Spam messages. Please stop reporting messages from Orange 15, Ivsa and Pupyh. They’ve been banned. ×

My 15 month old home computer has started to fizz and smell, like its about to blow up, manx telecom have informed me that this could be to do with a MEA power surge down the line which has more than likely fried all the leads, sockets etc. Now i'm pretty sure i paid extra for something that would prevent this happening when i bought the computer. Has anyone else had anything like this happen to them before?? And any clues as to who the blame lies with?!? any help or info would be great!! thanks!

Now i'm pretty sure i paid extra for something that would prevent this happening when i bought the computer.

If you have a surge protector, it's pretty much guaranteed to be a seperate device that sits between your PC and the plug in the wall. If you don't have one, well, I think you're pretty stuffed if it's definitely down to a power surge. You could try your house insurance?

How do you know it's not just something like your PSU that has simply gone faulty?