Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
the 619

Jj Abrams-Super 8

Oh dear...sounds a bit like the way I felt after watching Monsters.

Monsters was the biggest pile of pap I have ever had the misfortune of watching.

Totally mis-sells itself as a monster flick, more like a boring arse love story which by the way has next to know monsters in it.

The characters were 2 dimensional and the dialouge was awful (I always wanted to work behind a cash register).

When I checked IMDB afterwards to see the heck was going on, I was amused.

All of the people giving this flim 9 out of 10 stars were saying that "you have to look at the sub story which is the Americans are the Monsters".

What was amusing is that the director went on record saying this wasnt the case. Got to love movie darlings.

All of the people giving this flim 9 out of 10 stars were saying that "you have to look at the sub story which is the Americans are the Monsters".

It was quite an impressive effort given the budget....and I applaud any time of "guerilla" film making...however like you say the dialogue was terrible...the pacing was all over the place...and the sub-text lacked subtelty.

Some touching moments and decent visuals given the tech he used.....and dont even start on the "twist"....

Sigh.

I had heard rumours the director had done the whole film on $15,000 and lot of the shots were done without any sort of permissions.

A terrible film.

Either make a love drama or a monster flick. Not a good combination.

Oh dear...sounds a bit like the way I felt after watching Monsters.

Sorry dude, did you think I was referring to a different film then?

Would have to agree on the pace of the thing (hence why I fell asleep first time around I guess!).

PLEASE, do NOT let Super8 suck...

Anyone been to see Super 8 yet - is it even showing over here?

Watched it at the weekend (courtesy of American DJ Howard Stern who seems to have had his preview copy leaked all over the internet)

Pretty decent, not what I was expecting. Seems to be a mish mash of ET, The Goonies and Stand by Me with hints of Lost thrown in for good measure.

Watched it too. Was left very underwhelmed. I wanted more backstory and less kids.

Damn, this was THE film I was looking forward to this year. I'll not waste a night in the cinema then.

Anything else on the horizon worth looking at ans? What about some of the comic book stuff coming up?

Most of the summer tentpoles have been and gone. Nothing coming up in the comic book mould for a while now. 2012 is big though, with new Batman, Spiderman and Avengers.

One thing I'm really looking forward to is Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1340800/

The Thing remake might be interesting too.

That sounds like my kind of film, thanks. I'm up for Batman / Spiderman too, I've enjoyed them so far.

Captain America not tickling your fancy then?

I've not seen it. I was never a big fan of the character.