'harvest'

Digga

post-1039-127677334263_thumb.jpg

Photographs by Phil Kneen

Words by Trevor Gibbs

On the 17th June 2010 an exhibition opens at the Villa Marina, Douglas, commemorating the tragic events that surrounded the sinking of the scallop dredger Solway Harvester 10 years ago. Through a series of photographs and interviews the story will be told by those most directly affected by the tragedy, to produce what will hopefully be a fitting and lasting tribute to the memory of the Solway Harvester and the incredible efforts made by the Isle of Man to recover the boat and its crew.

The exhibition is being held until the end of July, so please come along and support it. It is a story that has grown in the telling over the past months and one that deserves to be heard properly.

(edit to add) starts on the left above the sofas and works its way around toward the kiosk and please sign the vistors book before you leave

Edited by Digga

Myself and my girlfriend went to this on Sunday. What a fantastic job Phil and Trevor have done. The accounts from the people involved are both distressful and hopeful. It made me very proud to be Manx, reading the work that Dudley Butt, Donald Gelling and the other men and woman of the island put into the rescue operation.

Trevors words are sombre and thoughtful and are partnered with Phils photographs perfectly, to tell the tale of this horrible event.

There was another couple viewing when we were there and they seemed to be experiencing the same lump on their throats we did. An Amazing story told with a deep understanding of exactley what it felt like to be part of the rescue mission and families affected.

I hope it is all compiled into a book, to serve as a fitting tribute to those who died and to be used as an appropriate history reference about the tragedy.

well done Phil and Trev

Myself and my girlfriend went to this on Sunday. What a fantastic job Phil and Trevor have done. The accounts from the people involved are both distressful and hopeful. It made me very proud to be Manx, reading the work that Dudley Butt, Donald Gelling and the other men and woman of the island put into the rescue operation.

Trevors words are sombre and thoughtful and are partnered with Phils photographs perfectly, to tell the tale of this horrible event.

There was another couple viewing when we were there and they seemed to be experiencing the same lump on their throats we did. An Amazing story told with a deep understanding of exactley what it felt like to be part of the rescue mission and families affected.

I hope it is all compiled into a book, to serve as a fitting tribute to those who died and to be used as an appropriate history reference about the tragedy.

well done Phil and Trev

Cannae really add much to what Oogie has said, well said sir

Excellent piece of work by all concerned, thanks to you all

Knowing plenty of fishermen and having been on trawlers myself it really did bring it all home

Was nice to feel proud of our government for a change once

_____

Only quibble would be why there was no poster or mention of it anywhere in the foyer or any directions to the exhibition ? and I imagine a lot of people would have trouble negotiating the sofas to read all the text, maybe this is by design but I believe it should have been given pride of place and people directed towards it, if you didn't already know it was there how would you know ? - this should be something everybody on the Island goes to see and reflect upon

Thanks for looking :)

Buggane,your 'quibble' has actually become a bit of a nightmare for us! The staff at the Villa don't seem to know the exhibition is there,even though it's been on display for a week?

Anyway,the very creative Martyn Cain is designing some posters and handouts for us to scatter around the place,if his artwork can't get people in,then nothing can(we did have promo stuff on order from Vistaprint,but that's a whole different disaster story....)

The sofas we can do nothing about,I'm afraid,but I do think they were an odd addition to an area that was designed specifically as an exhibition space.

Anyway,thanks to anyway else who goes to have a look and I hope you get something out of it.

Phil Kneen

Phil is indeed right, we have had some issues with the Villa re their level of understanding as to what actually exists beyond the confines of the reception area and the staff room. But we are getting there.

All I can say is thanks to all who have been to view it so far and for all the fantastic feedback. It's nice to know that 9 months of work was worth it. Please pass it on to others as well, because I do think that this is something that as many people over here should see as possible, if only to dispel a few of the misplaced myths that have surrounded the events of 10 years ago.

The recovery of the 'Solway Harvester', and particularly her crew, is something the Manx people should be proud of and I am glad that we have been able to go some way to telling the story behind the story.

agamaconsultants@gmail.com

http://www.agamaconsultants.co.uk

http://lizardwandering.blogspot.com

If you need any help putting out flyers / posters then let me know - as I say everybody on the Island should visit this exhibition its important

As for the Villa - no suprises, are they making any money out of it ? .... think that answers the question, also noted that its not listed on the Villa / Gaiety website

If you need any help putting out flyers / posters then let me know - as I say everybody on the Island should visit this exhibition its important

As for the Villa - no suprises, are they making any money out of it ? .... think that answers the question, also noted that its not listed on the Villa / Gaiety website

Cheers Gypo,I really appreciate that. I'll get a few to you to circulate around the South :)