The World Cup Thread

They need to realise this is supposed to be an entertainment industry not a global marketing exercise.....and this World Cup has lacked entertainment

Isn't it sad that it can't just be a great sporting event?

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So Paul the psychic octopus once again got it right!

Well done Spain and come on Uruguay for 3rd place! I wonder who Paul is predicting for that match?

PS: of course one has to remember that Paul is a German octopus so he would obviously be very efficient in his forecasts.

Edited by manshimajin

Is Amadeus kaput? He normally posts quickly after a Germany match...

Paul, the psychic octopus, has picked Spain to win the final and Germany to win the runners-up match.

Octopi are smart creatures. Living as he does in Germany, Paul, having picked Spain to beat Germany in the semis, has now probably got half an eye on survival. Pick Uruguay and he may have ended up stewed in tomato sauce.

Edited by manshimajin

The Last Word on England?

England's performance at South Africa 2010 was officially their worst at a World Cup finals, according to Fifa.

The governing body's post-tournament rankings placed Fabio Capello's side 13th out of the 32 teams following their tame exit in the last 16.

Their previous worst placing was 11th in 1958 and this summer's ranking is seven places lower than England's showing at the last two tournaments.

Japan, Chile, Portugal and the US were all higher than England in the table, while 2006 World Cup winners Italy were 26th and France, who triumphed in 1998, were 29th after their dismal group stage exits.

That ranking seems about fair. England were worse in the 92 Euro Champs, though. I'm not entirely sure what all the soul searching is about, did we really expect much better? The current lot were a good, but not World beating International side, minus three former mainstays (Ferdinand, Owen, Bechkam) for whom this is was a tournament too far. They'll be back.

Isn't the Dutch moaning about the ref comical?

I didn't watch the final - seems I didn't miss much.

However the much-maligned 3rd and 4th sort-out was an excellent game.

You did not miss much but Psychic Paul was right for both games and the 3-4 match was one of the best of the tournament. I am just sorry that Uruguay lost but at least Diego Forlan got the Golden Shoe award for the finest player at this year’s finals. He had a fantastic tournament - probably helped that he left MU...

Edited by manshimajin