actual event, then during the day if you need too you can change shoes if you feet overheat, possibly have a pair slightly larger as our feet will swell a fair bit,

Under no circumstance use 1000 mile socks.

Go to parishwalk.com - hit "Archives" - go into 2003 site - hit the left hand tag named "Blisters"

That's what 1000 Mile Socks do. They are lethal over distance.

Get socks from a firm called "Running Bear"

Or look at the first post on this blog, 2nd January: http://dudley-thelongestday.blogspot.com/2010_01_01_archive.html

mmmmmm conflicting advice re the socks eh??!! Maybe I should try both and see which I am happiest with.

Thanks for the advice tho, but what about other stuff....ie what to take to eat while walking? Can you take painkillers to help with the pain later on, does it help to rub any sort of cream in the legs, should I shave my legs and arms so I go faster??!! Only joking on the last question....!!!!! :lol:

But really, any tips that anyone has I (and Mr Foxie) will be gratefully recieved! :):)

Arrange a few days off work afterwards, make sure you've stocked up on food the day before the race, make sure the hot water is on for when you get back (and try not to fall asleep in the bath afterwards), ensure your bed is made up with nice fresh cotton sheets, and buy a comfy set of slippers beforehand for when your legs and feet start healing on Monday.

mmmmmm conflicting advice re the socks eh??!! Maybe I should try both and see which I am happiest with.

Thanks for the advice tho, but what about other stuff....ie what to take to eat while walking? Can you take painkillers to help with the pain later on, does it help to rub any sort of cream in the legs, should I shave my legs and arms so I go faster??!! Only joking on the last question....!!!!! :lol:

But really, any tips that anyone has I (and Mr Foxie) will be gratefully recieved! :):)

Mmmm - everyone has their own preferences - I usually have a light breakfast before the start, don't take food with me, plenty of fruit available as you're walking. I have taken painkillers with me just in case but never had to use them.

Yeah, what works for some doesn't for others, so buy your gear well in advance and use it for training. Then you'll know what works for you. Well fitting shoes are more important than socks anyway.

Drink plenty, use the stations and carry a bottle too. Eatings only really necessary for walks over a couple of hours and on the day your support car will have your grub, you don't want to be carrying much at all.

Don't get caught up with a group at the start that walk faster than you are comfortable with.

Buy your trainers at least 1/2 size bigger than you usually wear. Your feet will swell, and you will possibly lose toe nails. My trainers are 1.5 sizes bigger than my normal shoe size.

The only way of finding out what you are comfortable with is to put in the miles & road test them all.

Build your mileage up slowly towards a peak at the end of May. Taper your mileage off at least a week before.

More than anything - Enjoy!

what to take to eat while walking?

i would say take something savoury with you, particularly if you're going down the energy drink road. lots of fruit is available on the route but that combined with sugary drinks will make you feel a bit sicky after a while. also, i'd also recommend staying away from fizzy drinks. like others have suggested, experimenting is the best way to find out what's best for you

Why dont you try out the Sara Killey Memorial Walk? This walk takes place on the 25th of April and is great for outlining how well you are coping with the walking.

The walk is 30 miles long and starts at Peel Fire Station, ending at Ramsey Fire Station. You could use the walk as training for the Parish, and any problems you have on this walk, you could iron out ready for the parish! (And you don't have to finish it either!)

Check out www.iomfire.com then click on Saras Walk.