Driving Tests (Practical)

DjDan

Out of interest what car did he sit the test in ? A few things you are saying do not ring quite true with how the examiners conduct a test and pass on results and comments to the test candidates.Not saying your lying but they do have a set way of handling the test and i would be interested to know how they deviated from this.remember most people who fail will never give an unbiased report or opinion on the result. Many people will say oh i just forgot to check a mirror or all i did was shift the car in the space etc etc.These thing may seem very minor too you but it all depends on the circumstances that the minor faults occoured under.Isnt it strange the amoount of times people on the forums bemoan the standard of driving on the island yet criticise the test centre for doing there job and failing people who do not meet the required standards!

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Driving Instructors car.

It shouldn't ring true with how the examiners conduct a test... because they shouldn't be conducting tests like this. However, the reasons given in this thread have been reasons for failures. As I say, I passed first time - but in my test, the examiner said the tyres skid a little when i did my emergency stop. He just asked me 'what should i have done?' and i told him. He passed me. No doubt if I had done that today, I would have failed.

Seems to me like they want to fail you now. I've heard many stupid reasons for failing friends in recent years. I count myself lucky... but an 'expert' when it comes to gloating to my mates who fail! ;)

I can see it all now...

Instructor: "I want you to set off now, and when I hit my book on the dashboard, I want you to do an emergency stop"

Happy Clappy: "OK"

(Instructor's head reels back as car accelerates to 38MPH in 0.2 seconds)

Instructor: "Jebus!"

Happy Clappy: "Hoooooooray!" (Claps hands)

Instructor: "Ahhh...both hands off the wheel - that's a fail"

Driving Tests are cinducted under regulations set by the Road Traffic Act 1985. I haven't seen the regulations however the Act says

"(3) The Department shall have the power to determine on appeal by the applicant whether the test was properly conducted in accordance with the regulations, and if it appears to the Department that the test was not so conducted the Department may order that the applicant shall be eligible to submit himself to another test before the expiration of the period prescribed for the purposes of sub-paragraph (2)© and may order that any fee payable by the applicant in respect of the test shall not be paid or, if it has been paid, shall be repaid."

I suggest your mate gets himself to the Tynwald Library ASAP and obtains a copy of The Driving Licences and Tests Regulations 2007. He can then examine the legal position and see if he has any grounds to appeal to the Department.

Bearing in mind however that the best solution would be a retest at no extra cost he may like to consider would it be worth it or should he just apply again and drive properly this time! :D

I can see it all now...

Instructor: "I want you to set off now, and when I hit my book on the dashboard, I want you to do an emergency stop"

Excellent, I really did LOL.

Can you tell me which instructors car he sat his test as the claim of 38 mph seems to be a very precise figure and i now that some of the instructors have a 2nd speedo that the examiner can see.Most driving school cars have speedos that are easuily visible from the passengers seat.It sounds as if your mate has gone to hard from a standing start and the examiner has simply looked at the speedo before ordering the emergency stop.As i said would be interested to know what type of car was used.

I could understand the examiner mentioning his speed if he thought he was a little over the limit but for him to put the speed at 38mph would suggest that he checked for himself what the speed was.

You can appeal against the failed test. But what if your friend has the same examiner for test number 2 - the examiner will probably have a grudge against your friend as they said the examiner couldn't do his job properly...it's wrong but likely to happen!

Anyways, don't the examiners have a 'quota' for each month on the amount of people they pass? ;)

(P.s the above scenario did not happen to me, I passed first time :) )

Not prepared to believe the driving examiner but prepared to believe a guy can walk on water and heal the sick by touching them. I think someone needs a reality check.

That i found patronising and insulting. Tit.

That i found very funny. Cool.

Furthermore, if he saw my mate was at 38mph (therefore a automatic fail) why did he not stop the test at that point?

Because they never do that. They will normally allow you to complete the test, unless you are an out an out danger on the roads.

You are questioning somones judgement when you weren't even present. I fail to see how you can 'know' any better.

As the previous poster says, scan in the form and let's all have a gander to see if this is the only thing they 'failed' on.

My view is that in a situation like this, where one person has 'absolute say' over something so important as freedom to drive.. there needs to be a way of verifying the decision - in a similar way as suggested by WTF. Until then, an examiner can fail a candidate - and even if wrong to do so - no-one can do anything about it.

Edited by DjDan

I actually took the time and trouble to get you the wording from the Road Traffic Act which provides for appeals and told you where to get the regulations from which you will need to read before you can determine whether there are in fact any grounds for appeal.

Stop whining on the internet for five minutes and go and follow it up FFS!

I feel like that woman on the Fast Show - you know the "Excuse me, I'm here".

Edited by piebaps