Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
johnquayleiom

Price Increase Of Manx Food

HOward Quayle has suggested the price of locally produced food will go up thanks to reduction of grants etc. Not sure if now was the best time to announce that, and in reality what influence does he have over the pricing of food and will anybody actually put the price up?

I think this could easily drive people away from Manx produce.

HOward Quayle has suggested the price of locally produced food will go up thanks to reduction of grants etc. Not sure if now was the best time to announce that, and in reality what influence does he have over the pricing of food and will anybody actually put the price up?

If (when) the red meat derogation ends, we will all be able to buy NZ lamb from Tesco at half the price of local stuff. A few fencing grants from DAFF won't change that.

I used to worry about all this stuff, and always tried to buy local, long before the world went completely t*ts up.

Then i discovered that although the Govvernment thinks that WE should all buy local, it does its own shopping wherever it gets the best deal - people, products and services, whatever, it all comes from across.

Now I make every effort to do the same. I would never buy anything locally if I can find it on the internet.

I think we should all do the same.

I can't think of another way of attracting their attention and making them understand they can't go on behaving like two-faced shysters.

This lot are so clearly concerned with nothing but their own welfare, anyone would think they're politicians.

And they're not.

Not even close.

Just shopkeepers with an extra wage coming in...

it doesn't matter what local produce costs if no one is buying it cos it's too expensive!

Farmers are always ready to moan.

They will have to compete and add value to their products.

I used to worry about all this stuff, and always tried to buy local, long before the world went completely t*ts up.

Then i discovered that although the Government thinks that WE should all buy local, it does its own shopping wherever it gets the best deal - people, products and services, whatever, it all comes from across.

Now I make every effort to do the same. I would never buy anything locally if I can find it on the internet.

I think we should all do the same.

I can't think of another way of attracting their attention and making them understand they can't go on behaving like two-faced shysters.

This lot are so clearly concerned with nothing but their own welfare, anyone would think they're politicians.

And they're not.

Not even close.

Just shopkeepers with an extra wage coming in...

Never thought of it like that, but you're BANG on the nail there

I think its pretty clear that price is the most important thing in all of this, especially nowadays, so whoever does do price setting etc really does need to be careful or we'll all be buying imports.

I particularly like this grant scheme.

Cartridges for Heads — To assist farmers control birds that are destructive to crops, cartridges could be exchanged for birds' heads.

The solution across in the evil empire was that farmers would allow rough shooters access in return for pest control. The shooters may or may not also pay for the access.

No need for a government to be involved in the first place.

edit to add

And certainly no need for taxpayers money to be spent.

Edited by - Paul -

has anyone told howard he is a genius, i mean to predict manx food prices rising is truly of nostradamus proportoins.

when have they EVER done any different.

Then i discovered that although the Govvernment thinks that WE should all buy local, it does its own shopping wherever it gets the best deal - people, products and services, whatever, it all comes from across.

Same here.

Cartridges for Heads — To assist farmers control birds that are destructive to crops, cartridges could be exchanged for birds' heads.

The solution across in the evil empire was that farmers would allow rough shooters access in return for pest control. The shooters may or may not also pay for the access.

edit to add

All that sort of stuff used to go on here maybe it still does? Farmers used to give shooters cartridges for the Heads off Greybacks as they had a nasty habit of attacking newborn lambs by pecking at the eyes!

But by far the best grant scheme was the one offered by DAFF

Wherebye they Paid the "Hunters" 50p per Rabbit tail!

They could not believe the response they recieved!

Thousands upon thousands of Tails were handed in and Bounty duly paid !

It turned out that certain unscrupulous individuals, were pulling the stuffing out of "Teddy Bears" and passing it off as a Rabbit tail!

Strange but true :P

Edited by homarus

edit to add

All that sort of stuff used to go on here maybe it still does? Farmers used to give shooters cartridges for the Heads off Greybacks as they had a nasty habit of attacking newborn lambs by pecking at the eyes!

But by far the best grant scheme was the one offered by DAFF

Wherebye they Paid the "Hunters" 50p per Rabbit tail!

They could not believe the response they recieved!

Thousands upon thousands of Tails were handed in and Bounty duly paid !

It turned out that certain unscrupulous individuals, were pulling the stuffing out of "Teddy Bears" and passing it off as a Rabbit tail!

Strange but true :P

Not that you would do anything like that

I've never so much as laid a hand on a " teddy bear"!

I've never so much as laid a hand on a " teddy bear"!

I take it you weren't one of the really smart lads who were cutting up rabbit pelts into tail-like bits and weighing them in to DAFF then ?

Fraid not! It was all a bit downmarket for me at the time!

However I did have a mate who was seeing one of the girls from the office of DAFF and submitted a good few hundred "Ghost Tails" paid out regular as clockwork :)