Chinahand's Random Stuff

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's divisive, that's what it is. The question of racism now seems to be more about the division between us rather than the inclusivity of us. It worries me.  

The very first thought in my mind when I saw that picture was obesity. Whatever colour you are, there are few excuses for that.

Don’t think it’s racist to post the image, but I’d argue that the topic that they’re talking about is.  Any phrase that starts “All white people are...” is by definition stereotyping according to skin

Posted Images

China i recently had an idea about improving the square ft/mt surveying method, using a phone/camera.

Obviously the standard method takes one square, with its recorded results, and either estimates an area from that square or, combines it with others to give an average estimation of an areas population.

So, i thought it would be great if we could set up a rig with multiple, moving cameras, each taking enough pics to cover a much broader area, and ghen simply use the pics to zoom in and see whatbwas there when they were taken.

Thus giving us a more accurate estimation for the area. Or is that just wishful thinking, or too complicated? 

What do you think please x

• 3 weeks later...

Coffee shop ramblings. 

We are all as alone as we are.  For some that does mean truly alone, sans friends, sans family, sans trust. Such tragedies are thankfully rare. The rest of us exist somewhere in a spectrum of mutual interactions and support with most of us in a zone which contains both times where we feel the need for more human contact and periods where peace and some solitude are sorely desired. 

Our sociability and the stories woven around us, and by us, about who we are and what we can become have as much a part in making us what we are as any innate abilities awaiting discovery as we grow. 

How many abilities do we have undiscovered, unable to be nurtured out of us by the happenstance of our existence. How many have been stillborn and decayed as the moment passes for them to bloom. What others could Phoenix like emerge if some change rekindled embers long thought cold. 

Being content with our lot; accepting how the dice has fallen; knowing our place - all can be good advice and do enjoy what learning, and fun, can be gained from those around you. But also maybe there is a different story to be told and hearing some other voices could take you somewhere you had never imagined and to meet and learn from a different crowd. 

Journey on. But also hold close those who have nurtured you; whose stories have encouraged you; whose trust in you even when you faltered enabled you to be worthy of their trust. 

We are rarely alone but hold within and around us the multitude who make us what we are. 

Carry them with you but also welcome change. It is inevitable. Meet, touch, be touched by others, and ramble on. It is all we can do. 

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

Saw this and was intrigued by it:

2019-05-27-1480pray.png

I'm not quite sure what to think.  Firstly I don't really know who Mr Rogers is ... I suppose it would be like "praying" to Geoffrey off Rainbow; odd.  Secondly, I don't tend to verbalise my thoughts in any way which is like a prayer.  I see a separation between defining "my thoughts in words" and being reminded of "my relationship to the larger universe outside myself".

I get great pleasure from nature and the wider world around me - especially the night skies and the quiet sound of a woodland or a coast; and I think quite a lot about my role in society, but there is no sense of prayer in either of these two activities.

I suspect there is something very American in this; a god soaked country where everyone is expected to be churched and so where people without a theory of the supernatural are still influenced by the folk memory of prayers at the end of the bed.

I've mentioned Elizabeth Anderson quite a few times before on MF.

Her essay "If God is Dead, Is Everything Permitted?" is quite brilliant.  She talks about morality being reciprocal claim making:

How ... can I answer the moralistic challenge to atheism, that without God moral rules lack any authority? I say: the authority of moral rules lies not with God, but with each of us. We each have moral authority with respect to one another. This authority is, of course, not absolute. No one has the authority to order anyone else to blind obedience. Rather, each of us has the authority to make claims on others, to call upon people to heed our interests and concerns. Whenever we lodge a complaint, or otherwise lay a claim on others' attention and conduct, we presuppose our own authority to give others reasons for action that are not dependent on appealing to the desires and preferences they already have. But whatever grounds we have for assuming our own authority to make claims is equally well possessed by anyone who we expect to heed our own claims. For, in addressing others as people to whom our claims are justified, we acknowledge them as judges of claims, and hence as moral authorities. Moral rules spring from our practices of reciprocal claim making, in which we work out together the kinds of considerations that count as reasons that all of us must heed, and thereby devise rules for living together peacefully and cooperatively, on a basis of mutual accountability.

I don't pray - but I do have a sense of preparing a conversation to a community to try to work out how to "give others reasons for action" and how we can "work out together the kinds of considerations that count as reasons that all of us must heed".

These private attempts at verbalisation aren't to any Geoffrey or any sense of a personality, but there is a sense of a community being willing to listen and respond - one without a supernatural, one aware of the fallibility and bias, but one still trying to find a right path in a complicated world.

Is that close to what the cartoon is characterising?  Maybe.

Had to do a post lunch drive to a subcontractor and had the Radio on.

I enjoy radio plays every now and then and this one is excellent:

Drink, jealousies, families, careers and old friends meeting up again ... and the choices we make, don't make, and can't make.

Click do.

18 hours ago, Chinahand said:

Had to do a post lunch drive to a subcontractor and had the Radio on.

I enjoy radio plays every now and then and this one is excellent:

Drink, jealousies, families, careers and old friends meeting up again ... and the choices we make, don't make, and can't make.

Click do.

I’ve been known to sit outside the house for 10 minutes listening to the end of some random radio 4 play that I got into on a drive home. R4 for me is a sort of background noise, but occasionally something interesting grabs the attention. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I'm a bit surprised there isn't a topic on this, but I will say the death of Emiliano Sala is a tragedy turning into a farce.  Air taxis have always had a dodgy element, but boy is it sad that Sala ended up trusting Mr Ibbotson.

The AAIB report found Mr Ibbotson, 59, of Crowle in North Lincolnshire, was not qualified to fly at night and was inexperienced at using the plane's instruments, rather than flying by sight.

His rating for that type of aircraft had expired in November 2018, invalidating his licence for flying that plane.

"Significant evidence" was found that Mr Ibbotson had been expecting to be paid for the flight, despite not being licensed to carry passengers.

The investigation concluded that "neither the plane nor the pilot had the required licences or permissions to operate commercially".