Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
When Skies Are Grey

The Walking Dead

no it's on FX on Friday at 10pm....I just couldn't wait ;)

Heh, gotcha. Best get it Sky+'d then......

Fuck me that was a good slice of telly.

Started off a little bit weakly with characters who didn't immediately click, and the initial zombie explanation wasn't wholly convincing either, (28 Days Later but not as well done, maybe all the 'Dead London' shots in 28 Days meant a USA version wasn't going to compare), but thereafter, it stepped up a gear and remained superb right to the closing credits.

What I particularly liked was there was no 'I'M GOING TO DO SOMETHING REALLY STUPID BECAUSE I DON'T BELIEVE YOU AND TRIGGER A NEEDLESS ACTION SEQUENCE' - there was just the dull resignation of the characters and watching their humanity suffer in front of you, the essence of a compelling zombie tale. (Romero got this right in the fucking 60s, it's so good to see it done properly again.)

It's already got Darabont's mark all over it, which couldn't be better as this is the man who put out The Mist with its proper ending against serious audience and studio pressure to make it all Hollywood and stupid instead.

I suspect he'll really find his place with this series, he's got the time and the freedom to make this story work, and he also appears to have the money, the writers, the actors, and the production values to not have to cut any corners either.

Some very striking shots and compositions,

the bit there the dude couldn't quite face sniping out his undead wife despite his obvious rage and grief, whilst the Sheriff apologised to a pitiful and clearly 'dying' (again!) zombie was hugely effective, and I'm fascinated to see where Darabont goes with the whole thing.

It's even got a half-decent explanation of the transformation and why there are dead, 'alive' dead, and normal humans, too.

Most definitely looking forward to the second episode, excellent stuff all round.

Aye, watched this the other night. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Looking forward to ep2

can see where the left 4 dead makers got their inspiration from now - Ep2 is more of the same and still very good

great news about the 2nd series...can't wait to see how, when and if Michonne will appear; and whether or not they'll attempt to tackle the "governor" from the comic books ( arguably one of the best villians ever! ).

Episode 2 is very good.

Seems the 'normal' programme length is 44 minutes and not the 66 minutes of the opener.

For all intents and purposes the production values, acting and script are as good if not better than most films.

Although the black dude and his son from the first episode appear to have vanished completely, and it did have a bit of a Dawn of the Dead vibe to it.

wow that was fantastic, the third episode was brilliant...

The show seems to be taking on a life of its own, it's almost a complete re-imagination of comic books ( in a good way ).

I can't wait to see what happens next!