Mea Shops--Loss Making Operation

MEA Shops  

234 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Bollox. I know the company won't appreciate me saying this but I am one of the people being made unemployed. I and my work colleagues have tried to give a good service repairing appliances that have broken down. I am gutted at losing my job, do I now go to the Government and ask for hand outs to help with my rent and bills. or because I am of the generation that doesn't sponge of the state do I set up by myself?

Please do not be proud but do sign on and claim if only for your National Insurance contributions. This is very important as if there are any gaps it may affect your state pension and other Benefits later on....

There is no shame. They can only say no and if you are entitled then you will get it whatever it is...After all, they have taxed it off you all these years and it is better off in your pocket than in the Government's coffers...

In the meantime, do whatever you think right to get a job or work for yourself but if you are laid off then there is no shame in going through the motions of signing on..Ships have lifeboats/rafts for a similar purpose.

...Many years ago, in the early 1990s when the Island went into recession, I was a seasonal worker and was late by three weeks in signing on for NI which was all I was then entitled to not being entitled to any Benefits at all...

I was warned about not signing on immediately and told back then that it was unlawful not to sign on the moment you became unemployed...(Apparently the Island benefits viz a viz the agreement with the UK)

If there is any redundancy, wages in hand etc then this may affect the situation but sign on anyway for your own future...

...You are not sponging but I agree that it is embarrassing and I was even then an older worker and recall standing in the line stretching from Markwell House to almost the top of Well Hill by (then) Safeways.

Sign on! And if you get sorted...then sorted!

But if laid off you are not a scrounger remember that!...The scroungers don’t even have a job to get laid off from!

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

they want to do it again to waste more time and money, enough money to convince the consultant to say what they want to hear.

I so agree with you. Experts from across. How many times have I heard that. Usually from the Government, if not in Civil Service Middle Management, then 'Top' Consultants employed from 'over there' at

if the original purpose of MEA shops was to promote the use of electricity I think they are now redundant, and the only thing they now need is an office for advice and accounts etc. There's enough ret

I did sign on once back in 1977 ish, because I had left my employment I couldn't get any money for 6 weeks I found a job in 5 weeks. It was at the Douglas carpet factory (if you are old enough to remember) but I have never taken a penny from the state and I don't intend to start now.

Nah I won't sign on. I prefer the option of working for what I have, not being given it for sitting on my ass and watching shite on TV

Do sign on, the NI payments are important. There may well be gov. assistance still for people starting their own operation.

I did sign on once back in 1977 ish, because I had left my employment I couldn't get any money for 6 weeks I found a job in 5 weeks. It was at the Douglas carpet factory (if you are old enough to remember) but I have never taken a penny from the state and I don't intend to start now.

I'm old enough to remember, just from Ramsey and had no idea there was a carpet factory in Douglas. Back then I had other priorities...

And SIGN ON. Gaps in employment can / will reduce your state pension and possibly the Manx pension supplement.

But you won't be sitting on your arse watching shite TV will you now?

You will be up and about doing will you not?

You will at the very least if fully paid up with National Insurance (as you will be) receive Job Seekers Allowance (JSA) which is a right you have built up through paying National Insurance (NI)...Bet if you crashed your car (or more relevant someone crashed into you) you'd be claiming off the premiums you paid in and that is "National Insurance".

JSA replaced "the Dole" years and years ago...JSA is pocket money to help you with 'bus fares etc...If you get JSA you sign a contract to actively seek work and have to keep a job seeking diary!

On top of JSA you will get whatever you need and no more! This will be tempered by whatever you get in the way of redundancy and/or wages in lieu/holiday pay etc...It will be means tested subject to your savings and etc and you will be a fool not to go through the claiming process even if only for a few weeks.

JSA (and any bits extra) is paid as a bit of cash to help you find a job. You are not sponging off the state as if you do not claim then the state is sponging off you!

Of course, you may not need it!

However, if you do not claim now it may count against any Benefits you may need if you do not get (a) a job or (b) get self-employed.

Yes, it is a bad experience but depends on your age...I know someone who was like you and struggled from age 60-64 and then took my advice and now signs on once and for all no more and gets £171 a week until 65 and then gets even more!

If you get JSA you can claim and get Benefits signing on every two weeks until you get fixed up and then tell them and they sign you off..

You use the money to get sorted but you may not get any money from "the State" until you have used up any redundancy, back pay etc...and the whole lot is affected by savings...

Just sign on, tell 'em the truth and then use any Benefits to get another job or get set up!...Tell 'em....They will help you!!!!

If you tell ‘em what you are doing then you are not a scrounger!

Work is a four letter word

Trouble it has come my way

Redundancy it looms

Doom has raised it’s ugly head

I’m fucked it’s fair to assume

I’m going down to Douglas

To sign on right away

Where all the deadbeats play

I thought I had myself a job

To last my whole life through

But that’s been taken from me

I’m screwed what about you?

To sign on right away

I’m goin to get my rent paid

My leci bill as well

I goin to claim the social

And bleed you all to hell

To sign on right away

I used to wake enlivened

Work so willingly

Now I am so much scrap on the yard

It’s a doley I’m goin be

To sign on right away

Between 1990 and 1993 I worked in an amusement arcade called "Funland" (or if Arnold Petter is reading this "Fundland")...located in what is now (last I looked) "River Island"....We had all the deadbeats march down from Markwell House to "Funland" on "Dole Day" when dear old Jack Karran was in the cash desk....That is when you are a "Douglas Deadbeat" and not if you "sign on" ' cos "Hovis" left it to the last minute and binned you by proxy...Sign On...get Sorted...Enjoy!

Carpet factory...Hills Meadow Douglas...Yes, about the time I set foot on the Island and then it closed...

Carpet factory...Hills Meadow Douglas...Yes, about the time I set foot on the Island and then it closed...

Yes, it probably heard the continuous bollocks you talk and commited the company version of suicide

From: Gus Elen Musical Artiste 1906 a wax cylinder recording.

Wait Till the Work Comes Round

Some people knuckle down through being out of work,

But I ain't one of them, not me.

If a gaffer starts to nag,

I soon picks up me bag

And I flops him one with this, you see...

It don't do to make people think you're out of work,

Cause they're bound to turn their heads the other way.

It makes no odds to me what the future's going to be

So long as I've got all I want today...

Chorus: So, what's the use of kicking up a row

If there ain't no work about?

If you can't get a job, you can rest in bed

Till the school kids all come out.

And if you can't get work, you can't get the sack--

That's an argument that's sensible and sound.

So, lay your head back on your pillow,

And read the Daily Mirror;

And wait till the work comes round.

When trade gets very rocky and you has to take the nocky,

It's best to face the music like a brick.

And if creditors come down on you for everything you own,

You should bash them on the crumpet with a stick!

A lot of people walk the streets, a-looking out for work

Till they haven't got a leg to call their own;

Instead of just a-waiting for the work to come to them,

With their feet stuck on the mantle-piece at home... (Chorus)

Does anyone know how much the MEA are paying for their shop in the Strand? The ELC shop is on Chrystals website for £48,750 plus VAT and I am sure that is a lot smaller than the MEA.

http://www.chrystals...DER-OFFER-99133

How much will they be paying for the shop they're in? £80,000 plus VAT a year? WOW!

Plus the rates are almost £6000 a year too!

Will they lower the cost of electricity or reinstall the rebate? Will they hell!!!

Meme

Edited by manxiememe