Manx Meat

manxbutcher

As an old hand in the Islands meat business I am becomming concerned by the amount of meat leaving the Island. I saw a topic on here a few weeks ago about exports and I am genuinely concerned.

As a local butcher I buy local produce, which I have a level of quality I insist on and generally get. I have heard the meat plant is now suffering due to lack of supply and may not be able to supply me with all my requirements, this is due to a large amount of stock being exported off Island.

As a butcher of the old school I am familiar with all steps, from farm to plate and it upsets me that these animals are having to travel on a boat / wagon for a long time to go and be slaughtered. As I say, from an old school point of view, this doesnt sit well with me as I believe in respecting the animal as much as possible until its last moments. Sounds like a contradiction but trust me it isnt. Sticking it onto a wagon and boat (despite all legal guidelines) must be stressful for any animal. On the island animals wont be on wagons for much more than 1 hour then they get delivered to the meat plant and are allowed to rest before slaughter.

I understand farmers are looking for better prices in the UK, and I cant fault them for that.

I am just wondering what people think about this? It also worries me about the future of the meat plant as througput must be down, so Viability must be questioned, and if thats the case, I can no longer call myself a local butcher if I have to sell imported meat.

Manxbutcher, if it is true that the supply of meat to local butchers is being compromised due to the export of livestock, then once again it would seem that we have certain parties on the Island who, on the one hand, urge the support of local business but on the other actively undermine it. See also:

http://www.ilovemanx.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=33&Itemid=93

In this particular case perhaps derogation, giving you the ability to source meat eleswhere, would be a good thing. Would it really affect your status as a local butcher? You would after all still be preparing the meat for sale, locally, whilst still having the ability to supply Island-farmed meat - should the market for that be sustained and assuming that the farmers here wish to supply it rather than making a quick buck elsewhere.

farmers are looking for better prices in the UK,

Yes they can get better prices across and meat is still far cheaper across than it is here.

There's something very flawed about that.

Cabbyl:

Bull beef is ok, so long as it isnt overage - think its a bit like humans - once we get to a certain age we get more muscular and hormonal etc which will impact taste and texture. Butchers can specify what they wish to take so its important farmers get their young bulls up to standard before they mature.

Graculus:

I agree with you that I could bring meat in, and I believe some butchers have already been in touch with government to get a licence to bring in lamb as te appear to be shortages. I would consider doing so but as I say I like local - i enjoy the banter with the boys at the meat plant and dont want to put them out of work, but if they cant supply enough i may have to bring in some. I do like the fact that the meat i sell comes from the island, not because of the nonsense from thegreen lobby, food miles traceability etc, but because i like it here and i have many friends who are manx farmers.

Plus its very easy to ring the meat plant and they deliver, rather than me having to organise transport on the boat etc.

Funny thing you should say about possable lack of supply.

start of the week farmer rings the plant up and says he has 50 cattle ready to go can they take them,

he wasent expecting to get the whole 50 gone in that week but maybe over the 2 weeks.

they turned round and said to him we will take 5 a week :unsure:.

Now if he says ok thats fine by the time the 3 week is out 35 cattle will have gone over weight and he would lose 300-500 per beast.

now do the maths on the cost he would lose if he kept them on the island.

guess where they went, yep on the wagon to the uk this morning he diden have much choice as the loss of cash if he waited just cant be done

Is there also an argument that exporting is better for Isle of Man 'PLC' as it is in effect generating new wealth into the economy, rather then simply re-circulating it?

Thats a good point that shipment of cattle is uk cash that is now in the island

As an old hand in the Islands meat business I am becomming concerned by the amount of meat leaving the Island. I saw a topic on here a few weeks ago about exports and I am genuinely concerned.

As a local butcher I buy local produce, which I have a level of quality I insist on and generally get. I have heard the meat plant is now suffering due to lack of supply and may not be able to supply me with all my requirements, this is due to a large amount of stock being exported off Island.

As a butcher of the old school I am familiar with all steps, from farm to plate and it upsets me that these animals are having to travel on a boat / wagon for a long time to go and be slaughtered. As I say, from an old school point of view, this doesnt sit well with me as I believe in respecting the animal as much as possible until its last moments. Sounds like a contradiction but trust me it isnt. Sticking it onto a wagon and boat (despite all legal guidelines) must be stressful for any animal. On the island animals wont be on wagons for much more than 1 hour then they get delivered to the meat plant and are allowed to rest before slaughter.

I understand farmers are looking for better prices in the UK, and I cant fault them for that.

I am just wondering what people think about this? It also worries me about the future of the meat plant as througput must be down, so Viability must be questioned, and if thats the case, I can no longer call myself a local butcher if I have to sell imported meat.

vast majority of meat that goes through the abatoir is exported, only a fraction stays on the island anyways, so for farmers to export live and make more money seems a fair deal, why line someone else pockets when they can line thier own?

The fatstock buy from the farmers for next to nothing and sell to butchers for a nice proffit.

Butchers buy meat at a price per kilo and charge the same amount per pound anyhow, thats one hell of a profit margin right there.

So the only ones losing out seem to be the farmers and now they export live and make decent money, good for them hopefully that will at least keep them farming and not having to close or turn to arable farming.

So if the farmers etc are making more money by exporting and the demand is such that it can take nearly all the quota they produce, then wouldn't it make sense to have a few more livestock so enough could be produced for the home market and thus increase profit a little more.