Mea Shops--Loss Making Operation

MEA Shops  

234 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Bollox. I know the company won't appreciate me saying this but I am one of the people being made unemployed. I and my work colleagues have tried to give a good service repairing appliances that have broken down. I am gutted at losing my job, do I now go to the Government and ask for hand outs to help with my rent and bills. or because I am of the generation that doesn't sponge of the state do I set up by myself?

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

they want to do it again to waste more time and money, enough money to convince the consultant to say what they want to hear.

I so agree with you. Experts from across. How many times have I heard that. Usually from the Government, if not in Civil Service Middle Management, then 'Top' Consultants employed from 'over there' at

if the original purpose of MEA shops was to promote the use of electricity I think they are now redundant, and the only thing they now need is an office for advice and accounts etc. There's enough ret

How quick do you expect John Lewis staff to get here if anything goes wrong./ Thank-you for supporting the place that presumably pays your wages

They outsource it to a local company. Besides why on earth would i want to buy local and get charged 15% more. All the local companies do is import the goods and charge me a premium for it. If the goods were made on the island then that would be different but they're not. Blindly shopping local at any cost is just stupidity. You're not stupid are you Manxie?

I hope you get sorted before long. Have you thought of going alone? It may be a good time to do it. You're bound to have a lot of experience that's worth money in these strapped times.

If MEA staff are as expert as has been mentioned from time to time will they be able to get jobs using both their customer service and technical knowledge skills with Curry's?

I really hope Currys get the go ahead. We should be careful what we wish for. I buy a lot of white goods, and have done recently. I've found the MEA very competitive and very helpful. This is one area of goods where I can't seem to get good deals online delivered to the island. And I end up paying considerably more than I would on the mainland. Most other goods aren't like that.

Why don't you do us all a favour & fuck off and live on the "mainland" then you feckless little wanker?

If me and work mate can sort out finance I think we may well go for it. We'll have to forget the others that work in the dept but it's a case of fuck you jack I'm in the lifeboat. we couldn't carry on with all 6 of the staff who are in repairs and make a living but with 2 I think we may be able to make it work

No one is pleased that it has come to this, job losses but just what you say above, six of us, that is the problem surely if you think you can make it pay with only 2?

If you are planning on going out on your own/with a partner get in contact with the Yellow Pages or whatever it is called now as they start the entries for next years Phone Book a lot earlier than you think and its easy to miss the deadline. Its one of the most cost effective ways of advertising IMO for services such as you are planning.

On a more general point about this, I have a feeling that if the gov are doing this, at this time, we may well be in more trouble financially than they are letting on. There are a lot of people employed at the MEA shops plus there is the big warehouse staff and as Zephyr says six in the workshop. Thats a whole lot more people than they fretted over letting go at the Railways, It must be really bad for them to do this?

If me and work mate can sort out finance I think we may well go for it. We'll have to forget the others that work in the dept but it's a case of fuck you jack I'm in the lifeboat. we couldn't carry on with all 6 of the staff who are in repairs and make a living but with 2 I think we may be able to make it work

Get a CV / profile written and then get in contact with Currys / Dixons (whichever it is).

And good luck, I've only ever had good service from the MEA.

On a more general point about this, I have a feeling that if the gov are doing this, at this time, we may well be in more trouble financially than they are letting on.

According to AB it's between 80m and 100m to be removed from the annual budget. Currently the reserves are being used to soften the blow. Some of the MHK's just think they can vote money into existence.

Listening to the radio today there were people who were commenting on the amount of staff in the showrooms 24. They didn't take into account the 6 of us in repairs and only 1 employee in the warehouse, the rest in the warehouse are G4s employee's

How quick do you expect John Lewis staff to get here if anything goes wrong./ Thank-you for supporting the place that presumably pays your wages

Many major companies out-source the support to local companies.

So you can assure anyone buying goods from across that they will receive the same backup as the MEA provided?

Many major companies out-source the support to local companies.

So you can assure anyone buying goods from across that they will receive the same backup as the MEA provided?

Sure, that's the theory. If your HP computer breaks then it is normally not HP who come to fix it, it'll be their agent. Many small support operations have these sort of contracts with the larger suppliers. Whether it's better than the MEA - I doubt it, but it can be as good.

They outsource it to a local company. Besides why on earth would i want to buy local and get charged 15% more. All the local companies do is import the goods and charge me a premium for it. If the goods were made on the island then that would be different but they're not. Blindly shopping local at any cost is just stupidity. You're not stupid are you Manxie?

Stupid enough to reply to this. If your idea of a perfect society is one which achieves everything at no matter what cost to the rest, then yes I am stupid in the sense that I try to think of the repercussions of what I do on other people. Gullible , probably, but I would rather try to buy everything I can on the Island. It is just the way some of us are, we care about the place where we live. It is one of the downs of living on an Island that things are probably going to be more expensive. One of the ups is the Tax system which allows you and I to pay much less than we would in England. It probably balances out, but if you and apparently many others continue to buy from across then something will have to give. Mabye the MEA situation is the start