The United States War On Drugs Has Failed

In Mexico the drugs have taken over. Not exactly a shining example of prohibition working, there is an interesting article in a recent NG about Mexico having new saints, it is very sad to read. The laws do need attention though.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

America is a funny place, all the fanfare of a war on drugs etc etc, and the biggest drug dealers in the world are its very own C.I.A., its a very well documented FACT.

whereelse would people imagine there black budget comes from, the money thats used to further american foriegn policy and oil interests.

It all came out years ago in the nixon scandal and oliver north trial, why would anyone think things have changed.

So they have there very own C.I.A. ensuring stability of supply from which ever country is de rigueur at the present time, to needing their own banks{front companies} to launder it.

yeah conspiricist bullshit i know, remember BCCI in the island going tits up, well theres absolutely no doubt about that being a c.i.a. front, so thats how close to home american drug policy hits here on the island.

There war on drugs was unwinable because wall street and the cia need the 700 billion a year that they raise this way.

Edited by mæŋksmən

The war on drugs was embarked upon after the collapse of the Soviet Union whan the US was short of bogeymen.

They had a bit of a go with Gadaffi but he was never going to be the kind of threat necessary to keep the US public frightend and compliant, or to justify the colossal arms budget. So the nebulous threat of drugs was ramped up to defcom 1 level

It was always going to be a non-starter because 30% the US poulation were already fraternizing with the enemy

Thank god Bin Laden came along and saved the day

if you tell a child not to do some thing.

what would he or she do???

or 4 say if you ban a child from some thing

what would the child want to do?

he or she would be uber curious to find dout why they are banded & would he or she to invetergate?

i say live & let live

I see on iomtoday the 'Mick Jagger' poll is currently 75% in favour of legalisation.

That broadly fits in with what overall public opinion actually is I reckon.

Most sensible folks know that people who want drugs will get drugs whether they're legal or illegal, and whether or not they run the risk of jail and criminalisation or not, (as prohibition of alcohol in the States neatly proved), as such, may as well cut the violent crime out of the equation and just sell the stuff legally with some tax on top.

You'll still have to deal with the societal consequences, (see again, alcohol), but at least the simple means of production and acquisition won't be crimes in and of themselves.

I simply don't know what to make of drugs policy, and I am not certain that the US prohibition of alcohol is particularly helpful in understanding how usage of drugs would change if the current legal restraints were relaxed.

In the US prior to prohibition alcohol was legal, brewers existed, their supply networks existed, the bars and pubs existed. It was acceptable and "normal" to go to such places.

I am not particularly surprised that when prohibition was brought in it drove the alcohol industry underground and had only a minor impact, if at all, on alcohol consumption.

With drugs the legal suppliers, networks, bars and pubs don't, and have never, existed. If anyone knows a survey which asks "do you know where/how to get illegal drugs" I'd be interested to know the answer, but I imagine its "reasonably" low - what the heck maybe I should start a poll!

If drugs were legalized that would all change.

Alcohol prohibition failed, it hardly affected consumption and simply criminalized supply; driving it into the hands of organized crime.

The supply and social acceptance of alcohol was already there and basically remained through prohibition. I am not convinced at all that de-prohibition of drugs would similarly unaffect the supply and social acceptance of them.

I believe that drug de-prohibition would result in a large increase in comsumption, and that the social cost of that makes it a very complex calculation to weigh the costs and benefits of the policy.

My belief is that drug use causes serious social problems. I am not convinced that reducing the price would necessarily stop crime, I suspect it would just increase consumption (buying more with the same cash flow) - and the addict would still want to fund their now bigger habit as much as possible - even if it meant stealing.

And with more addicts the problems of relationship and family break down, joblessness, and the health consequences of addiction would increase.

These aren't simple cheap problems to solve and the idea that they would be uneffected by ending prohibition isn't clear to me at all.

How should a community regulate substances which if misused can cause serious social problems? I fully admit alcohol policy is a mess, but that makes me concerned about going the same way with drugs.

Alot of the issue is social attitudes etc. and how to ensure individual responsibility and sensible usage - we just aren't there with alcohol and the idea that de-prohibiting drugs will result in a sudden discovery of responsibility isn't, for me, convincing at all.

I definitely don't believe the status quo is acceptable, but how to change it isn't clear to me at all!

Most sensible folks know that people who want drugs will get drugs whether they're legal or illegal, and whether or not they run the risk of jail and criminalisation or not, (as prohibition of alcohol in the States neatly proved), as such, may as well cut the violent crime out of the equation and just sell the stuff legally with some tax on top.

But Taking drugs is illegal. During prohibition of alcohol in the US, drinking alcohol was not illegal. What was illegal was producing it for commercial purposes, and I believe it was illegal to produce alcohol from grain (e.g. whiskey and beer).

However, it was perfectly legal to make and drink your own wine - up to a limit of 200 gallons, if I remember correctly. And it was perfectly legal to "give it away".

I see on iomtoday the 'Mick Jagger' poll is currently 75% in favour of legalisation.

poll? link please!

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/poll/Make-your-vote-count.3552848.jp

Just been looking over the 'Test Bed' article, the interesting part being the results of the online poll and low and behold there doesn't seem to be access to the results anywhere, are the result available to the public?