Uk And Irish Airports Closed

Sean South

They just said on Sky that most if not all airports in the British Isles will be closed by tomorrow afternoon. I hope 'there's a boat in the mornin Yessir!' It looks like the ash cloud is back with a vengence for the next few days. Interesting graphic on here Just give it a couple of seconds to load and run

Edited by Sean South

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Airport Information when you ring up says that they believe that Manx Airspace is closed until Midnight tonight therefore no flights on Sunday. However is there any official info on the Manx Governmenmt website? Well what do you think.

I am meant to be catching a flight later today. I am happy enough if it is cancelled but I really would like to know so that I can reorganise my day, not end up packing, getting to the airport, cancele or reorganise accomodation, but the Manx government are giving out zip information to assist.

Airport Information when you ring up says that they believe that Manx Airspace is closed until Midnight tonight therefore no flights on Sunday. However is there any official info on the Manx Governmenmt website? Well what do you think.

I am meant to be catching a flight later today. I am happy enough if it is cancelled but I really would like to know so that I can reorganise my day, not end up packing, getting to the airport, cancele or reorganise accomodation, but the Manx government are giving out zip information to assist.

NI and Ronaldsway were mentioned specifically by NATS on BBC Breakfast news this morning as being closed from 7am. A decision is to be made by Nats at 1pm, so Ronaldsway etc. have to wait for that decision. But I agree that doesn't help people too much. Personally with a SW wind, I expect whatever is over Ireland will be over us a few hours later, so I wouldn't be packing anything.

From the Nats website:

A high density volcanic ash cloud is rapidly encroaching on Northern Ireland and the Isle of Man. As a result, a no-fly zone has been imposed by the CAA in airspace over parts of Northern Ireland.

Restrictions apply to Belfast International, Belfast Harbour & Ronalsdway (Isle of Man) airports from 0700 (local) until 1300 on Sunday 16 May.

The Irish Authorities have also advised of restrictions on airfields in NW Ireland from 0700 (local). Dublin and Shannon airports will remain open until 1300.

There are currently no other restrictions within UK airspace. We are working closely with the Met Office and with the CAA, which agrees no-fly zones based on Met Office data, and will issue any further notice on this website as necessary.

BBC Link

Well, Airport Information is more or less 'the horses mouth' isn't it? Why would you want confirmation from the Govt? Is Arkwright flying the plane?

Why not just go to www.iom-airport.com? It's fairly clear on there.

But it is not clear.....the latest news from the IOM Airport website is dated 21st April.

It displays flights up to 13:00 cancelled on the arrivals /departure boards but nothing else.

Why does the government not update their websites. I had to find out from the Manx Radio site and this is typical.

This government need to do much much more with their web presence as most sites look amateurish to say the least!

But it is not clear.....the latest news from the IOM Airport website is dated 21st April.

It displays flights up to 13:00 cancelled on the arrivals /departure boards but nothing else.

Why does the government not update their websites. I had to find out from the Manx Radio site and this is typical.

This government need to do much much more with their web presence as most sites look amateurish to say the least!

The problem I have is that Airport Information advised me this morning IoM airspace is closed until midnight. However that is not reflected on their web site, it is only flights to 13:00 that are cancelled and the flights this afternoon are not shown as being cancelled on the airlines websites. So what do I do. Take the word of Airport Information, find they were wrong and then miss flights etc at my cost and which I cannot claim back from anyone as I have no proof of what I was told or do I pack, travel several hours to the airport so I can fly back to the IoM only to get there and find my flight is cancelled.

I am happy to know it is going or it is cancelled. I just want to know for definite.

The problem I have is that Airport Information advised me this morning IoM airspace is closed until midnight. However that is not reflected on their web site, it is only flights to 13:00 that are cancelled and the flights this afternoon are not shown as being cancelled on the airlines websites. So what do I do. Take the word of Airport Information, find they were wrong and then miss flights etc at my cost and which I cannot claim back from anyone as I have no proof of what I was told or do I pack, travel several hours to the airport so I can fly back to the IoM only to get there and find my flight is cancelled.

I am happy to know it is going or it is cancelled. I just want to know for definite.

So, ahem, why...not... check.... WITH THE AIRLINE???????

So, ahem, why...not... check.... WITH THE AIRLINE???????

I have and they are saying presently they are not currently cancelled! Or they were when I recently checked. So I have airport information saying by telephone the airport will be closed all day but the airline saying the flights are not presently cancelled. I am going with airport information but I have had to rearrange plans and meetings, cancel hotels etc. Some of those people have flown half way across the world and it is difficult explaining that I will have to cancel because of flights being cancelled when they can check on a website and see that presently they say they are not!