The World Cup Thread

Terse

Dan, it's not in the same league as Maradona or Henry they were deliberately cunning, the Uruguayan acted on instinct. And, normally, it's a transgression that carry a stiff penalty - you lose a goal & a man.

I think the rule is wrong though, the goal should stand as if the handball never happened.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Uruguay are disgusting. They deserve an international ban

CHEATS! CHEATS! CHEATS!

Worse than Maradona's hand of God. Worse than Henry's disgrace.

This is ridiculous.

Why? Reflex move that most players would have done. Best game of the cup so far! Nailbiting edge-of-seat stuff. Ghana got a penalty, bottled it - then bottled it again in the shootout - tough luck...

Reflex? are you kidding me? He meant that in every way possible.

You simply cannot defend cheating like that.

It's the world cup - people do crazy things and that includes players. That's what rules and the ref are there for.

DJDan you clearly don't understand the game of football, or the concept of time and reactions either it seems.

Uruguay should be banned? Seriously, you need to get a grip if you genuinely believe that. I'm gutted for Ghana, I really wanted them to win and felt they deserved it, but what Suarez did was instinctive and is the difference between his team going home, and his team getting to the semi finals of the World Cup. He'll quite rightly be a hero in Uruguay for that.

It was a reflex. Of course it was, get yourself a stopwatch and measure the time from shot to it hitting his hand, and then tell me he planned it.

It was cheating, as is being offside, as is fouling someone, as is a foul throw. The laws of the game may be shit that there's no penalty goal given for that, but if you think that it would have been any different had it been any other player in the tournament in that position you're even more naive than you already appeared to be.

I'm with DJDan. Uruguay benefited from a deliberate act of cheating. I don't think they should be banned etc, but it's a pretty poor turn of events that will go unpunished. Great example for the millions of kids watching eh?

And anyone who thinks Suarez should be a hero has pretty low level of sportsmanship.

As probably the lone Uruguay fan on this forum, and quite possibly one of the only ones outside Uruguay after tonight, I'm obviously delighted that we've gone through but I'd have been happier if it wasn't under such a cloud.

Anyone who says it's a reflex action is talking nonsense. If that's in the first minute of the game, he doesn't handle it, Ghana score. In the final minute of extra time, with what would probably have been the last kick of the game in a World Cup quarter final? Yes, he did it deliberately and I think you'd struggle to find a professional footballer who wouldn't have done the same under those circumstances. Suarez has taken the decision to sacrifice himself to give his team a sliver of hope they could stay in the match and on this occasion, it worked out.

I feel deeply sorry for Ghana, they played exceptionally well and carried the hopes of an entire continent on their shoulders. On the balance of the whole game, they probably deserved to win.

What needs to change is the rules. Anyone trying to compare this to the Henry or Maradona handball would do well to remember that both of those went unpunished. Suarez committed the offence, he's been punished under the rules of the game and that's pretty much it. It's clear that in this example, the rules are inadequate and that football, much like rugby have done, need to consider introducing a "penalty goal" that can be awarded in situations like this.

I can't condone his actions, but I can understand them.

Dan, you don't understand football - when in possession of the ball the game is about trickery, deception, when not it is about making the correct risk assessments while deciding how to stop the other team scoring. Teams very rarely go a full game without conceding a free kick or penalty, and very few of these are genuine mistakes. Deciding whether to concede a free-kick / penalty or risk the other side scoring is part of the game. To risk a red card and penalty by handling on the line in the first minute of a two-legged fixture would be reckless, to do it in the last minute of a knockout game is a great move. It isn't cheating anymore than hacking someone in the box is. Having said that, the referee deserves credit for spotting it.

I'm all in favour of refs using TV footage to assist in their decisions though, the replay footage at this World Cup has been excellent, and for the first time I can remember there haven't been any dubious decisions that we haven't been able to clarify by means of video playback.

As probably the lone Uruguay fan on this forum, and quite possibly one of the only ones outside Uruguay after tonight, I'm obviously delighted that we've gone through but I'd have been happier if it wasn't under such a cloud.

Anyone who says it's a reflex action is talking nonsense. If that's in the first minute of the game, he doesn't handle it, Ghana score. In the final minute of extra time, with what would probably have been the last kick of the game in a World Cup quarter final? Yes, he did it deliberately and I think you'd struggle to find a professional footballer who wouldn't have done the same under those circumstances. Suarez has taken the decision to sacrifice himself to give his team a sliver of hope they could stay in the match and on this occasion, it worked out.

I feel deeply sorry for Ghana, they played exceptionally well and carried the hopes of an entire continent on their shoulders. On the balance of the whole game, they probably deserved to win.

What needs to change is the rules. Anyone trying to compare this to the Henry or Maradona handball would do well to remember that both of those went unpunished. Suarez committed the offence, he's been punished under the rules of the game and that's pretty much it. It's clear that in this example, the rules are inadequate and that football, much like rugby have done, need to consider introducing a "penalty goal" that can be awarded in situations like this.

I can't condone his actions, but I can understand them.

Spot on literally!

As the rules stand the ball has to cross the line for a goal to be given , the ball never crossed the line therefore no goal , the refere did everything correctly as the rules stand.

Love how I don't understand football, because I've called this for what it is - cheating.

That aside, Ans is right. The rules don't do justice, and there ought to be the automatic penalty goal. Suarez was not punished at all. A red card is nothing when there is no more to play for. It was the last touch of the game. The only thing he has been suspended from is the potential to play in a game which by rights, he shouldn't have the opportunity to play. There is no punishment.

This is of course all in the rules of the game, but the rules are not sufficient. If this action prevented England from going through to the semi-finals.. we'd never hear the end of it. Every newspapers would be declaring war on Suarez. However, because it is another team, we're happy to ignore it. That doesn't however change exactly how bad it is.

Anyone who mocks Gyan for 'bottling' it is clueless. There was more pressure in that penalty than any other. To suddenly have a knock out penalty thrown on you. Gyan did fantastically well, he had the keeper beaten, but just a little too much height. He's scored 3 penalty's out of 4 in this world cup. A great penalty taker.

Read this

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/43369-solskjaers-greatest-moments-red-card-vs-newcastle

Deliberately infringing on the rules of the game to prevent a certain goal. Sound familiar?

It's not cheating, Suarez had no intention of deceiving anyone. he broke the rules of the game and was punished in accordance with the rules of the game. Whether the rules should be changed to prevent this is a whole other argument.

Diving, feigning injury, trying to claim for throw ins when you know you were the last to touch it, things like that are cheating. This? Nah.