The World Cup Thread

Terse

Kaka's sending-off was the worst since the 1966 WC, when Argentinian ace Rattín was sent off in a game against England because, according to the ref, 'he didn't like how he had looked at him'! England were allowed an offside goal that won the game, but the English manager nevertheless refused to allow the English team to swap shirts at the end of the game, and branded the Argentinians 'animals' in the press - apparently because Rattin complained about his sending off, and sat on the Queen's red carpet.

As for handball on the line Dan - if you can handle it i refer you to the disgusting cheating to be found at about 1:30 into this clip. That was the 1966 World Cup Semi-Final, and, if you can handle the outrage, i have to inform you that Jack Charlton didn't get carded for it, nor did he miss the subsequent final - won thanks to two goals - one that didn't cross the line, and another with the assistance of a crowd pitch invasion ("they're on the field").

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This World Cup has made me dislike Football even more. Something I'm quite sad about. One of the most memorable days of my life was Man U getting the Treble in 1999. The whole of my pub screaming for Man United to win.

Considering the pub and the clientele, I was quite amazed.

However, I wish more people had seen this game

What an amazing match and no cheeky chappies trying to take the piss with a sneaky bit of cheating.

Everyone's game played by real men.

The arrogance of today's footballers rattles me so much.

Edited by Bananaman

This World Cup has made me dislike Football even more. Something I'm quite sad about. One of the most memorable days of my life was Man U getting the Treble in 1999. The whole of my pub screaming for Man United to win.

Considering the pub and the clientele, I was quite amazed.

However, I wish more people had seen this game

What an amazing match and no cheeky chappies trying to take the piss with a sneaky bit of cheating.

Everyone's game played by real men.

The arrogance of today's footballers rattles me so much.

This might interest you Bananaman:

http://www.manxforums.com/forums/index.php?app=forums&module=post&section=post&do=new_post&f=5

In the end, it was probably 'justice' that Uruguayans didn't go through. At the same time, Netherlands had a fair amount of luck - and a couple of brilliant goals!

Anyone care to place odds on Van Bommel being sent off in the final?

Hahahaha Uruguay. Cheating doesn't get you far does it? Uruguay will be remembered for how they cheated their way into the semi finals... and nothing more!

Suarez.. the fool.

The record will show that they finished either third or fourth... nothing more.

Holland outplayed us really. They fully deserved to go through to the final.

If you'd have offered us 3rd or 4th before it all started, we'd have been delighted. Great WC campaign for us. Viva Le Celeste.

Just like Ghana outplayed you, and fully deserved to go through to the semi-finals? :P haha

Still.. it will always be Uruguay 1 - 2 Ghana. No Suarez cheating can change that.

You're the human equivalent of a mosquito.

And this thread shows what a deluded fool your are DJDan.Ghana lost to Uruguay.And you have shown the same smuggness typical of a religious nut.

How Van Bommel stayed on the pitch last night I will never know.

Aaaaaah, van Bommel. As they said on the telly, he's living a charmed life. Apparently he's committed 14 fouls in this World Cup, much more than anyone else. History was made in the 94th minute against Uruguay, when he was finally shown a yellow card.

As for this tournament, I have enjoyed it on the whole. And still three games to be played. Was there ever any tournament played without any major controversies? I doubt it.

As for this tournament, I have enjoyed it on the whole.

I think its been one of the poorer competitions for a while...a few stand out games (swiss beating the spanish..and the kiwis holding the italians)...but in terms of flair and technical excellence, its been sadly lacking IMHO.

Great opener for the cloggies yesterday...although van Bommels horrendous over the top tackle in the build up shouldnt have gone unpunised....as they said on the commentary, the fact that the guys just got up and got on with it went against him...

One other thing to come out of it is that FIFA need to have an overhaul of some of the rules....

video technology should be introduced,

there should be the ability to award a goal in the event of blatant hand ball on the line (like the penalty try in rugby)

diving needs to be clamped down on

a player shouldnt have to leave the pitch if he receives treatment for a foul committed on him

Ban those fucking horns....

the list goes on....

They need to realise this is supposed to be an entertainment industry not a global marketing exercise.....and this World Cup has lacked entertainment