Developing A Home

DjDan

A total wildshot really, and yes I know the best thing to do is to call appropriate tradesmen, but I thought I'd run this by the members here to see if anyone had a general idea of costs on the following:

1) Putting in a bathroom window. The bathroom wall is the side of the house, and bathroom has no window. Firstly, I wonder if planning permission is required (i assume so), secondly on an estimate of costs for something like that? I'm meaning the building work on drilling out the required space etc (rather than the putting in of a window which would depend on type of upvc etc).

2) Garden is currently stones etc just scattered - an awful mess really. Intention would be to level everything out, remove all stone work etc and put in a lawn.

I was just curious is any persons here had done anything similar to the above - or is in the business of doing so, and could give me an idea of costs? Just a very general estimate. I'm planning out some things, and wanted to know if my costs were looking at £100's or £1000's etc.

The above is not for my house btw. :)

Thanks

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A suggestion

If the exact window size is not critical, you might like to try and get hold of one that's been made but not actually used due to being the wrong size etc.

You will need planning permission for an extra window, so you will need to factor in costs of having full plans drawn up, probably £100 or so. A second hand window (as above) would be peanuts, but probably £200 - £300 for a new one, depending on style / size. For the work, which is what, taking out some bricks, putting in a lintel and making good, probably only a days work, so a couple of hundred plus materials.

The garden work depends on size obviously, but you need to factor in at least £100 a day for each fella you have working, so a couple of guys, for two or three days, plus mini digger etc is going to set you back the best part of a Grand, plus the turf and laying another couple of hundred quid.

Alternatively, hire a digger for about £70 quid a day and DIY, it's the best fun a grown up man can have! It's like having the best toy for christmas.

So the lot for under £2k. (ish)

Brilliant.. that info is a great help. Not to 'question' you haha, but just wondered how you estimated the amounts? - have you any experience etc.

Another point i was just thinking, does anyone know what to do about [upstairs] floorboards that creak?? As in, I assume there is a way to strengthen them etc? If anyone knows, is this a costly thing to do?

Another point i was just thinking, does anyone know what to do about [upstairs] floorboards that creak?? As in, I assume there is a way to strengthen them etc? If anyone knows, is this a costly thing to do?

That can often be solved simply by screwing down (not nailing) the specific boards far more securely.

Was just reading about that. Seems like I'd have to pull up all the carpets then... dang. :)

The 'squeak' is often the wood moving against the nail - so best to take them out too while your at screwing down the boards - and use the holes as the basis of where to screw the boards down.

Brilliant.. that info is a great help. Not to 'question' you haha, but just wondered how you estimated the amounts? - have you any experience etc.

Only the experience of having work done and seeing a few quotes here and there. Make sure you get a few quotes and spend a bit of time in the planning, make sure you aint getting ripped off. Should be a couple of nice sized jobs for a one or two man band.

AT is spot on with the floorboards. But also think about inuslation etc, whilst you have the carpets / floorbards up. I'm kicking myself that I hadn't planned my DIY a bit better and when I had the chance stuck a layer of insulation under the floorboards prior to having the new carpets fitted.

I'll still get round to it, but it would have been less hassle to do it as I went along.........

You will need planning permission for an extra window, so you will need to factor in costs of having full plans drawn up, probably £100 or so. (ish)

I doubt very much whether you will get plans drawn up for £100.00, £500.00 would be nearer the mark. You would get about an hour and half's work off an architectural technician for around £100.00. Only use someone who has professional indemnity insurance.

Depending on the house construction it isn't too difficult a job. If its above ground floor level, you will need scaffolding, here the expensive is the cost of putting it up and taking down the scaffolding not the time it is up. You would expect to pay around £300-500.00 for that, it may be possible to work off a tower scaffold from somewhere like Ace Hire but it may not be suitable for your site.

Making the opening is a straightforward job in brickwork, cut the top brickwork out pop in the lintols and cut the rest of the brickwork out, form a DP round the opening pop in the window, secure and seal, patch up finishes. Depending on whether your exterior finish is facebrick or render will determine the type of lintol is required and brickwork will require a more carefull finish. If you house is constructed out of stone, then it becomes a messier job.

Don't do what others have said and use any old window and create an opening to suite. Have a window made that matches the other windows in your house and which is sized appropriately for the bathroom.